Material for Icehut Runners

Fishnwire

Can anyone recommend an easily obtainable material that would be good on the underside of the runners on my icehut? They are 14 feet long and 4 inches wide. People have suggested the plastic material used in ice rink construction. I've used it before and it works great but I have no idea where to get it or even what it's called.

-

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Not sure to get it (think I remember it from another forum) but look for Ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene (UHMW). This is what winter travellers use for their gear sleds and what most Komatiks have on their runners ( at least the ones I've seen and ridden in). I'll try and find the reference to a place that sells it. I believe they come in white or black for sure and could be a bit pricey but if you want slide and glide, this is what I'd be after.

Go to your local ice rink and ask the rink manager if he has any used "puck board".

If you can't get any from the rink you can always check out the local plastics companies such as Johnston Industrial Plastics down on the Lakeshore and buy some UHMW Polyethylene.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

Here in my region, all the hardware stores sell the stuff. It comes in sheets 4' x 8' and in as many thicknesses as plywood. It does not have to be very thick but I suggest 1/4 inch so that you can slightly counter-sink flat head screws to hold it in place. For the joints (in order to make it 14 feet long, you just bevel the ends at the joint. We call it "teflon" to keep things short and sweet.

Here in my region, all the hardware stores sell the stuff. It comes in sheets 4' x 8' and in as many thicknesses as plywood. It does not have to be very thick but I suggest 1/4 inch so that you can slightly counter-sink flat head screws to hold it in place. For the joints (in order to make it 14 feet long, you just bevel the ends at the joint. We call it "teflon" to keep things short and sweet.

Lexan works great. 1/4 inch works/old sled carbides and it toews like a dream....

:thumbsup_anim:

4 inch pvc pipe cut in half lengthways and then countersink screws into the runners. Heat the fronts and bend to the shape of the ski. For me it was the cheapest way to go and would slide easily.:thumbsup_anim:

This is what I used as well. Works great. I used 6", ripped it in half, and added a length of 2x2 under it, to fill in the space, and have something more solid to screw them too.

s.

if it can wait till next week or even later i may be able to help u out, if our schedules jive, send me a pm if so,

system supply is our supplier but are looking at about 60$ a sheet for 1/2",

if all u need is a few pieces 4" wide, i think we can work it out for a coffee

PM sent. Thanks in advance.

In the past I have used crazy carpet.

Cut it in strips and wrap the ski good and high and use roofing nails to attach it.

For the uhmw guys, snowmobile sliders are uhmw.

Go to a sled shop and ask them for the old sliders.

I once had a sales guy really ticked at me when he had a customer buying 4 $20.00 slides for his Otter sleigh and I took the guy aside and told him he could get sliders for free from the snowmobile dealer

• 2 weeks later...

What would angle iron be like mounted to the wood runners, so that the V portion was facing down onto the ice work like?

All I’m thinking is that these heavy wooden huts even with a 4” wide runner; rarely stay on top of the snow; but plow down through onto the ice. So why not use an angle iron to have the least amount of width being dragged; picture it as being more of a skate’s blade then a wide ski?

Just thinking out loud.

Dan.

355.jpg