Good reels and bad ones...

Garry2Rs

With most brand name reels you get what you pay for. The top end stuff is out standing and the entry level stuff is so-so.

Many of the problems folks have with their new reels is caused by too much grease and/or grease where it shouldn't be. These reels are built in Asia and must survive a long sea voyage and possible years on the dealer's shelves. They are often way over-lubed when packaged at the factory.

I once looked at some mid-priced Quantum reels on sale. In the product review at BPS or Cabela's roughly 50% of the buyer thought they were great and the other 50% thought they were total trash. Now that is too wide a margin to take seriously...Something was obviously wrong!

The complains were about noisy bearings and reels that were un-tuneable...I love a challenge, so I bought three...Two for myself and another for a friend, who already owned one. Out of the box, one was perfect! One had a big blob of grease on the brake side bearing that had migrated onto the brake drum, the third had dry bearings. A little lighter fluid fixed one and two drops of oil fixed the other!

If you don't check the bearings and check the braking surfaces before you use a new baitcaster, you are asking for trouble.

Ditto as on-going maintenance. There are no self lubricating bearings! Some reels, like a Corado 50 I have, seems to want a drop of oil if it's been out in the rain. Others like my Chronarchs and Calcutta's seem virtually bullet proof. Better designs, better bearings? I suppose so, but all mechanical things need some TLC once in awhile.

Don't over look an annual or biannual professional cleaning...I took a Calcutta in for a small problem last month, and was amazed at how much better it worked after being properly cleaned. This reel was last done professionally about two years ago. I felt it was still working fine. It just goes to show how over time even well maintained reels slow down without you noticing.

Most reel repair shops charge $20.00 - $25.00 for cleaning and adjusting a reel. If you bought a quality reel, this is money well spent.

Garry2R's

I have tried to take my Citica and Curado apart for lubeing, but was very intimidated by all the gears and springs, so i put them quickly back together.mellow.gif I'd really like to find a local guy that i could bring them to. Me and machines don't see eye to eye.whistling.gif

I bought my gf a quantum kvd casting reel because I promised her if she learned how to use a bait-caster I'd get her a set up. I thought my gf forgot how to use one she was getting so many back lashes out there. I gave the reel a shot and wow, the brakes on that reel do nothing from one extreme to the other... I've thought about trying to fix it but for some reason couldn't figure out how to get it apart and gave up before searching how lol. I lost the receipt so were stuck with it and can't sell it so I guess I'm going to have to figure out what causing it to be a piece of crap...

I bought my gf a quantum kvd casting reel because I promised her if she learned how to use a bait-caster I'd get her a set up. I thought my gf forgot how to use one she was getting so many back lashes out there. I gave the reel a shot and wow, the brakes on that reel do nothing from one extreme to the other... I've thought about trying to fix it but for some reason couldn't figure out how to get it apart and gave up before searching how lol. I lost the receipt so were stuck with it and can't sell it so I guess I'm going to have to figure out what causing it to be a piece of crap...

I think you will find a switch on the front edge under the level wind.

Push it to the side and twist the non-crank side plate down.

You might have to tap it with a soft mallet to get it to turn the first time, as it fits very tightly.

The brake works by moving a cluster of pins in and out of the brake drum. The higher the number selected the more pins contact the brake drum. Therefore, if it's not working I suspect that you have grease on the brake drum. You can clean it off with camp-stove gas or lighter fluid.

Garry2rs

If I'm allowed an opinion----I like many have many rods and reels

---Several Manufacturers------And if someone was giving away for free higher end Quantum reels to all OFC members----they could give mine to somebody else.

this Zebco rebrand I dislike---and I've tried many

So if Shimano---daiwa and such all ship across from Asia---they're all not reacting the same

Anyway--just my opinion---if they work for you---terrific

Maybe I just keep luckin into the duds

I bought a new Abu STX20 a few months ago- and I notice a bit of grinding every so often. I've used sewing machine oil on it, but like Mercman said, I'm intimidated to do anything beyond a few oily squirts. I know a reel repair guy in North Bay, maybe I'll contact him if only for a bit of advice.

I've had good and bad reels such as described here. After one of my fishing buds made a recommendation I haven't had any issues since.

When you purchase a new reel, get it serviced first. Amazing the difference can make, not only in performance, but life of the product as well.

But after trying various reels, my two favorites are the Okuma Avenger and Stradic CI4 spinning reels. The Okuma is cheap too, but performes very well.