Home water filtration systems

Eazy

My well system for my home is a "sand-point" well, which is much shallower than drilled well systems, and is subsequently subject to many water conditions, iron, being the biggest issue for me. Sometimes after it's been raining for a day or two my water will actually run orange for a day or so......Which has led me to consider two ways of dealing with this problem:

1. Getting a drilled well that is deep enough to get me past the "surface water"

which would probably run me in the $10,000 range, or:

2. A water filtration system to remove all the contaminants in the water to make it

good?

I'm just wondering if there might be a few plumbers or home owners that have ran into this issue and would have any helpful advice?

Thanks!

Living in the kawarthas, Iron and Sulpher are very common problems even in drilled wells. When we bought this place 11 years ago they had a system in place that used potasium permangenate (dangerous to have around and to handle).

I got rid of that system and put in an air injection system with a holding tank. Looks much like a water softener but you never have to add salt or anything. It injects air into the water as it is coming into the house and the iron and sulpher percipate out and are trapped in the holding tank. The filter (I'm not sure what the filter media is)then back washes (at what ever it is set for) just like a water softener does. I believe installed, the system cost me about $1200.00

It has been 10 years now and the system is still working perfectly there is never a hint of iron or sulpher in our water and it use to be really bad, clothing would turn orange from the iron, and the smell of the sulpher in the water would almost make you afraid to use it.

Hope this helps, it would be a lot less expensive than drilling a new well.

Cliff

Have at look at this thread:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/water-softener-chloro-soft-unit-1-100-taxes-installed-960323/

The guy is based out of Hamilton and charges 1400$ for a water softener and reverse osmosis system, installed. You will not beat the price and if you read through the thread you will see very positive feedback from individuals who used his services.

Reverse Osmosis is the best system for getting impurities out of your water, BUT, it does too good a job, it removes the naturally occurring mineral salts in the water which our bodies need to absorb the water properly. That is why Dasani from Coke and Aquafina from Pepsi are RO processed tap water and then have mineral salts added after treatment. Something like Cliff mentioned would probably be the best bet leaving your water cleared but largely unmolested. I miss drinking fresh well water from our farm out Port Hope way, it was cold and crisp with no weird tastes or chlorine. Our pond water was actually drinkable but I never did drink it, it was warm like bath water in the summer. (BTW, a lot of bottled 'spring water' is actually pond water that has had a cable dragger go thru to clear the weeds and then through a particulate filter to get the mud and grit out. FACT)

Had one water analysis done so far......Iron and tannin present, the iron was as high as 2.4ppm, and low ph as well 5.8.

A system to take care of the iron and tannin would run in at $2825, and to take care of the ph level it would require another add on unit at $1500.

Another company coming today to get a "second opinion", they're from out of town , so not to sure?

Had one water analysis done so far......Iron and tannin present, the iron was as high as 2.4ppm, and low ph as well 5.8.

A system to take care of the iron and tannin would run in at $2825, and to take care of the ph level it would require another add on unit at $1500.

Another company coming today to get a "second opinion", they're from out of town , so not to sure?

I'm not a water expert by any means, but do have some knowledge. That's an extremely high iron content, everything you own will turn orange. Until you get a system in place, avoid the use of chlorine bleach. I work in the commercial laundry industry and anything over 0.5 ppm is extremely problematic.

The acidic nature of the water (5.8 ph) will also be very aggressive to your plumbing fixtures. Usually water is slightly alkaline with a ph of 7 to 8.

Although sand points have been used for many years they do have their drawbacks.

The biggest is that they use the upper ground water & are susceptible to bacteria contamination far easier than deeper drilled wells. Manure used for field fertilizer or septic systems can leach through the upper water to the sand point.

Also like dug wells they can go dry during extended dry periods.

Although more expensive at the start in most cases a drilled well is your best bet. Sulpher can be a problem with some drilled wells in some area's & it can get worse if they drill deeper than they need to.

If people around you have good results with drilled wells then maybe that's the best solution to your problem.

Also adds to the resale value of the house.

Check out homesprings filters. I run 4 of them at work, and they work awesome!

They claim you can run raw sewage thru them, and drink it out the other end!

I'm not sure it will help with your problem though, seems to me you need more than just a filter!!

S.

Although sand points have been used for many years they do have their drawbacks.

The biggest is that they use the upper ground water & are susceptible to bacteria contamination far easier than deeper drilled wells. Manure used for field fertilizer or septic systems can leach through the upper water to the sand point.

Also like dug wells they can go dry during extended dry periods.

Although more expensive at the start in most cases a drilled well is your best bet. Sulpher can be a problem with some drilled wells in some area's & it can get worse if they drill deeper than they need to.

If people around you have good results with drilled wells then maybe that's the best solution to your problem.

Also adds to the resale value of the house.

Water shortage not a problem here........"forgot" the sprinkler on for 24hrs during the middle of summer with no problems!

Spend the $ on proper treatment of your water, and make sure you understand what it is your doing. When was the last time you had your water tested by the health department for bacteria?? Sounds pretty nasty to me. I wouldn't even use it to wash dishes. I hope your not drinking that stuff???

S.

Spend the $ on proper treatment of your water, and make sure you understand what it is your doing. When was the last time you had your water tested by the health department for bacteria?? Sounds pretty nasty to me. I wouldn't even use it to wash dishes. I hope your not drinking that stuff???

S.

When its running orange no, but when its running clear, then yes....still does taste a bit "tinny", but most of the time just been bring water from about 10 miles or so away then running that through the brita.

Edited by eazy

That sounds pretty expensive to me! I'm sure my iron/sulpher removal system was only about $1600.00 installed, water softener was about the same and my UV system about $800.00 but my water is pristine. I have Jacksons Water come in once a year and check everything over and change the UV bulb. Total cost is about $250.00 a year. A bit of an investment up front but well worth it to insure I always have safe water for my family and friends.

That sounds pretty expensive to me! I'm sure my iron/sulpher removal system was only about $1600.00 installed, water softener was about the same and my UV system about $800.00 but my water is pristine. I have Jacksons Water come in once a year and check everything over and change the UV bulb. Total cost is about $250.00 a year. A bit of an investment up front but well worth it to insure I always have safe water for my family and friends.

If it was iron only that had to be removed, then it wouldn't be so bad, but I've also got tannin as well.....I guess it poses a real challenge to get rid of..