Visit to Northbay(NF)

Well with mother nature being a bit confused I thought I would share some pics of spring or winter.

I arrived thursday night to visit my mom in Northbay.

Friday I drove up to Powasson to meet our very own Nippissing(Bernie).

It was a pleasure to meet Bernie who is a true gentleman who took the time to show me his family run business.

Got to see meet his parents and daughter a fine family indeed.

We toured the shop where I saw some nice crestliner boats.Many different motors ,Mercs,Evinrude,Johnson,Honda,many more.

Now I understand why Bernie likes his Evinrude E-Tech.He has them all and can pick what ever he needs.

Next was Bernie showing me how to make Jigs with molds and powder coating.Fast and simple.Got some Jig secrets from Bernie sorry I can't share those.

The highlight of my day was the tour of the boat house where Bernie's family has been building Cedar boats since 1920.Some of these wooden boats had deeper hulls on them than my Lund.Breath taking visit hand built craftmanship.

I know some of you have seen some of these pics but I thought some of our new members would like to see the boat building.

Once again thanks Bernie!!!!! :clapping:

122224.JPG

122225.JPG

122229.JPG

122235.JPG

122238.JPG

122241.JPG

122244.JPG

122247.JPG

Next was a walk in the woods behind my moms place in Bonfield.These logs you see in the picture were downed trees from a wind storm last summer July 17 2006.Hard to beleive these trees were uprooted.There were micro bursts of wind reaching winds of 180kph. you can see some

of my other pics of downed trees from that storm.

122249.JPG

Me and my kids and cousin Cody on the far right.

122250.JPG

122251.JPG

The Mrs and yes it is really cold.

122252.JPG

Now that all our teams are gone lets go have a beer together at Don Cherry's place.

122253.JPG

122255.JPG

Signs of spring to come.

122254.JPG

My wife,my son and cousin Cody.

Hope you enjoy the pics .Let the thaw of spring begin :worthy:

MTP

Edited by Mike the Pike

Mike the feeling was mutual. Thank you for taking the time to visit with me. You are a gentleman yourself and it was a pleasure to meet you. Glad you enjoyed the morning. Too bad we didnt have more time we could have made up some more jigs. The pictures you took at the boat shop turned out very well. Hope we can get together next time you are here and put those jigs to use. :thumbsup_anim:

Great stuff Mike !! and Bernie is my first stop next trip North to pick up some stuff there and if time permits a tour of those beautiful boats as well. Old school done RIGHT..gotta love it.

I've got a couple trees about that size around down up behind my cottage, from the same storm. Future firewood and we got lucky.... Many cottages further up the lake got split in half from old growth falling on them.

My handle "Tootsie II" comes from the name of my 1980 "French River" model Giesler cedar strip boat built in that shop. It's still going strong even though like any wood boat it has needed some TLC at times. These boats really ride well in rough water and can carry a heck of a load of gear.

People think they are heavy, but mine weighs about the same as a compartively sized beer can.

If and when Tootsie outlives her usefullness and I need to replace her, I'll probably replace her with their 18 ft. Georgian Bay model if I and they are still around.

Edited by Tootsie II

Mike The Pike,

Very nice report, awesome looking boats. Were those trees you were sitting on, 'old growth'?

Gonna have to stop next time I head north.

Bernie, do you supply this boats to Lakair lodge on the West Arm. I rented one for a weekend, what a fantastic ride and very stable

Thank you for sharing.

John

I did a walk through of the shop there in the early 70s. Looked a lot like it does now. I bet a lot of the hunters here would love to see a shot of that atypical whitetail rack. Nipissing, I believe you mentioned it was still there? How about a pic? It impressed me way back when.