New Guy -longtime lurker

captpierre

Hi Everybody. Been lurking behind the scenes for a while and have benefited greatly from the various threads.

I fish mainly for big stuff. I like my muskie in June and the late summer/fall but like to focus on salmon on Lake O for 6 wks in the summer. Managed to buy a cottage on Pigeon Lake this year so the salmon thing might have to be scaled back. My ride is a 2007 Lund 17.5 Tyee with a Yammy 115. This year I smashed her bad on Three Sisters shoal half way down Pigeon on the way to the Tragically Hip concert at dusk. More than $4K to fix engine- fortunately insurance covered most of it. Had to be towed in by a good Samaritan. After a great repair (so far) at DT Power, I have a question about winterizing. I would like to store her in the boathouse and would rather not take her out to the marina. She might have 30 hrs on her since the repair(oil was changed then). I am wanting to forgo the oil change, stabilize the fuel and let it run thru, perhaps not change the lower unit oil(was also changed then), add RV antifreeze to the livewell intake and run the pump. Is a dry boathouse (with rail system) a good place to store a boat for the winter? I would appreciate anybody's advice. Thanks

CaptPierre

Welcome aboard.

Lots of people store boats all winter in the boat house.

For piece of mind I would change the lower unit gear oil anyways and if it's a four stroke change the crankcase oil and filter. (cheap insurance) That way you know for sure there is no condensation over the winter. As mentioned either charge the batteries completely or remove them and take them with you for periodic inspection and charging over the winter.

Throw some mothballs or something similar under the storage cover to keep the little varmits from eating the wires and cushions etc. Do all the other things you have mentioned including adding stablizer to the fuel. This can all be done by yourself in a couple of hours.

I would do everything your planning to do for storage, but would also remove the batteries and bring them home where they can stay warm.. I would also trickle charge them once a month and do not store them directly on a cement floor ( I've heard it's not good for them, but I don't know why!) let them sit on a piece of wood or off the floor on a shelf.