hand signals

mercman

I was fishing yesterday in a new part of the waterway where i fish.A couple of days earlier i had notice current ripples in an area, and went to investigate with my trolling motor.I noticed immediately, that there was only 12 inches of water between the surface and some nasty rocks.In front, and on the sides there is 8-12ft drop off.

Yesterday i was fishing this spot for SmallMouth, and a guy came motoring past.I didnt know how to let him know what was ahead, i waved both hands in an emergency gesture, he waved back and smacked right into the rocks, busting his prop and skeg badly.About an hour later, coming from the other direction, another boater traveling about 10-15 mph. This time i waved and followed immediately by placeing my hands flat one on top of the other, spaced apart, and bringing them slowly together. He got the message, and immediately reversed his engine, missing the rocks completely.

Was that the right way, or is there a more standard signal? probably wouldnt have worked with the first guy though.The wave i used is standard emergency wave and he just smiled and waved backwallbash.gif

Next time your out that way Paul, take a couple empty plastic jugs tied to some bricks and set them on the outside edges of the shoal.

Most folks should realize what they mean.

Other than sitting there 24/7 waving folks away, there's not much more that you can do.

i think at the time you did all you could do...

now... you can put a marker out like a javex bottle or something...

but how was the fishing???

Caught a pike in the shallow section, then a while later a 3lb smallieclapping.gif .I bet this waould be a great place for walleye in the morning and evening too.I just anchored of to the side, in the current, and cast into different eddies. When the big ships pass by on the other side of the island, it creates a reverse flow in the little section of the river.Stirs up the bottom, and thats when i caught the bass.

Now who taught me to read the surface of the water i wonderwhistling.gifgood.gif

if i guy can't understand the universal signal for emergency and moves ahead what can you do???

by the way you indicated that YOU had an emergency and he just carried on....nice boating.

good thing you weren't choking on a sausage and had your hands around your neck showing that universal symbol, he would have just walked on by...

I was fishing on the rideau and east of rideau ferry there is a reef that is just a foot or so below the surface

but if you go on plane you don't hit it

I had gone over it many times

one morning as I am flying up to it a guy in a small boat was waving his arms , I figured it was trying to warn me about the reef

I kept going till I knew I was over pass it and I stopped to see if that was what all the waving was about

four more bass boats were getting close to it and he was waving like mad..each boat slowed down and each boat hit the reef

2 props gone... 1 lower unit gone and one motor ripped right off the boat......and the guy yelling well I tried to warn you.....glad I knew the area well........so much for the international sign for rocks ahead...LOL

Good topic. Knowing this would have helped me warn someone as well. I had tried directing them to one side by pointing in that direction with both arms. Ended up having to tow them back to shore...

The second boater knew exactly what i was trying to relay. Hands about 2 feet apart. I pointed to the spot and brought my hands together.He immediately reversed his motor. I am going to put a couple of empty jugs across this weekend.

Its also good to be able to read the water surface.First time i saw this area, i knew from the ripples and color, that this was a shallow spot.

The second boater knew exactly what i was trying to relay. Hands about 2 feet apart. I pointed to the spot and brought my hands together.He immediately reversed his motor. I am going to put a couple of empty jugs across this weekend.

Its also good to be able to read the water surface.First time i saw this area, i knew from the ripples and color, that this was a shallow spot.

Yeppers, being able to read the surface is important. I fish a river most the time, and Rainy Lake/LOTW, and you learn pretty quickly to watch for boils etc.

Good on ya though for trying, and being pro active. If it was me, I'd sure appreciate that someone took the time to mark a shallow rock.

ie: Javex Bottles ... Jugs...

I was recently( this past summer) told by a Lodge owner that if you place them (Jugs) there you could be held responsible in court if someone hit a rock...

Apparently, this is why there are no Jugs on Tomiko (almost).

But as for the hand signs you did good Mercman :good:

I gave up..I've just stopped waving them down now... :whistling:

I went from the "Emergency Wave" to the SLOW sign while pointing at the hazard... then the "Pac Man" while screaming "YOU'RE GONNA WRECK YOUR BOAT!" .. I swear, my wife would attest to this I sometimes looked like I was having a seizure trying to warn the oncoming boater of the potential danger.. :excl:

...some got the hint some didn't...

And those that didn't , have the nerve to ask you, why You didn't signal them that there was a rock/log, whatever there? :dunno:

And those that didn't get the hint, but miraculously breeze through without even dinging their prop... usually are the ones that wave back or give you the Finger.. :wallbash:( Terry was that you?)

:huh: I figured out that I was just wasting precious jiggin' time..

But... Believe me, If I see someone acting like I used to ...

I'll react.. and have reacted. :oops:

Most of these incidents are the fault of someone who is in a rush to get to ...they don't know where. :wacko:

Probably like most of you, I take my time in unfamiliar waters,

especially Rivers. :unsure:

A wreck is so easily avoided..

That's why we have the "Boater's card" right? :lol:

Randy

:canadian:

I am going to put a couple of empty jugs across this weekend.

I was recently( this past summer) told by a Lodge owner that if you place them (Jugs) there you could be held responsible in court if someone hit a rock...

Apparently, this is why there are no Jugs on Tomiko (almost).

As for placing jugs out Randy makes a good point.

You open up your self to possible lawsuits by doing so.

"Your honor the defendant took the responsibility to mark the shoals and I damaged my boat, injured myself and my child because he missed one."

It's a sad state that when you try to be helpful you can actually bite off more than you can chew.

Good intentions can bite you in the arse.

As for placing jugs out Randy makes a good point.

You open up your self to possible lawsuits by doing so.

"Your honor the defendant took the responsibility to mark the shoals and I damaged my boat, injured myself and my child because he missed one."

It's a sad state that when you try to be helpful you can actually bite off more than you can chew.

Good intentions can bite you in the arse.

I think you are too influenced by US lawsuits.

I am no lawyer but....

Unless a person was deemed/proven negligent they would NOT be held accountable. An average boater is not accountable or responsible for marking shoals. All they would have to say is that they thought they got them all.

Now if it was a person designated as responsible for marking the shoals and he was drunk on the job everyday....that would be a different thing all together.

Remember those Walkerton clowns that killed more than 5 people? Among other bad things they faked the water tests. The most that happened to them was that they lost their jobs (province only was sued).

SO. Marking the shoals is a good thing.

lodge owner legal stuff.........................

Most of these incidents are the fault of someone who is in a rush to get to ...they don't know where. :wacko:

Probably like most of you, I take my time in unfamiliar waters,

especially Rivers. :unsure:

A wreck is so easily avoided..

That's why we have the "Boater's card" right? :lol:

Randy

:canadian:

I hit a rock doing about 4mph and while I was paying attention. So have others. I see hazards marked in many places across Ontario and have not heard a report about someone being held liable for putting a jug in the water. So aside from a lodge owners say so (who might be accountable?) do you have anything to back up the legal advice given by a lodge owner?

Yesterday i was fishing this spot for SmallMouth, and a guy came motoring past.I didnt know how to let him know what was ahead, i waved both hands in an emergency gesture, he waved back and smacked right into the rocks, busting his prop and skeg badly.

The guy was ignorant about rules on the water or decided to ignore you. Waving your hands in an emergency manner should make the guy stop or slowdown to get more info OR head towards you...not your fault.

Navionics marks hazards on their maps so if you tell them they may put it in.

So...can you tell us where this exact location is?

Edited by whitbyboatguy