Super Lines

Billy Bob

Skipper,

10lb for perch can get really annoying if you are using smaller baits because you lose sensitivity. Also in the context of ice fishing lighter baits go down faster with thinner line.

I don't seem to have any trouble with it tho , i never asked what others are useing that are in the boat but its always unanamis after words that i out fished every one that day in the boat , you mention sensitivity , could it be that its the rod that dose that part and not the line ?

Edited by Skipper " D "

Yes of course the rod is important as well. Again though I only fish for perch in the winter and thinner line just lets you know more about what is going on down there with a small bait. Plus if you get something big on it's going to be a rush!thumbsup_anim.gif

I'll leave the ice fishing smarts to you and every one else , yes i agree with what you are telling me but thats some thing "Ice fishing"you'll never see this guy doing ... lol .

I'll leave the ice fishing smarts to you and every one else , yes i agree with what you are telling me but thats some thing "Ice fishing"you'll never see this guy doing ... lol .

I bet by the end of Feb. you will have been out on the ice... :whistling:

Toronto is unspoiled wilderness compared to this place.

Wow, sounds like you're probably going to catch asthma and cancer, then..

Remember watching the Olympic coverage in 2008 and seeing the sky? You should see it in person...sad.gif

Nope... Don't watch Olympics, and don't have TV service either. I also don't have a landline with Bell. All internet here, baby!

I bet by the end of Feb. you will have been out on the ice... whistling.gif

A few years back a boring company with a job to bore holes into the bottom of Simcoe a couple of k's out for what ever reason , came here to hire some of my snow removel equipment to clean the snow off to make a road so they could get their drilling rigs out , the answer then was NO THANKS , then they offered to install pontoons on our equipment and the answer was still NO THANKS . There will be no ice fishing for me , starting the first of November til the end of March here our days and nights get reversed , sleep in the day and work the nights . I believe am off the hook on this one good.gif

i use fireline crystal in 4lb for deep erie perch. it's so thin you can scale down on the weight and it will transmit a goby nibble in 65ft. watch for fraying around the knot after an hour or so of catching. best of all for you, you just need a gentle sweep to set the hook.

Billy Bob, the guy I have been fishing with uses 4 lbs. Fireline and it has been holding up well. I myself am an old time mono guy but I think the nonstretch and sensitivity of the super line may be to your advantage presenting baits to those deep water perch.

Hey BB,

Just buy a spool of 4lb Floro and be done with it! I'm a mono guy as well and have developed a real fondness for this line. Yes, it is expensive, but it will outlast a normal mono line.

Virtually no line stretch, invisible once in the water and holds up to cold temps very well.

Also, it is very much abrasion resistant, so the Erie zebra's won't cause you grief at all.

I have been using floro for a few years now and it has held up very well, from summer fishing all the way to -35 up at Temagami (Which has no fish of course!)

HH

The line twist flouro is famous for drives me crazy. I spooled up with it once, never again.

If I'm jigging whities and lakers in 100ft of water, 4lb-6lb Fireline Crystal with a 24-36inch flouro leader. For perch in the shallower stuff I find the Berkley Ice line works pretty good (The blue stuff)..

Any special knots required? Does the regular Palomar hold tight?

No special knots required. I use a uni - uni or the triple surgeon for joining braid to floro. You can use the palomar or improved cinch on the business end.

High lb test lines 65 or more, a friend of mine, (lets just call him 36" BOB) has shown me a knot system for joining braid to your leaders. Take and form a 12" loop with your braid, do the double or triple surgeons knot. To connect your leader to your main line simply pull your braid through the loop of your leader and pass it back over. (It would look like a palomar knot when finished.) Easy to change leaders when needed and the surgeon knot will actually catch the floating weed as opposed to fouling your lure.... sometimes.

Cheers, Ron...