Trailer light replacement

Rizzo

Noticed my right trailer light wasn't working, so went to put in a new bulb, piece of cake right? Couldn't figure out how to pop the red lens off (last trailer they came off easily). Saw couple of screws in the back so thought maybe have to remove whole housing. Of course the screws broke in the process so had to drill them out. Got the whole housing off the trailer now (other than the wires holding them) and still can't figure out how to get at the dang bulb!! Am I missing something here? Like I said, last trailer I had the lens came off no problem, this thing is like trying to get into Fort Knox. Trailer is a princecraft for anyone who has any knowledge. Now its personal.

I have a Princecraft trailer, Roger. They're manufactured by Remeq. There are 2 bolts coming through the back of the metal housing. I need to remove the nuts on both bolts to get the red lens out. The first time I removed them I replaced them with stainless hardware.

Roy, I got the bolts out but still can find no way to pop any cover off. I tried going in through the bottom of the unit (there's a bit of a translucent shield) but that didn't seem like the way to get at it.

are they round or rectangular housings?

Rizzo, i have a set of princecraft taillites if you want them. they are like new. No charge, just pm me your address. They are about the same age as yours, but my dad took them off when he bought his boat, and replaced them. I took them while cleaning his workshop in the spring.Figured they would be better in my workshop, than in the garbage.

Like Roy said, the inner unit that holds the bulbs slides out from the bottom. Look close you will see the tab you have to press to get it to disengage. First time for me I was getting closer to the hammer as frustration was increasing, now it's a 2 minute job to replace the bulbs when they burn out.

Oh, and you don't have to take out the bolts that hold the assembly to the trailer frame.

Edited by Fisherman

Like Roy said, the inner unit that holds the bulbs slides out from the bottom. Look close you will see the tab you have to press to get it to disengage. First time for me I was getting closer to the hammer as frustration was increasing, now it's a 2 minute job to replace the bulbs when they burn out.

Oh, and you don't have to take out the bolts that hold the assembly to the trailer frame.

Try putting them in water to see if it lubes the housing a bit to slide out. I just replaced mine this weekend.

awesome! so I do have to remove that "translucent" piece from the bottom it appears. Looks like from the photos the red part is all one piece and its the bottom that pops out

Pull up on the black tab. It should say "lift" on it :) It should slide straight out (its on grooves )out of the red housing but might need some water to get it moving.

Edited by scugog

thanks Scugog, mine look pretty much the same as yours except my wiring goes through one of the little slots on the side. I had tried to pull that piece out last night (stuck a screwdriver in one of the little slots to try and pry it out) but when it resisted I figured I was doing something wrong (learned that lesson from my wife :whistling: )