Dumping fish remains into the lake.

ckrb2007

People who I talk with around campfires at the trailer park I am a part of have been noticing a lot of fish remains in the water. Full carcasses, minus the fillets, and the skins of the fillets. We weren't sure where they were coming from.

Well, today, dad and I were out fishing and I noticed a boat stop, and dump out a 5gallon pail of fish remains, then speed away towards the marina. I was a good distance away so I couldn't say anything but it was clear that it was remains.

I'm just wondering if this practice is legal or illegal. There has been quite the bear problem this year so maybe it's a safe way to dispose of them?!?! I dunno.

Cheers,

Colin

Something smells fishy here. I think there's more than just dumping of fish guts going on...You didn't happen to get a head count on the carcass's in the water did ya ?

No, unfortunately I didn't nor did I go check them out. I probably should have. They could've been crappie for all i know. I was just curious about the dumping action at this time.

No, unfortunately I didn't nor did I go check them out. I probably should have. They could've been crappie for all i know. I was just curious about the dumping action at this time.

If anything the turtles will be well fed.

I did check that out once and as far as I could tell there is no problem with disposing of remains in the water. As I recall the guide explicitly says not to dispose of remains on the shore but makes no mention of chucking them in the water. I generally take mine to the dump anyway except when shore lunches are involved :)

I think the best way is to bury the guts and use the composted dirt for a garden...fish guts/carcasses make awesome fertilizer. I do throw in a few carcasses a tear while camping into weedy backbays where i see snapping turtles....the carcasses dont last long with them around!!

Legal? I don't think so but I don't know. :dunno:

I do think there is a time and place however.

Remote area and you don't want fish guts (aka bear chanel No 5 ) near your site. I think it's fine to dump the guts far away.

Busy lake with lots of residents and kids swimming. Not going to make you the favorite on the lake.

Lots of grey between those 2 extremes.

Legal? I don't think so but I don't know. :dunno:

I do think there is a time and place however.

Remote area and you don't want fish guts (aka bear chanel No 5 ) near your site. I think it's fine to dump the guts far away.

Busy lake with lots of residents and kids swimming. Not going to make you the favorite on the lake.

Lots of grey between those 2 extremes.

The area where I saw the guy dump it was just outside an area where I fish for largies. This area right now has about 2FOW and is maybe 100-150m away from the trailer park and approx 500m away from the marinas of the lake. So, it's in the busiest areas of the lake but kind of out of the way due to the shallow water.

The owner of the resort we stay at in the summer, dumps his fish houe gut pail in the bay every morning..The turtles love it and they love it there..He asks us to sererate the garbage from the guts. The plus side to this is, you get to see tons of turtles of all sorts.

Might not help if you're in the bush or whatever, but I clean my fish at home and I take the guts and skin and put it in a couple plastic bags and then freeze it until garbage day. I'm pretty sure that's legal, and if it's not, I don't have a clue how you're supposed to dispose of the inedible portions of a fish!

Might not help if you're in the bush or whatever, but I clean my fish at home and I take the guts and skin and put it in a couple plastic bags and then freeze it until garbage day. I'm pretty sure that's legal, and if it's not, I don't have a clue how you're supposed to dispose of the inedible portions of a fish!

I put them in the compost bin. I don't even want to see the look on the guys face when he opens up the lid and gets a wiff :w00t:

Slightly along the lines of fish remains, what are your thoughts with filleting fish on rivers and what to do with the head and bones? I know that it is illegal to waste an entire fish on the stream (and I am against this), but taking the fillets and leaving the head/bones/tail can be beneficial to the surround environment. The nutrients can be absorbed by the local wildlife and I'm sure other little critters will take advantage of it as well.

I think the best way is to bury the guts and use the composted dirt for a garden...fish guts/carcasses make awesome fertilizer. ...

Unfortunately, you will have racoons and skunks digging up your garden looking for scraps. Been there, done that - with disastrous results.

I put my fish on ice, take them home, wrap in newspaper and fillet them the next day.The skin seperates easier. Then i freeze the balance and throw in the trash on garbage day.Personally, i dont like finding stinking remains on the shore when i launch.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

if i'm not on a lake with camps everywhere i put them on a rock on shore and they don't last. i was told by a CO not to put them in the lake.