hydro planned outage

grt1

we got a call a couple weeks ago that sep 11 we would be having a power outage from 8 am to 4pm. Not a big deal, since the hydro does this to us a couple times a year.

BUT, last night my neighbour said , "do you think the hydro could get away with this in Toronto area"

So, here's my question,

Would you put up with this or would you go after hydro for a rebate of some sort (sure, youre not using hydro so you can't be charged for the time it off, but should you go after them for a bonus rebate due to the inconvenience they have caused)

gotta sign off , hydro is down in 5 minutes

My power NEVER....EVER goes out LOL!!!

Truth is it used to happen frequently as a kid during storms where the power might be out for a couple hours etc...

But now I can safely say My power has not been off for more then a single minute since the BIG black out a few years back. And even then its been 15 to 20 years of solid power....

Seriously maybe a minute is the longest its been out here in good 'ol K town.

That being said other area's of kitchener have had outages that last a couple hours, but to my knowledge There has not been an outage in K/W that lasted more the 4-5 hours in 20 years(excluding the big BBQ a few years back)

Just say'n :dunno:

yup, a PLANNED outage. Hydro does this 2 or 3 times a year and it shuts down all the businesses and affects 4 towns as well as the outlying areas so they can do maintenance to the lines or perhaps connect another new feed into the system.

So if th GTA was told, sorry power is off for 8 hours on such and such a date and time. What would you do?

I live in Pickering within sight of the nuke plant and my power goes off 2-3 times a day, sometimes for a few seconds sometimes a few minutes, I must reset all the clocks constantly.

I was worried I had bad wiring in the house....you sir, just made my day:thumbsup_anim:

I live in Pickering within sight of the nuke plant and my power goes off 2-3 times a day, sometimes for a few seconds sometimes a few minutes, I must reset all the clocks constantly.

I live in the country out towards longpoint and my power goes out almost every day at some point...only for a split second or two...I have a UPS which automatically switches my computer power to two big giant batteries so I don't lose my work... my internet doesn't run off of it though so I always have to reset the router, and all my clocks.... it's a serious pain in the behind! Glad it's not just me! haha

Cheers,

Ryan

I have been in a four year feud with Toronto Hydro over our constant blackouts. Since I moved into the house, four years ago, we have had a steady stream of outages. some lasting hours, some lasting minutes.

My greatest fear re the outages stems from the power surges that proceed and follow outages. There are spikes when the power goes out and when it comes back on.

I have connected with Toronto Hydo numerous times and have kept a running log of the outages. I have spoken with many techs at T.H and the answer is always the same. "there are a number of trees in your neighbourhood and they, plus animals can cause lines to be broken.

This answer was unacceptable to me, as all our hydro lines are... buried!

So, after much calling, sniffing and generally being a pain in the anus, I have found out the following...

Historically, before the amalgamation of Toronto Hydro and Scarborough Hydo, Scrborough Hydro had a team of workers, who's sole job was to climb into the ground based transformers and clean out any debres (leaves, trash)from the bottom of the vault, to ensure that the drain in the vault was clear.

Well, our good friends at Toronto Hydro deemed that function to be redundent and killed the job. So, when ever it rains, there's a good chance that I will lose power.

T.H. has told me to put a UPS (uninteruptable power supply) on every circuit in my house, to ensure that I don't loose any electronic equipment. The cost of each unit is in the $200 to $300 range.

I have already had to replace my TV once... but Hydro says that if I have a receipt, they will give me the depreciation value of the TV... it was 15 years old!!!!

So, in answering the O.P.'s question, yah, we here in Toronto have to put up with the same crap, only we don't get to know when the power is going to go out... atleast they give you a heads up!

HH

Edited by Headhunter

That was going to be my reply, just about word for word (I'm on Grenoble Blvd.). We called Ontario Hydro years ago about it, they said it was mostly squirrels getting into the transformers. I told them that if that were true there wouldn't be any squirrels left in town.

I think that the hydro planned outages in the Red Lake area are based around Goldcorps needs. I was up there for a few of them last year. A company as huge as Goldcorp needs hydro shutdowns for maintanence and such every so often. It's safer to have the entire grid shut down rather than local shutdowns and Goldcorp takes major advantage of such opportunities. Goldcorp rules up there. After all, they make gold up there.

Had a planned outage this spring at our place in Bobcaygeon. Gave us 3 weeks advance notice. Never gave any thought to asking for a rebate.

It was supposed to be from 6AM to 9AM on a Sunday morning. It was only out for less then an hour. Maybe your outage will not be all day, just a portion of it.

yup, a PLANNED outage. Hydro does this 2 or 3 times a year and it shuts down all the businesses and affects 4 towns as well as the outlying areas so they can do maintenance to the lines or perhaps connect another new feed into the system.

So if th GTA was told, sorry power is off for 8 hours on such and such a date and time. What would you do?

I'm pretty sure I'd go fishing :D

We seem to get one or two planned outages a year. Usually about 4 hours or so and plenty of notice before hand. No big deal.

I agree with Jer, there's always a couple weeks notice, the outage is usually shorter than they speculate and it's never a big deal at all.

"REBATE"....you guys crack me up.... :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: you want a rebate for power you didn't use.... :rofl2: :rofl2:

Now, on a more serious note: It's your government that has these planned outages to increase your population..... :whistling: ....it's always in the rural sparsely populated areas right.... :whistling: