Leaving Boat/Motor Outdoor in the Winter

alexw

Hi everyone,

I used to store my boat/motor in a unheated garage every winter. This year, I can't find a garage and am thinking to leave the boat/motor outdoors. My question is:

1. Is it ok to leave it outdoors after winterization?

2. I am planning to cover the boat/motor up with tarps, is it sufficient? Is there anything else I should watch out for?

Thanks,

Alex

You should be ok.Build yourself a frame out of 2x4's higher in the center, then put the tarps across.This will help keep the snow and ice from building up and settleing in the middle fo the tarp.

Dont forget to remove the drain plug in case water finds its way under the tarp.

Before the invention off fogging spray we ALWAYS left the boat outside with a couple of squirts of oil down the spark plug holes in the motor and the boat tarped.The 35hp 1960 is still running so we must have done something right.

vance

OOOHH wait this brings back memories of dad storing his 14 ft cedar strip in the DINNING room for the winter,no idea where the motor was but years later I asked how he managed that and he said it would have been CHEAPER to buy a new boat...

vance

As Paul said, you should be fine. I used to keep mine outside and I built a frame over it and added some 1/4" plywood before tarping it up. This positively shed the snow. The last few years, I kept it in one of those portable garages.

Drain everything, fog the motor, use stabilizer in the fuel and run it for 15 minutes before putting it away. Remove the battery and any LCD electronics. I've never had a problem in over 20 years doing it this way.

Thanks for all your responses! That's definitely a relief.

The only thing is the fogging part. I have a 90HP 4-stroke Mercury outboard. I never fogged the motor before since I have heard that it is not necessary to fog a 4-stroke. Is it true? If I do have to fog it, I am not sure how to do it. I used to own a 2-stroke and I just pull the spark plugs and fog into cylinders. But for this 4-stroke motor, I could not figure out how to fog it since the spark plugs seem to be deep inside and hard to access.

Thanks again!

Alex

When I had a 90 Merc 4 stroke I pulled the plugs and just squirted the fogging oil straight into the cylinders through the spark plug holes. Once it's all done, crank the engine just for a second and your good to go.

The top 3 plugs are easy to access but the bottom one is a bit tricky, so get your self an articulated socket wrench and then it's quite easy to get at it.

Edited by lew

One thing that no one has mentioned is mice , these little critters will get into everything ,so be carefull

if you have mice around your storage area !

I had a friend of mine get mice into his engine and they made a nest and stored all kinds of crap in there as

well as chewing up all his wiring.If I remember right it cost him several hundred bucks to fix !!

One thing that no one has mentioned is mice , these little critters will get into everything ,so be carefull

if you have mice around your storage area !

I had a friend of mine get mice into his engine and they made a nest and stored all kinds of crap in there as

well as chewing up all his wiring.If I remember right it cost him several hundred bucks to fix !!

Yep.......so to combat this get yourself a box of mothballs and put several in small plastic bags that you have already cut small holes in...place them in several areas INCLUDING under the motor cover...just remember to remove them come spring.

Yep.......so to combat this get yourself a box of mothballs and put several in small plastic bags that you have already cut small holes in...place them in several areas INCLUDING under the motor cover...just remember to remove them come spring.

I have only used Peppermint oil on cotton balls, for the last 5 years to repel mice in my boats ,cottage, and even a tent trailer, stored on the edge of a farmers field, behind a 100 year old abandoned farmhouse, ( lots of critters,) and have had no problems with mice for the last 5 years. Try it , it works.

I dont know if mice would be a major problem if you are storing the boat completely outdoors.Usually they are seeking a warm spot in a building or underground.Someplace where the snow will keep them insulated from the cold.A boat hull, on a trailer 2 feet above ground, would be a cold place to spend the winter.

I would think storing it inside would be more of an attraction to mice, than keeping it in a backyard.

just remove the seats and cushions and life jackets etc. But put some moth balls in anyways, just to be sure.

I dont know if mice would be a major problem if you are storing the boat completely outdoors.Usually they are seeking a warm spot in a building or underground.Someplace where the snow will keep them insulated from the cold.A boat hull, on a trailer 2 feet above ground, would be a cold place to spend the winter.

I would think storing it inside would be more of an attraction to mice, than keeping it in a backyard.

just remove the seats and cushions and life jackets etc. But put some moth balls in anyways, just to be sure.

You are some what right Paul but from my experience it is the shoulder seasons you have to worry about (late fall/spring)

At those times the mice will be looking for some where to live and the damage can be done at this time .

Once the cold of winter rolls around they will move on to a warmer spot , hopefully not your house/garage :angry:

Once the cold of winter rolls around they will move on to a warmer spot , hopefully not your house/garage mad.gif

Too Late !!!!! This year is the worse i have ever seen.My house was built in the 40's so i get a couple mice in the winter all the time.

This year i am getting at least 1 a nite.wallbash.gif maybe the mild weather is keeping them more actuivedunno.gif

Mice got the wiring in my boat...

They really seem to like floatation...

Luckily I can do wiring myself...

Mine too.. lost a life jacket and an unopened pack of all dressed sunflower seeds (which I don't eat, just regular for me).. good part is I got rid of all the shady wiring connected with packaging tape :o