Algonquin Park - September for Brookies

mirogak

Hi all,

I am not new to Algonquin park but I am new to fishing in Algonquin park. Lately I have become obsessed with Brook trouts - and I have heard and researched that Algonquin has world class brook trout fishing. Last time I went there on Labour day weekend and tried the Oxtongue river but with no luck. I think it was the temperature - it was very hot and humid. I came back to work and have become obsessed with going back and trying my luck again. I actually have dreams about catching these babies.

Anyways, I am going again on the last weekend of September 23-25. Since I don't have a lot of time I won't be doing back country. I want to try the Oxtongue river, a couple of small water bodies just north of Tea Lake and maybe a couple of water bodies just west of Cannisbay Lake. Please see attached pictures.

I need your help in prioritizing my options. I usually catch and release but I definitely want to taste these fish that I have heard so much about. I have researched on this site about lures and how the interior offers much better fishing. For now I want to try around the Hwy corridor, plus I am not yet ready for the interior (don't have the right gear, next year in Spring for sure)

Also, if the brooks are in spawning mode, do they die shortly afterwards - and would they still taste good.

PS: I found out that the Westward Lake just north of the Oxtonque river between the Whiskey Rapids and Tea Lake offers great views and great brook fishing. But I think the regulations in that Lake are pretty tight when it comes to keeping it. I wonder if you guys have fished there and comment on the views and fishing.

Thanks guys,

Appreciate the help.

Miro

Tea Lake and Oxtongue River Spots.JPG

Algonquin is a pretty pressured spot. I don't think your going to get a lot of help. Your going to have to go through all the hit and miss that the rest of us have. The stuff that Fishlogic posted is a good place to start. Your going to need a canoe,some effort,and time to dig out the good stuff.

Algonquin as you already know does have some world class brook trout opportunities. I think most anglers would be hardpressed to tell you where they go but AP publishes a book of their interior lakes and what they hold. The older version if you can get your hands on one even rated each lake, that version was discontinued for obvious reasons.

I have been going on interior trips to Algonquin for many years and most of the big lakes hold brookies, you just need to troll the shorelines in early spring and you will be rewarded. (ie, Dickson, Lavielle)

Along hwy 60 they have stocked many lakes with brookies and splake ,you can find the stocking lists online. I have caught 5lb brookies in these stocked lakes so you know they are thriving and doing well. Just make sure you read the regs carefully. You also cannot use and live bait in AP.

Good Luck

I have been going on interior trips to Algonquin for many years and most of the big lakes hold brookies, you just need to troll the shorelines in early spring and you will be rewarded. (ie, Dickson, Lavielle)

Thanks jds63 - you mentioned early Spring, what about now. Isn't now a good time too.

Gents,

I totally understand the prized knowledge of secrets spots in AP and I am willing to find mine the hard way. That is precisely why I am starting out on this journey with these spots. I just need help from you experts in prioritizing these spots for me, for this one trip.

Thanks,

Miro

but AP publishes a book of their interior lakes and what they hold. The older version if you can get your hands on one even rated each lake, that version was discontinued for obvious reasons.

That book was discontinued because it was spectacularly inaccurate LOL!

To the original poster, none of the waters you're contemplating are what I'd consider quality brook trout waters.

To the original poster, none of the waters you're contemplating are what I'd consider quality brook trout waters.

Hey solopaddler,

I was hoping you'd join in on this thread. Its my last go at it for this year before the season closes down - and I am not ready just yet for the interior waters. It looks like I may just have to stick to bass again for the 4th time this year.

Ok tell me this then - have you guys seen that map by Jeffery. How accurate is that mapping as a fishing guide?

Thanks,

Miro

Hey solopaddler,

I was hoping you'd join in on this thread. Its my last go at it for this year before the season closes down - and I am not ready just yet for the interior waters. It looks like I may just have to stick to bass again for the 4th time this year.

Ok tell me this then - have you guys seen that map by Jeffery. How accurate is that mapping as a fishing guide?

Thanks,

Miro

I have the map, it's a truly beautiful piece of work.

As a navigational tool it's the best I've ever seen.

As a fishing guide, not so much.

Bear in mind most of the traditionally good trout waters in Algonquin are no secret and quite well known.

The best waters are in the interior.

The lakes adjacent to or close to the hwy 60 corridor are just not that good.

Notable exceptions being stocked lakes. I believe someone already posted a link to stocking lists for Algonquin.

It's really not that hard to figure out which corridor lake to hit after studying those lists.

There's a couple of lakes that are HEAVILY stocked. Way more than the others. :whistling:

If it's wild brookies you're after you're going to have to fish the interior though.

Bear in mind you don't need that much time to do a quality interior trip.

I've accessed Dickson a bunch of times in half a day from the landing at Opeongo.

This obviously includes the use of a water taxi up and down the lake.

And a lot of the info the park has is deliberately misleading. Every angler I know that is a regular there, when creel surveyed lies thru their teeth as to how the fishing was and where they caught fish

:clapping:

Ain't that the truth LOL!!!

Where your trip is focused "has" specs I gaurentee...BUT

Not in great numbers mainly because of the easy access off the coridor.

But enjoy the views as they ARE beautifull that time of year all along the west gate.

But be forwarned you can hear the highway from there....if its a back country experience your after, its not the spot.

If your hell bent on a spec for the frying pan I suggest a stocked lake...there are plenty in the area. BTW...where are you planning to camp at the Tea lake Camp grounds???

If you are, then to be blunt...I'd switch to targeting Bass.

Don't overlook smoke creek, and coot L.

You might even get lucky and get a spec working the stumps....pray for colder temps though :whistling:

Cheers,

Hey solopaddler,

Thanks,

Miro

The old AP map that actually rated the lakes did have some good info at the time of publication, but those ratings probably don't refelect current situation.

I also have jeffrey's Algonquin map, its the best detailed map of Algonquin for interior tripping. I don't use it as a fishing guide. Since you mentioned fishing the corridor lakes, I think if you get the list of stocked lakes and spend a some time checking them out you will find that there are some real gems. I agree that they can be hit and miss but you should be successful if you put in the time to perfect your techniques. As mentioned try late September and mid may trolling and casting spinners and small cleos.

Algonquin is a beautiful place and I prefer interior trips when i can get the time.

It's really not that hard to figure out which corridor lake to hit after studying those lists.

There's a couple of lakes that are HEAVILY stocked. Way more than the others. :whistling:

Yep, I did my homework, studied the lists, and cross-referenced with Jeffrey's map. I think I have a different set of spots to try now. Thanks for the tips guys.

If your hell bent on a spec for the frying pan I suggest a stocked lake...there are plenty in the area. BTW...where are you planning to camp at the Tea lake Camp grounds???

If you are, then to be blunt...I'd switch to targeting Bass.

Don't overlook smoke creek, and coot L.

Cheers,

Nah my friend, Tea Lake is closed for the season as of Labour Day. And yes I did fish those spots for bass and they were great. But I only have one thing in my mind - and that is Brookies.

All right folk,

After more due diligence I have new spots and it contains the stocked lakes. But still have some questions:

• Do the wild specks taste, fight or look different than their stocked counterparts?
  • If I were to hit a stocked lake, would it be better to hit the ones that were stocked in great numbers in previous years, rather than the ones that are stocked periodically and consistently in moderate numbers. I guess my uneducated guess would be to hit the lakes that were stocked in previous years, that way they are more "wilder" (for the lack of a better word) and would have grown in size.
  • Also, this time of the year (end of September), its best to troll or cast. If troll, then what depths (near shores?) and if cast, then what are good spots to cast (shoals, bays, around islands, river/creek mouths etc)
  • Lures - I have Williams wobbler (2" long) and mepps #1, #2. These work well? Should I also invest in a Rapala.

Thx,

Miro

One last question for those of you who have had privilege of enjoying a speck and splake - do Splake also taste good?

They're fantastic! I don't mind giving up this info...Ermine lake right at the border of the park near the west gate has very good splake fishing.

How you access the lake is an entirely different matter though LOL!

BTW what spots have you targetted?

Nemo

I am thinking of these spots:

Day 1 - Bluff Lake and Lake St. Anthony

Day 2 - Myra Lake and Little Minnow Lake

Day 3 - on my way back I will stop by the Oxtongue river between the Whiskey rapids and the Tea Lake Dam

Might be a bit ambitious but will try.

Miro