Ice fishing is almost upon us.

Roy

Don't bother drilling.

Clear the snow, put 'ducer on the ice and a splash of water is all you need.

You can't shoot through white ice though as there are too many air bubbles.

I have been able to shoot through over 5' of clear ice and mark fish doing it. :thumbsup_anim:

Wow. I thought shooting through 2' was good. That's crazy.!

I wouldn’t leave home without a GPS, sonar, and a phone. Always carry a GPS to get to previous spots that produced and for safety. Truthfully, many of the spots in my GPS e.g. for Simcoe, have been one-hit wonders. Still I sled to these spots annually and even from day to day. But just because a spot was good on Wednesday doesn’t seem to mean it will be good on Thursday. Simcoe seems to lack obvious spots that might hold fish. Nipissing is similar. I mean that spots that really produced weren’t near anything obvious – just a big flat area. Anyone find this to be true? I find it frustrating at times.

I wouldn’t leave home without a GPS, sonar, and a phone. Always carry a GPS to get to previous spots that produced and for safety. Truthfully, many of the spots in my GPS e.g. for Simcoe, have been one-hit wonders. Still I sled to these spots annually and even from day to day. But just because a spot was good on Wednesday doesn’t seem to mean it will be good on Thursday. Simcoe seems to lack obvious spots that might hold fish. Nipissing is similar. I mean that spots that really produced weren’t near anything obvious – just a big flat area. Anyone find this to be true? I find it frustrating at times.

I have some big flat areas in Lake Erie that have been producing very well for the last 3-4 years with Yellow Perch....that population is very high right now......I treasure a few of those GPS numbers right now...if and when the perch population falls so will my success at those hot spots.

Bob

Simcoe seems to lack obvious spots that might hold fish. Nipissing is similar. I mean that spots that really produced weren't near anything obvious – just a big flat area. Anyone find this to be true? I find it frustrating at times.

In all fairness to the big flat areas, they're spots too y'know.

yup...I do

I've marked a few spots of underwater structure that held fish in the Soft water season, but in truth its success has been minimal.

It would seem the summer haunts don't always produce the same way in the cold.

But I'd have to say that each time out to these spots we've not been skunked...so its put me on fish, but I've not seen any banner days?

I should get a GPS.. Actually, I do have a really old eTrek, but it is for trails mostly, and has no maps, just looks like an etch-a-sketch with a couple icons here and there. I guess I could make limited use of it, but with Christmas coming I'd be interested in inexpensive suggestions..

For the best bang for your buck, the Garmin Legend that costs about 150 dollars is your best buy. It is sometimes on sale for 100 dollars. Yes....you will have to buy map software to increase the amount of detail but it is well worth the price to buy the mapware. You have to buy the same maps no matter which GPS you buy. There are tons of places on the internet to get free bathymetric maps to add to your maps. If you know where to look you can even get free maps and not buy the mapware.

You can then download a free program like "Easy GPS" to store info in your home computer or laptop (dates, waypoints, notes etc etc).