Frog-Fishing Fantastic - Report and Video

JustinHoffman

Hello All,

This week offered me the chance to hit the water on two separate occasions. With the cold front of Thursday still fresh in my mind, fish activity levels – and the best baits to throw – were definite food for thought as I launched the boat Tuesday.

September 20

This morning was a mixture of sun and clouds and called for a high of 20-degrees. Although the forecast stated winds of ten clicks, the mid-morning and early afternoon period proved especially blustery.

I began working some deep weedlines in six to ten-feet of water, throwing a variety of reaction baits, including cranks, spinnerbaits, and swim baits. Although I picked up a few fish, most were on the small side. At this point, I made the decision to head up river to a section of prime slop mats, situated out from shore and in two to three-feet of water. With the sun up and the adjacent flat sparse with vegetation, it was my hope that the largemouth might be seeking shelter under this lush canopy.

Pitching Double-Wide Beavers and Pacca Craws to the edge of the slop proved to be the ticket. A few fish needed some extra coaxing, but most would shoot out and grab my offering before it reached bottom. Like previous, many of the fish were in the one to two-pound range. Boat control became extremely tough with the blowing winds, and I abandoned this tactic in hopes of finding some calmer water.

Report continues at: http://justinhoffmanoutdoors.com/2011/09/22/frog-fishing-fantastic/'>http://justinhoffmanoutdoors.com/2011/09/22/frog-fishing-fantastic/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UKhdGa1fZk

And then this girl hit the next day...

Bass2-1.jpg

If you would like to read the full report from this outing, and to view more images, please visit:

http://justinhoffmanoutdoors.com/2011/09/22/frog-fishing-fantastic/

Good Fishing,

Justin

Edited by JustinHoffman

Awesome Justin. Realtime fishing.Wish more showed that.They make a half hour show look like theres fish every cast.

Pike eh? I think it was a bad knot.LOL J/K

When you hookset that bass,my mouse went flying. Yep I set the hook to. :rofl2:

I also said the same thing.Way to soon on the second one.LOL

Thanks for sharing

Truely enjoyed.

Edited by Misfish

Thanks for the positive comments, guys. Yes, although there is added pressure to catch fish, something about the realtime format seems better.

@ Brian - Hooksets are one thing I'm not dainty about! haha!! And the slop is littered with those blasted pike at times... :wallbash:

Good Fishing,

Justin

Great video Justin. Pretty intense when a good fish smokes a frog close to the boat.

Something to try maybe. I just got a few of the new Live Target 1.75" small frogs. I threw it on a spinning set up with 20lb braid. I was fishing behind a few guys on certain sets of pads and slop and still got fish to eat. I spent another day on docks and trees with it. I could skip this things like a senko. Smashed fish. I mean smashed. I think it would rock on your waters there.

Just something to think about.

I was inspired by this to try out my own Live Target frog last night. I only had about an hour to fish, and didn't go in a boat, so I was just fishing from shore. Not any slop around where I was, but a bit of pads and some reeds and weeds. I cast the frog a few times towards a dock and dragged it back near the reeds and I hooked into a smallie that fought really good, but it spit the hook after about 15 seconds. It woulda been my first catch on a frog. :( It was still exciting while it lasted.

(Couldn't get anything to take it after that, ended up changing lures and got a pike right in front of me as I was watching my lure's action at the end of my retrieve.)

Edited by Dana

@ Harrison - Great point and one I actually discussed with my Dad after numerous failed hook-ups. I actually have a few of the small LiveTarget frogs, and it was exactly what I was thinking. Sadly, we had a deadline to meet back at the launch and this was the last spot of the day. I will certainly be throwing some smaller stuff this coming week back at that spot... :clapping:

@ Dana - Great to hear you got out with the frogs! Fall time can be awesome for shore fishing and tossing topwaters - largies will often move up super shallow this time of year, especially if you can hit it when the "real" frogs are beginning to migrate from land to water to begin hibernation. (Same goes for walleye...) Keep at it and your luck will change - certainly don't need slop or pads to get a fish to hit a frog. Open water works just fine... :thumbsup_anim:

Good Fishing,

Justin