Best musky reel under $200

archie89

Let me first start off by introducing myself, my name is Scott and have been an avid fisherman all of my life. Last fall i started fishing for the ellusive musky and after boating a few i was hooked. Now i am in the process of purchasing a decent rod and reel combo to do battle. As much as i would love to get one of the revo toros, curados, calcuttas they are a little out of my price range. I already have a 7'6" MH St. Croix musky rod, now i am looking for solid reel to go with it for both casting and trolling...Any suggestions...Thanks

Scott

Archie, first of all, welcome aboard. What I would do in your position is check out the classifieds. Weekend Warrior is selling a round Pete Maina reel and a low profile Pete Maina for $90 total. These are not Calcuttas for sure but they're both solid starter reels. I've used both and had no trouble whatsoever. If your budget is $200, you should still have enough left over for either a decent muskie net or good release tools. You'll absolutely need those. As a newbie, you can't post to the classifieds yet but I'm sure you can PM Weekend Warrior (or anyone else) to make a deal. Good luck to you.

abu garcia record round baitcasting reels are very nice. durable and can handle the big baits very well. i would go with the biggest size. i think its either the 60 or 61 if you reel with your left.

here is the link on bps

http://www.basspro.com/Abu-Garcia-Ambassadeur-Record-Round-Baitcast-Reels/product/67751/-1191149

If you don't have the release tools I would definitely spend a little less on the reel and pick up a good net, cutters, long nose pliers and a special glove or even better two for handling the beasts. If you haven't already done a site search for musky release and handling technique and you want to learn more do one. Oh yeah, if you are using rod holders while trolling I would recommend that you buy a round reel vs a low profile, as the round reels fit much better into the rod holders.

Please don't just buy the largest size reel without thinking about the rest of the package.

The size of the reel needs to balance the size of the rod.

If you put a 6000 series Abu or a 400 series Shimano reel on a bass size rod it will be top heavy.

Musky size rods on the other hand will balance these big reels.

There is also a 300 size Cardiff that might do the trick for anyone with smaller hands.

Garry2Rs

I agree with K_F go with the ABU 6500 or the 5500 series. If you are a right handed than go with the 6501 or the 5501. The 5501 is a smaller reel, I use it for casting Bucktails and as an alternative to using a bait cast. Both models are easy to maintain too.

When I worked at LeB.a.r.o.n in the mid 90s, I saved up and got a two speed 6500 that landed me a few nice skis but in hindsight, I should have saved some bucks and stuck with the regular 6500.

The one thing I would recommend no matter what reel you get, is make sure you get a handle with flat paddles instead of rounded. I find you that you get a better hookset using them as you get more leverage when baring down on the handle.

IMO the Abu level winds are simple but reliable reels.

your best bet will be to by 2nd hand. keep an eye on classified here or, better yet have a look at muskies first or ebay. there are reels going on sale there daily.

i wouldnt get a shimano that doesn't say calcutta or curado on it but that's just me. the abu reels mentioned are fine.

I purchased a couple Abu Garcia Ambassadeur reels off of eBay for a decent price a couple of years ago and am very happy with their performance. So, I'd also recommend going the used route if you're on a budget as you can get some solid gear. Especially musky gear. It seems to me that people get into musky fishing and load up on gear only to realize they rather fish for something else, so you see a lot of it for sale. You will most definitely find a good deal on some relatively new gear if you're patient enough.

If I were going to spend $100.00 on a new musky reel the Shimano Cardiff is the one I would choose.

The C series Abu's are okay...I still have two and use them for musky, but they are 1950's designs.

Because these reels were designed for dog-leg handle rods, they sit too high on modern reel seats.

Most have only two centrifugal brakes and adjustment is done by changing the colour of the brake shoes...

Access to these shoes requires that the reel be disassembled...

They also have a well known weaknesses in the worm gear...It needs constant oiling because if it dries out the pawl quickly wears out.

I commented on reel size because there is a tendency among new musky guys to assume bigger is better.

If a 5500 is okay and a 6500 is better then a 7000 must be even better still and so on. I have seen guys with saltwater reels on heavy bass rods or relatively light musky rods that were a nightmare to cast and reel. Balance is everything, without it you have a rig that will wear you out.

I bought the Shimano Coriolis(?) many years ago, which has since been replaced by the Cardiff. Maybe it wasn't a Coriolis....but I know it was replaced with the Cardiff. It went a solid ten years with no hiccups, and I would say that I abused it...in that I never opened it once....never gave it any grease....never cleaned it.

Now...I wasn't out there pounding the water every weekend for muskies either....but I still gave that reel a lot of time over the years. I still have it. One of my fishing partners grabbed a Cardiff....I really like it. Going with a Cardiff is a great idea...sturdy....casts well...will last long enough for you to decide just how crazy you want to get about the great Lunge....and leaves you some $$ for line, net, cutters, etc.

*Edit* - Oh and btw, my reel is the 300 series...great size for casting all day

Edited by johnnyb

Have an Abu 6501 that has served me really well for several years. I think it is a great bang for the buck. Have no experience with the others mentioned here to compare wtih though.

Have heard Shimano calcutta 400Bs are nice, and you may get one for under 200. (note, this is a different reel from the calcutta TE).

I also have a revo toro. Not in your price range at normal price but have seen them on sale recently. They have 3 versions (power gear, middle gear, and high speed) and apparently are discontinuing the middle all-purpose one. In retrospect I wouldn't buy another for the price i paid (260+) but if you see them for 180-200 might be well worth it.

Edited by cram

I agree with Garry. No need to go to big, especially if you are planning on casting a bunch, as you will get really worn out. Try to find a combo that balances out nicely, otherwise you will get tired very quickly.

My casting rod for musky is a 7 ft compre paired with a daiwa plutoon. I can cast and pull anything I want with this combo, actually find it is better at handling bigger baits that my abu toro, especially stopping from free spool. Granted I do not use double cowgirls. I started salmon fishing this year and was impressed with the Okuma convectors that my buddy was using on his boat, so I ordered some left hand ones that I am going to rig up with some heavy action trolling rods, and use those primarily for trolling. I hope they hold up, not sure if the drag will have enough stopping power, as that is my only issue with the pluton. This winter I think I'll be customizing it a bit.

Since you already have a rod why not bring that in to a store and try matching it up with a reel?

Edited by fishgreg

i picked up a curado 300 on sale for 200 + taxes and I find it works well for most baits. My first muskie reel was an abu 6500 and I still use it for trolling, it is just a real pain to hold on too all day casting. Fishing bulldagws two days in a row with the 6500 made me feel like carpal tunnel was in the near future - that is for sure. As most recommend I would go used on a quality reel if you can find one. However, if you go the 6500 route it can always go on a trolling rod once you upgrade..