Posted on Kawartha Anglers board

Dave Bailey

From someone calling themselves axe1112:

Just wanted to report that the Lake Dalrymple Anglers' Association has made an application to Transport Canada to remove high-horsepower motors and jet-skis from Lake Dalrymple. We have applied for a 40hp maximum and a prohibition of jetboats.

Can't see this one getting any traction. There are probably cottagers on the lake with more than 40hp, what are they supposed to do?

I called BULL and challenged the OP for some details. I've only been away from Dal a few years and there ain't no way there's a 20 year old anglers association that I wouldn't have heard of or had belonged to! As for the rest of the fantasy....did I read something about traction? (seems like SOMEONE has one wheel in the sand). He'd have more luck reintroducing walleye stocking!

Michael

Well don't be too quick to turn your eye off the situation... we had a cottage association on Temagami that made an attempt at banning floatplanes.. regardless of the fact that at least 20 of their own members owned same. Of course like everything else they do they probably would have tried a grandfather clause for "it's fine of us, but nobody else" !

hahaha 40HP....I guess they have just enough people on the lake that think 40HP is enough for them because that is what they own?

If they were brining this up as a matter of pricipal they would go with the more standard low or 0 HP restrictions OR went with a dB type restriction like 25HP for 2 strokes and 40HP for 4-strokes.

How about baning water skiing....wait some people like doing that (I find them a pain)

I may be jumping the gun a little but my little voice tells me that they are selfish jerks.

What is so unusual about requesting a horsepower ceiling? As I recall there were a number of lakes that successfully petitioned for similar horsepower restrictions, and other associations were successful in obtaining restrictions on all motorized craft. Mind that was back in the 80's and 90's.

It very much depends upon the reasons behind the request. There are a few big stakeholders, such as the resort, that would be quick to oppose such a request.

Edited by bigugli