THE WIND

Skipper D

Hi. It certainly does. Different fish in different ways of course. For example, if I am looking to do pier fishing on the North Shore of Lake Ontario, I would be looking for days were the wind blows from the North pushing out the warm water and bringing in cold water fish such as trout close to shore.

I ask because i have'nt convinced my self yet that it dose but what do i know , i spent a saturday a week or so back out on the simcoe being the only boat out there because of the wind and rough water i guess , there were one meter swails going on and i was unable to stay anchored so i spent a good part of the day just driffting and came home with a pretty good catch of fish .

Wind blowing along the shore can increase oxygen levels in the water.Small fish will tend to feed on the plancton disturbed by the wind, therefore bringing preditor fish into shallower water.

Wind waves also prevents light penetration, forcing preditor fish int shalow water to feed also.Its probably harder on the angler than the fish.It makes your boat harder to control, and makes it hard to feel your lure on the end of your line.I was out today in the wind, and noticed mud lines in the water where current was mixing wind blown sediment from shallow water into deeper waters.The mudline creates a great ambush point for fish, and i caught 2 small walleye lurking along the outside of this line.I didnt stay out very long though.I was alone in the boat, and was having a rough time controling the boat by myself.

Wind blowing along the shore can increase oxygen levels in the water.Small fish will tend to feed on the plancton disturbed by the wind, therefore bringing preditor fish into shallower water.

Wind waves also prevents light penetration, forcing preditor fish int shalow water to feed also.Its probably harder on the angler than the fish.It makes your boat harder to control, and makes it hard to feel your lure on the end of your line.I was out today in the wind, and noticed mud lines in the water where current was mixing wind blown sediment from shallow water into deeper waters.The mudline creates a great ambush point for fish, and i caught 2 small walleye lurking along the outside of this line.I didnt stay out very long though.I was alone in the boat, and was having a rough time controling the boat by myself.

Good evening Paul , well i agree on the hard to controll thing alright , don't think i'd be out there in an open boat , i just would'nt have the nerv but mine 's a cabin cruisser and perhapes it makes me feel braver then most , i can see that things do get mucked up out there in the wind but if you have the time the fish do still come if you know what i mean.

your explanation tho dose best explain whats going on out there on the windy day , i noticed the mirky water in the shallows and because i could'nt stay anchored i thought it best to stay out further and drift in the deeper water more so as not to hit the shore or the bottom with the boat...lol

Bingo,we have a winner !!!

South west is best

North east the least

I've been out there for the east one and nothing thats right , i check now if it is and stay in when its in the east but i am still checking out the others and so far not to bad other then the rough ride in and out ..lol.

Yep, it keeps me on shore when I see those 6' white caps :D

Got to admit, wind and pressure does effect fishing but I still go. If we waited for the perfect day, we probably wouldn't go half as much. But still can't figure out 4 guys in a boat, 3 of the guys are catching fish and the guy in the middle not catching a thing using the same bait :wallbash: What makes madder's worse, the 4th guy is me. No comments spiel :tease:

Hate to mess with historical theories but......At the start of an east wind---fishing can be better.

Kinda like at the start of of a weather front the walleye go on the feed bag...I think at the beginning of any pressure change whether it be a cold front or bad weather rolling in the fish sense it.

Yep, it keeps me on shore when I see those 6' white caps :D

Got to admit, wind and pressure does effect fishing but I still go. If we waited for the perfect day, we probably wouldn't go half as much. But still can't figure out 4 guys in a boat, 3 of the guys are catching fish and the guy in the middle not catching a thing using the same bait :wallbash: What makes madder's worse, the 4th guy is me. No comments spiel :tease:

there go's my thoughts about trying to be the one that fish's clos'est to the anchore or maybe not ...lol

Hey Skipper

ToDay the 'Wind' is keeping me off Simcoe!!

I guess we were spoiled last weekend as both Sat and Sun were Great!

Rick

Yes me to Rick dam it .lol , maybe more so the cold , i have'nt climatized yet ........

Anyone who cancels a fishing trip because of an east wind is missing out on catching fish.

I'll have to tell that one to Baby La La , he gets the truck and the boat all ready the night before , comes out in the morning and wets his finger and if , then he puts it all away , boy am i gona have some fun with him when he gets here ....... lol .

I'll have to tell that one to Baby La La , he gets the truck and the boat all ready the night before , comes out in the morning and wets his finger and if , then he puts it all away , boy am i gona have some fun with him when he gets here ....... lol .

How many fish does Baby La La catch from the couch ?? :lol:

How many fish does Baby La La catch from the couch ?? :lol:

Right ........ the guy with more fishing toys then most and like that .lol. If you hear screeming coming off lake simcoe early in the mornings next week Lew every one will know that Skippers brother must be here and he's got him tied up in the boat out fishing and it must be windy ..rofl2.gif