eating lake ontario fish

northernpike56

I wouldn't do it that is a real hotspot for pollutants. I have a hard time eating them even from Erie if I think about it. I've had fish from certain sections of the Thames and lived to tell about it, although wouldn't do that again once I found out how many treatment plants dump back in.

With regards to Lake O...just remember.... crap runs downhill AND downstream :Gonefishing:

Personally I wouldn't eat that bass....too old in a very bad environment as per what I have read here. But other fish from Ontario I have and still will eat....Red meat will get you way before a few salmon from Lake Ontario will.

BTW I wouldn't eat ANY bass from anywhere...but that's just me...crappie, perch and walleye are in my freezer...learn to catch them and you wouldn't eat a bass either.

Bob

get the free book called "guide to eating sportfish" its free,all over the place and check it might be online too...its got testing results from all over ontarios different lakes and rivers...specially the great lakes and you would be suprised how clean some size fish are from lake o....up to about 7lbs rainbows and stuff like that get some really good results,and yet some lakes even way up north have do not any fish posted for them...its very informative,and interesting,i think the last issue for the book was 2010 they used to have them at the beer store and liquor stores,mto offices,and some fishing stores had them...check it out

I wouldn't do it that is a real hotspot for pollutants. I have a hard time eating them even from Erie if I think about it. I've had fish from certain sections of the Thames and lived to tell about it, although wouldn't do that again once I found out how many treatment plants dump back in.

With regards to Lake O...just remember.... crap runs downhill AND downstream :Gonefishing:

+1

It also evaporates and rains down on the rest of the world.

Most of the toxins accumulate in the belly fat.Cut that part out, and it should be ok once in a while.

I eat salmon out of the Credit once in a blue moon, and I cut the belly meat off too, I find the meat to be a little more firm then if caught up in Wasaga, but fish is fish (for the most part).

Look up Pangasius on Google. Its becomeing the most popular freshwater fish in the world.What you see will scare the heck out of you.Compared to how they are farmed, i dont think fish from our lakes are all that bad to eat in MODERATION.

Pretty disturbing, but not less so then everything else, lol. I actually bought a few fillets last fall, and I prepared it much like most would do a walleye. One bite later and the fish was in the garbage. The texture was akin to eating fried fat, but more tender. Totally inedible

While we are on the topic of eating bass...for all you bass eaters..do you'll have a personal size limit for largies and smallies beyond which you wouldnt eat em..

I dont usually eat largies since i am not a fan of the taste of the fish but dont mind filleting a smallie every now and then...Usually keep fish in the 15 -17 inch slot....but the more I think about it..fish that big here in Canada are pretty old...thoughts?

I read a study sometime back about smallies and methylmercury content, and it found that smallies in the 15" range had less than .7ppm, which is lower than the 1ppm for the market standard.

Smallie in the 17" range averaged 1.1ppm I believe.

Of course I cant remember where I read it, or what bodie(s) of water it involved.

PCB's are a concern as well, but this is where cutting out the fat content helps. Methylmercury on the other hand is throughout the entire fish