BRP Warranty Problem

Millhouse2020

Hello,

I am having a warranty issue with a motor I purchased used this year. Its a BRP Evinrude E-Tec 60 hp 2006. The previous owner gave me a copy of the extended warranty he purchased good to 2013.

I brought the engine in for service because its a 6 yr old engine that is scheduled for service every 3 season. Plus it has been having problems stalling at idle. So the dealer told me they just hooked the motor up to the diagnostic machine and they are saying the computer is reading an injector problem with one of the cylinders. They also said the computer software has not been updated since 2008 so these two issues could be contributing to the problem.

Next, I was told by the local dealer that the warranty is not covered. They said the engine was bought in the US by the previous owner and thus they cannot cover it here in Canada, furthermore, the extended warranty was not filled in correctly by the US dealer... Cost for the new injector is $450, plus labour. So with the service, injector and an additional friction kit I wanted installed, it will be about $1,050 plus taxes!!!! Ouch...

I plan to fight BRP for the injector as the motor is under an extended warranty. Its one of the reaonsons I bought the boat, it was to be covered untill 2013.

Does anyone have any advice from similar experiences? I would like to know how best to proceed with BRP and if I have any hope of getting any satisfaction. Interestingly, the diagnostic test said the motor has 226 hours of running time, pretty minimal considering its 6 years old now. Injectors should not be failing...

Thanks all,

Millhouse

That's one of those issues that come up from stuff bought outside of Canada, quite a number of auto/truck/atv/snowmobile warranties do not cross the border. Remember back a couple years ago when everyone was going south to buy their toys, then dealers got wise and refused to sell new unless you had a US address.

I'm one to think that borders should not have an impact on warranty service. It makes no sense as to where the warranty was purchased vs. where the warranty work is going to take place IMO. Having said that, it is a well known fact that it is difficult to get warranty work done on a boat that was purchased in the States in Canada. Know what you are buying and get the questions answered BEFORE it becomes and issue. Unfortuantely that did not take place here.

Second - injectors have ALWAYS been an issue on e-tecs. Almost every BRP motor that goes down is an injector issue, so that is not surprising. It is somewhat troubling that the software has not been updated since 2008 - shows regular scheduled maintenance MAY not have been performed on the engine that could ahve prevented the injector issue.

Make some calls and raise a stink, may get some help from BRP, but I wouldn't be surprised if you are SOL.

Where you located? I may be able to give you the name of a mech. that could do a better price in the Peterborough area. No guarantee though.

Hello,

I am having a warranty issue with a motor I purchased used this year. Its a BRP Evinrude E-Tec 60 hp 2006. The previous owner gave me a copy of the extended warranty he purchased good to 2013.

I brought the engine in for service because its a 6 yr old engine that is scheduled for service every 3 season. Plus it has been having problems stalling at idle. So the dealer told me they just hooked the motor up to the diagnostic machine and they are saying the computer is reading an injector problem with one of the cylinders. They also said the computer software has not been updated since 2008 so these two issues could be contributing to the problem.

Next, I was told by the local dealer that the warranty is not covered. They said the engine was bought in the US by the previous owner and thus they cannot cover it here in Canada, furthermore, the extended warranty was not filled in correctly by the US dealer... Cost for the new injector is $450, plus labour. So with the service, injector and an additional friction kit I wanted installed, it will be about $1,050 plus taxes!!!! Ouch...

I plan to fight BRP for the injector as the motor is under an extended warranty. Its one of the reaonsons I bought the boat, it was to be covered untill 2013.

Does anyone have any advice from similar experiences? I would like to know how best to proceed with BRP and if I have any hope of getting any satisfaction. Interestingly, the diagnostic test said the motor has 226 hours of running time, pretty minimal considering its 6 years old now. Injectors should not be failing...

Thanks all,

Millhouse

Call BRPs head office and speak to someone in customer service. If you get no satisfaction, ask to speak to a supervisor and if you still get the runaround, let them know that you will be contacting the better business bureau, a lawyer and that you will be flaming them on various fishing websites. Fight dirty if need be.

first person i would get a hold of is bernie, he's at a brp dealer and will know the policy's

don't be suprised if you can't get the warranty though many times canadian dealers cannot get compensated for U.S warranty's ,. you may have to pay the dealer then submit a claim to brp of usa

This is common practice with BRP.. They do not honor warranty with products bought in the U.S. Also, most U.S. Dealers will not sell to Canadian residents as they risk having their franchise pulled.. You may have to return to the U.S to get it repaired under warranty.

Thanks for the input gentlemen. I plan to begin follow up today. Since this was my first boat purchase, I did not know that purchase in the US was an issue. The previous owner gave me the warranty paperwork and I was satisfied with that. The reason I bought it used in this case was because it had 2 more years of coverage.

I will be calling BRP customer service today as well as the warranty company. Apparantly, since this was one of the earlier E-Tec's, the extended warranty was not offered by BRP but rather a 3rd party company "Protective Administrative Services Inc." I believe. The local dealer here in Sudbury said at that time, BRP did not sell the extened warranties but they did later on.

I will try and keep you all posted on how this goes. Welcome to boat ownership for me!!! Was not expecting this right out of the hop...

Cheers,

Millhouse

Well so far, not good...

I managed to find a letter directly from BRP confirming purchase of the extended warranty by the previous owner. Interestingly, the BRP dealer says the ext warranty is not even registered to the motor in the previous owners name. I contacted BRP and they referred me to the extended warranty provider, First Protection. They wanted me to fill out a transfer form and pay a $100US fee. So I called the local dealer to ask that they hold off on the repair until I can get the transfer settled to try and ensure it would be covered. They told me I should not pay a fee and that I should have the dealer that sold the motor and warranty in US do the transfer as it should cost me nothing and they screwed up the registration in the first place. So I called the dealer and they asked me to send the info in but the person responsible for working on them is not there today. I am on vacation as of tomorrow for a week so I cannot follow up any further until I get back. Furthermore, First Protection said the transfer must take place within 30 days of the purchase or they can void the warranty... This may cause me a problem since I purchased it in May from the previous owner.

No real help thus far from anyone in the process. The BRP customer service rep was not quite rude, but certainly not very helpful. My opinion of BRP is fading by the minute here. I will keep you all posted on matters as they continue...

Cheers,

Millhouse

where did you come up with the letter advising you to transfer the warranty? have you had it since may?

the 100$ fee is lame but common practice. BRP did not ask for it when i transferred, but stratos did.

BRP had no record of the original owner being registered for warranty in my case either. wasn't a problem, they just put me in as the owner and warranty holder.

the manual for johnson outboards has all the warranty rules and transfer of warranty policy. the manual actually came with a transfer of warranty card preaddressed and perforated ready to mail.

all kinda irreleavant here just reread OP and its about the extended warranty - which also wasn't transferred?

Hi

Sorry to hear about your trouble.

- It is not common practice for BRP to not honour warranties. BRP just like any other manufacturer will honour their warranty but in this case the BRP warranty has expired.

- BRP will honour warranties for both US or Canadian purchased engines but they need to be registered with BRP and in this case with the 3rd party warranty company.

- The engine in question here has no BRP Warranty since it has expired.

- This engine had 3rd party warranty that was not registered to the original owner nor was it transfered to the new owner.

- The original selling dealer did not do his job.

- The engine has not been properly serviced or maintained since it is operating with outdated programming, has the engine been serviced previously and do you have proof that the 3yr or 300 hr service was done?

- I suggest that if you can get the extended warranty transfered and registered in your name for $100.00 that it is a good deal considering the alternative.

It is easy to check the warranty status of an engine all you need is the model number and serial number, go to any good BRP dealer and they can check on-line as to the status and can also advise what if any warranty work was done on the engine.

Best of luck sorting this out and I hope that the third party warranty comes thru for you.

Randy

I feel your pain.Go to Bay City - they are the best and they will get on this job for you!

Mine died within 60 days of the sale but I would pressure the people you bought the boat to alter the date on the sales receipt, seeing as they screwed it up!

Yes - I know that is a little crooked BUT they are the ones playing dirty!

Good luck!!!!!

Landry

how did the original owner manage to purchase an extended warranty and not have it registered in their name? im guessing the answer is the screw up of the dealer, which i guess you said, and that dealership deserves some negative press for sure.

BRP doesn't charge to transfer warranties, but the 3rd party is (which is not uncommon) - so why does BRP have anything to advise you on the subject?

not sure if it is fair to say playing dirty? - and bashing on the dealer or BRP. you say no one is helping you, but they gave you the answer - send in the 100$ and transfer the warranty, as you were required to do 6 months ago.

some one should be helping the OP out for sure, but there is an expired warranty and an unregistered/not transferred warranty.

the dealer performing the repair just wants to get paid by somebody. BRP's not going to pay for a 6 year old motor. and the other warranty wasn't transferred as req'd??

I've had 2 issues with my ETEC 225 HO. Neither warranty claim had any issues from the BRP side. Both were handled - but the dealer handling the first issue was terrible and the second dealer (Bay City in Hamilton) did great. Kept me in the loop and got it fixed as soon as they could. Considering our shortened soft-water season - every day matters. Go to a reliable dealer for less headaches - the extra drive will be well worth it.