Tundra is DOWN

Billy Bob

My Toyota Tundra is down for a brake job.......needs rear brake job.

I tried to remove the REAR brake rotor/drum a few days ago and I couldn't budge it...I need to replace the rotors and disc pads on this beast....the friggin tires alone must way at least 100 lbs each... :wallbash: ...I going back in today with a map gas torch and if need be I will borrow a acetylene torch...but does anyone have any other suggestions on seized rotors and how you got them off.....I had a Ford Escape that took me over 3 hours to remove the stupid rotors....only until I got a acetylene torch did the passenger side come loose.

Put the torches away billy bob....

Saw this method a few years back and have kept it in the back of my mind if I ever have another bad brake job experience.

Everything is easy when you know how! That was a good video!

Billy Bob, you :asshat: You scared the crap out of me when I saw the title of your post, I thought you ment your new pup not some stupid truck!

Oh well, with a little luck you'll have those rotors off in no time now!

I'd be a little concerned using the process in that video on some stuck rotors on some cars/trucks.

Some rotors are stuck on so bad that doing it in that manner may break off or bend the tabs that hold the caliper. Then replacement of the complete knuckle would be needed.

Perhaps applying some pressure using that method and a few raps on the face of the rotor to break the rust would be needed.

I have found hitting the face of the rotor between the studs the best way to loosen the rust.

But you need to be careful not to hit the studs.

I'd be a little concerned using the process in that video on some stuck rotors on some cars/trucks.

For sure Bernie. Just anothing "trick" to add to the toolbox though.

In hindsight the best thing would be to take the rotors off before they're siezed on and put a little dab of anti-sieze between the rotor/hub.

I'd go with the hammer on the back tactic - I have a nice 4lb club hammer which works every time, if they're the 'drum inside' type then in it's probably the shoes holding it on rtaher than any rust. Be careful using a torch near the wheel bearings.

ETA - The parking brake is off, isn't it?

Edited by cuzza

I'm ALL DONE... :)

2 not 1 map gas torches and BINGO....

I did like the video and will keep in mind for the next time...

And Paul, I am a mechanic with RA who can still do some work depending on how well I feel.....Went to Alfred State University and have a associates degree in light auto mechanics....but now with almost EVERYTHING being computer controlled, I'm pretty much useless in most aspects of today's modern vehicles.... :wallbash: ...changing brake rotors and pads are not complicated IF you can get them damn rotors off... <_<

Everything is easy when you know how! That was a good video!

Billy Bob, you :asshat: You scared the crap out of me when I saw the title of your post, I thought you ment your new pup not some stupid truck!

Oh well, with a little luck you'll have those rotors off in no time now!

SO SORRY Cliff....didn't think of it that way.... :o

Little Tundra slept the whole time outside in the shade while I did the brake job....she was so good I'm going to take her to a park to run and run and run so she'll sleep again... :D

I agree with you in the computer age stuff. It's a pain when you don't have the right diagnostic tools. The car companies are now employing engineers who have a grudge against us mechanics.. you can't get your hand into anything without a cut or removal of everything short of teh engine! VW now has ELECTRONIC parking breaks instead of mechanical.. try to figure that stuff out when it breaks.

Edited by Lokka

I agree with you in the computer age stuff. It's a pain when you don't have the right diagnostic tools. The car companies are now employing engineers who have a grudge against us mechanics.. you can't get your hand into anything without a cut or removal of everything short of teh engine! VW now has ELECTRONIC parking breaks instead of mechanical.. try to figure that stuff out when it breaks.

OUCH...