Paypal

Rattletrap2

Does anyone have any experience selling anything on a larger scale on Kijiji or Craigslist?

I listed my boat for sale this week-end and have someone willing to purchase sight unseen using paypal.

I smell something fishy here!

How does paypal work? I do have an account for paying, but never used it to receive.

Thanks

Thanks Guys. I think something is wrong when a person is willing to pay without seeing!

I certainly would never buy that way!

Brian, did you finally end up selling yours? I know people were giving you the run around and not showing up.

I want to post it on this site as well, but the process takes a bit longer to get pictures up. I will work on that later tonight. Good people here that can be trusted.

Google "Paypal scams" and you can read all about it Brian. There's nothing wrong with Paypal... The problem will be the emails from Paypal you'll be getting asking for more personal info for "your own protection". Run Forrest Run!

its a boat, what do they want it mailed to them?

I had replied to one of those ATV ads on kijiji, the guy said he had it in toronto, i could have a 60 day moneyback gaurantee to buy sight unseen, blah blah blah, he was all about selling it to me until i said id drive down to the "secure storage sight" with the cash in an envelope and load it into the back of my truck - then he wouldnt respond

as far as the boats concerned, why wouldnt they pay cash or cheque?

Google "Paypal scams" and you can read all about it Brian. There's nothing wrong with Paypal... The problem will be the emails from Paypal you'll be getting asking for more personal info for "your own protection". Run Forrest Run!

Thanks Roy!

I knew running this by you folks was a good idea!

What the hell is wrong with these people anyways? Is the world that full of scammers? I guess I answered my own question! LOL

Thanks Roy!

I knew running this by you folks was a good idea!

What the hell is wrong with these people anyways? Is the world that full of scammers? I guess I answered my own question! LOL

Sure is Brian. I had the same thing when I was buying and selling my last boats, more than half the ads I looked at were obvious scams.

Gee Brian you selling everything?

This is a scam. There are many ways that you can get scammed using Paypal, read their TOS:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/seller/ChargebackRisk-outside

Focus on:

When a chargeback occurs, the money that is subject to the chargeback is deducted from PayPal's bank account. In turn, PayPal places a temporary hold on the same amount in the seller's PayPal balance (i.e., the funds related to the transaction are frozen).

The seller and PayPal can work together to investigate the chargeback with the buyer's credit card company. While the chargeback is being investigated, PayPal will debit the seller for the amount in question. If the investigation is resolved in favor of the seller with the credit card company, the credit card company will reimburse PayPal for the chargeback and PayPal will transfer the recovered funds back to the seller. Depending on the credit card company involved, the process may take up to 75 calendar days. In a dispute over a chargeback, the decision is ultimately made by the credit card company and PayPal cannot control the outcome.

Also Paypal, Ebay etc. will always be biased against the seller. A while ago someone told me about selling a laptop on ebay, and the buyer sent back pictures of that laptop arriving completely banged up and got refunded. This happened despite it being obvious that the buyer was just running a scam where he had a banged up laptop and would buy laptops that are the same model, provide pictures as proof, and essentially get to keep the laptop for free. This is obviously different from selling a boat but just be careful with online transactions.

A few years ago I sold a pop up trailer for it's asking price on the internet. Sent pics to the buyer and he sent me a check and said when it clears we would meet and he would take possession of the trailer. I felt uncomfortable taking his money this way but everything worked out for both of us. He was a little over 300 miles away in PA...we met half way.

Sure is Brian. I had the same thing when I was buying and selling my last boats, more than half the ads I looked at were obvious scams.

Gee Brian you selling everything?

Gord, My boat got wet once on July 16th! LOL. With the new little trailer, I can't see it getting wet all that often next year!I certainly can't tow both!

30 hours in 5 years? That hardly justifies it.

I sold our 15' Legend tiller this weekend.. Cash only sale. No way I'd ever sell a high ticket item via Paypal..

If you read the email carefully, they never refer to your boat.. they simply say 'your item'..

Total and complete scam.

I sold our 15' Legend tiller this weekend.. Cash only sale. No way I'd ever sell a high ticket item via Paypal..

If you read the email carefully, they never refer to your boat.. they simply say 'your item'..

Total and complete scam.

Bill,

That's great! I saw your boat listing and it looked like a good deal! Congrats!