NYS Steel

DundasSteelheader

Got down to NY State to fish some tribs on Friday and Saturday this weekend. I have been watching the CFS closely waiting for a good weekend to go nail some steelies. This turned out to be a great one.

Left school at 12:30 Friday and got on the river for about 3, not bad (and we got lost!whistling.gif) Between 3 and 5:30 I managed to go 5/6 and my dad 2/3.. Here are a few of those fish:

Put this dark fish at about 8 pounds

DSCF2438-1.jpg

This one was really weird looking, I think it was deformed.. was about 9 pounds but didn't fight at all.. Had an infection in the gills too DSCF2442.jpg

DSCF2452.jpg

So thats it for day 1, we went back to the motel and tied about what seemed like a milllion spawn bags.blink.gif Oh well at least we didnt run out!

Day 2: Got up early and got on the river for about 8:30am after a long walk down to the river. I was fishing with a group of 7 guys all from ontario, and for the first half hour we were all fishing the same long pool. The fishing was insane, I think our group went 10/15 in 30 minutes! worthy.gif I ended up getting 2 in that frenzy one was my PB and the other just a shaker..

My new pb which was over 9 pounds close to 10..

DSCF2454.jpg

We continued to pound that section of river. Here are some more steelies we caught that morning:

DSCF2460.jpg

this fish had a chunk of its tail missing..weird

DSCF2462.jpg

DSCF2474.jpg

DSCF2467.jpg

The fishing cooled down once the sun was fully on the pools so we switched up and went to a different spot where we dinged 4 fish before heading home.

DSCF2486.jpg

DSCF2481.jpg

And my dads big fish of the trip a 10lber

DSCF2490.jpg

I ended up going 14/16 over the day and a quarter we were there and my dad went 6/8 or so, a good trip in my books clapping.gif

Thanks for reading.

Sean

A lot of those stockers have some really weird stuff going on with them (fins laid down flat, weird jaws, missing parts, lol)

Yeah, any idea why that is? is it damage to the fingerlings in the hatchery or something?

Way to go Sean.... looks like you and your dad had a great time!!!

Katelyn's dad.... ;)

Hey thanks, good to see another dundasian on here hahah

Thanks everyone for the comments thumbsup_anim.gif

Great report......i was fishing the same area friday morning and afternoon. Didnt get into the numbers you did but poked enough fish to keep me satisfied :)

Were you on the fly rod? It seems almost everyone down there uses the fly rod and I saw some guys pick off a few but not the numbers me and my guys were getting on roe... The rest of the guys I were fishing with and I combined got over 30 fish on friday in roe and I was surprised to see how few people were using it dunno.gif

Good job. I'm intrigued by your 'pin. What kind is it?

I'm with Solopaddler on this one. This is also one of my favourite rivers to fish, even when they aren't there in as many numbers. It's just really nice to be there this time of year :)

Stocked fish tend to have funny proportions, but that's their weakness. Their strength: tons of fish around!

Congrats on a great trip!

p.-

Were you on the fly rod? It seems almost everyone down there uses the fly rod and I saw some guys pick off a few but not the numbers me and my guys were getting on roe... The rest of the guys I were fishing with and I combined got over 30 fish on friday in roe and I was surprised to see how few people were using it dunno.gif

Nah, i havent used the flyrod for steelhead in forever. I def. agree though, all day long it was flyrod, flyrod, and another guy with a flyrod lol. I think the fad is reverting back to flyfishing lol

I was float fishing, but not floatin eggs. I was driftin jigs all day and did so-so. One thing i can say is the take downs were fast and furious lol. These fish were takin the jigs on the run, not just pickin em' up :)