Ice damage at local marina

Big Cliff

gallery_415_187_14438.jpg

Well, I couldn't get inside to see how much damage has been done to the boats but if you look at the wall on the right and several of the supports you can see that the ice has done a number on them. At least three of the boats are now in the water and I am sure they will have suffered a fair amount of damage as the roof seems to be resting on them and at least one of them is partly submurged. I sure hope they have a good insurance policy. not sure whow's insurance would have to cover it, the boat owners or the marina's.

And you think you had a bad day? :dunno:

The Insurance co. of the Storage facility would have to cover any damage as long as they HAD Ins. I worked at a yacht club for a few years and we left boats in the water all year with an aerating system. Some Ins. companies offer no insurance for this. Nor would the yacht clubs ins. cover the boats so it was a convenience offered you had to carry your own Ins. I know of several storage facilities that operate like this.

Not sure how they will handle it Roy, there is still a lot of ice out here and if the wind shifts before most of it breaks up there could be a lot more damage. Keeping my fingers crossed cause it has to just be heart wrenching to see your boat in that sort of a situation and not be able to do anything but wait and see.

Yes Lew, that is the one.

Many years ago my grandparents had a waterfront home on the west side of Simcoe, a couple miles south of the Narrows.

We were up there one spring day when a strong wind from the south east started pushing the ice towards their shoreline. They were lucky and didn't sustain any damage, but many other places with boathouses and the like suffered alot of damage as we stood watching the ice moving like a glacier and not a thing in the world could stop it.

Not many things in this world can change Mother Nature's mind once she decides to do something.

Yup, that ice is powerful stuff!

I didn't end up going to the marina afterall, but our boat is fine, our slip is fine and that's all I needed to know.

Not sure what they're gonna do with it now tho......those boats in there are gonna be a big job to get out........if they can get them out!!

I'm going to stop by there tomorrow while Im in town.

Thanks for the pics Big Cliff!

Sinker

hey Sinker, I won't be around during the day, going to help a friend frame in some windows and stuff but I should get home around 5, if you are in the area drop in. Coffee is always hot and sometimes if you are lucky there might even be a cold one in the fridge (might be a few weeks old LOL, just depends on who was here last)! Anyway, Hope to meet you one of these days!

Cliff

Always carry insurance on your boat in the winter! It`s probably been about 25 years ago, the marina one of my buddies was at is in a river valley. The ice builds up by the highway bridges over the river and forms a dam backing up water and more ice.

They had a quick thaw that year and it all came down at once, it took the boats stored in bunks on shore and washed most of them to the river mouth were they hit the steel breakwall and sunk. My buddy lost a 30 foot searay he bought the summer before. He was one of the lucky ones though, he kept insurance on his boat all year, a lot of the people didn`t they lost like 60 boats and only about half were insured.

hey Sinker, I won't be around during the day, going to help a friend frame in some windows and stuff but I should get home around 5, if you are in the area drop in. Coffee is always hot and sometimes if you are lucky there might even be a cold one in the fridge (might be a few weeks old LOL, just depends on who was here last)! Anyway, Hope to meet you one of these days!

Cliff

The big boat goes in May 1st, then I'll be up there a few times a week. I'm in Lindsay daily tho.......we'll have to hook up for sure.

Not quite sure where your place is, but I see your very close to the marina. You prolly see me coming and going all the time. I'm the guy who is out there breaking ice in the fall to keep duck hunting..............prolly the last boat on the lake. 16 ft Starcraft with a 40 mariner.

Sinker

Yeah, just past the second to last turn in the road, right Cliff?

Edit: Sorry, that was an inside joke. Cliff once gave me directions to his house and told me it was just past the second to last turn in the road. I told him that I would never know which was the second to last turn until I hit the LAST turn.