Musky fishing

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice if possible. I grew up with bass fishing but after buying a boat this year I got into pickerel and more recently pike and musky fishing. Well I've caught some pickerel after over 10 years without catching one, plus I've caught my first pike ever in late June, which remains my biggest yet (30" out of the Trent River). I've also caught my PB bass this year, so this has been by far my best fishing year. Plus, the first weekend of trying for musky I hooked into one that jumped right in front of me and shook the hook. It wasn't huge but if I had to guess I'd say 36", by far my biggest fish had I landed it. Well, I was confident I'd be getting some musky after that close call but....nothing since. I haven't even seen any follows from musky, let alone hits. Since getting at least 1 this year has become almost an obsession of mine, it's been frustrating. I live in Belleville but I've fished the Trent River in Cambellford most often because that's where my fishing buddy goes and that's the water I'm most comfortable with. I've tried Baptiste up north a few times, always getting skunked (not even getting a pike there) and recently Elephant lake a few times, getting skunked the first day but getting some pike the last couple of times. I'm going to try Moira Lake for a few hours Saturday morning before work, hoping a new lake will bring me some better luck.

I can't understand why I'm not even getting follows though. I often use bucktails, hellhound, plugs, topraider, sledges, soft plastics. I try to vary the speed, casting angles. I focus on deeper weed beds, around islands or sunken rocks, mouths/shoulders of bays, rock ledges, etc... basically structure I can see because I don't have a fish finder and after all I've spent this year on gear, it's not in my budget lol. I figure 8 after every cast, I just don't get it. I knew it would be tough and take time, but I'm quickly losing confidence. Can somebody please give me some tips I might be overlooking? I've never fishing for musky before this year and I don't even know anybody who does, so I'm very green and any help would be appreciated. Also, does anyone know which bodies of water have good numbers around Belleville? I'm not looking for trophy fish yet, I'm just trying to get a few under my belt and get a hang of it. Keep in mind I only have a 14' aluminum with a 9.9 so weedy areas are no problem, but I can't be running accross big lakes all day long.

Any info would be great. I'm not looking for secrets but like I said, I am VERY new to this kind of fishing and obviously with the lack of follows I'm not approaching it correctly. Thanks.

get sonar... and troll...troll...troll...

trolling is one of the best ways to locate fish as well as spots to cast...

your boat should be able to troll all day for 10-20 bucks in gas...

and youll cover loads of water...

think about it...

trolling 5mph for 10 yours means your lures covered 50 miles of weedlines... rockpiles...wood... flats... deep basins...etc...

it would take you a week to cast this much of an area...

you dont need expensive sonar... crappy tire 100 dollar units will do... and it would be way more valuable than most of the lures you have spent money on...

Musky fishing on Baptise is real tough. With pike in the system for over 10 years the numbers are way down. I usually target pike when fishing Baptise with good results. PM me if your heading to Baptiste and ill put you on some fish. As for your area my best advise is look at a map, find some smaller lakes around you, then google the lake name and follow it with the word muskie or musky. That way you'll know if there are musky in the water and smaller lakes are easyer to figure out. Start inside the weed line then out side the weed line, troll open water, look for broken rocks coming off the shore, wind blow islands etc. Sunny days are great for finding structure but over cast choppy days are best. Also check the moon phases

Good luck

Don't give up! is the first tip I can give you. They are one of the toughest fish to catch. My buddy and I talk about this all the time when we're out chasing lunge. There are times when you will get numerous fish in a day and then go through stretches on the water where you think the lake was dead. That's where we lose the novice muskie angler! Elephant and Baptiste have muskie, but not a large population and we don't know the effects the pike have had on them. The narrows between the lakes has produced muskie for me in the past.

Follows rarely happen for me anymore on Pigeon Lake, maybe they don't need to follow anything because of the amount of forage available to them. Twenty years ago we would get a follow everytime I was out, so I don't understand that.

I have heard good things about Moira, so it's worth a try.

Try not to get carried away with spending a fortune on tackle until you're sure this is for you. Basic baits like you mentioned should get you into another one eventually and I'm sure we'll see a picture posted on this website when it happens!

Just my thoughts.

Happy Angling!

Patience and Perserverance. I only get to musky fish a couple weeks a year. Landed a 47 1/2 this June - it was about 5 years ago when I caught my last one. Quite a few followers over those years, but no takers. But, I didn't get discouraged. You're only ever one cast away from landing a big one. Keep trying - you'll get her.

why dont you try the st.lawrence river?

bellville isnt very far from the larry and there are musky everywhere in the larry... and if you pick a sectoin with a lot of islands... your protected from big waves and will have an abundance of spots to fish...

even a smaller boat like yours can fish the larry... i did it with my old 14 foot tinner and 9.9 combo... you just have to find a boat launch that is located near prime locations... so if weather gets nasty... your not that far from the launch...

Patience and Perserverance. I only get to musky fish a couple weeks a year. Landed a 47 1/2 this June - it was about 5 years ago when I caught my last one. Quite a few followers over those years, but no takers. But, I didn't get discouraged. You're only ever one cast away from landing a big one. Keep trying - you'll get her.

Patience and Perserverance... i guess so... 5 years without a fish and still high spirits... good for you... 47 1/2 inch rewadard for your time...

The absolute best way, is to take the time to get to know someone who fishes Musky, and who trusts you enough to take you out. Ask the questions right there on the water, and find out why they can catch em, and you can't. Probably just something simple you may be doing wrong. PM Musky Mike, he helped me get my first, not long ago.He is an excellent guide on the Franny. I can almost guarantee you will get Musky with him guiding you.

NEVER break the trust between you and the person who will take the time to help you out.

Since you are in the Belleville area, there is no one better to talk to than Stacy Ash over at Pro Tackle at 43 Putnam Industrial Road, just off Hwy 37.

I have talked to him a few times, he helped me out with lure selection, gave me some advice. I'm thinking of booking a musky charter with him if I haven't caught one by october but it's $300 per day, that's quite a bit if I still don't catch a single musky.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I really appreciate it. I'm going to keep at it for sure, I guess I'm just not very patient. It's hard enough finding people to fish with me for 10+ hours in a day like I want to, but I don't know anybody who fishes musky, except the guys at protackle but I don't really "know" them, either.

That is cheap...

Think of it this way... 300 bucks for 10 hours... Minus expenses... Say 50-100 bucks...

He's only walking away with 20-25 an hour for a special skill... That is cheap... Think of it as a skilled trade... How much do you think it costs for a plumber or electrician to come to your house for 10 hours...?

Sounds like your doing the right things give it time and you will be rewarded they dont call them the fish of 10,000 casts for nothing. this last weekend we were out and I only boated 1 I had 4 other follows and 1 one trolling and my daughter had a fish slam her top raider boat side but only had 1 fish boated this was all on a lake that I know well and usually get a bunch of fish but I could only hit 1 trolling.

I guess my point is give it time I know I was not disappointed with only 1 but should have had more but that's musky fishing.

Oh yea what Wayne said $300 for a day of musky fishing is very cheap for a guide on the water

Stoco Lake might be a good start since it is sorta near.

When i started trying musky 25+yrs. ago knowing an exact weedline on a Kawarthas lake and constantly trolling up and down it with medium sized lure (Rapala J-13) was a great place to start. Find a good musky lake with a clear weedline and troll it.

Muskies can hit at any time, and fish whenever you can, BUT be sure to concentrate your efforts during prime times like low light (morning, evening) overcast days, ahead of fronts and nasty weather (not T storms). Also night time can be great especially on pressured lakes in summer. Muskies are easier to catch when they are biting :D

Another thing to think about is fish populations on the lake... If there is a tonne of musky where your fishing... And you keep trying the same spots without success... You should eliminate that water... Keep eliminating water by fishing it multiple times and you will eventually find tge fish

That is cheap...

Think of it this way... 300 bucks for 10 hours... Minus expenses... Say 50-100 bucks...

He's only walking away with 20-25 an hour for a special skill... That is cheap... Think of it as a skilled trade... How much do you think it costs for a plumber or electrician to come to your house for 10 hours...?

Yeah, I'm not really complaining about the price (especially since it's his boat, his equipment, he takes you out for lunch), it's just I've spent a lot of money on just fishing related stuff this year, I'm not sure if I should be spending more. I'm trying to save money too afterall. I'm setting money aside for it though and it's not like it will break the bank. It's just a slippery slope lol.

For those of you who troll, what lures do you find most effective? I usually troll from 1 spot to the next with bucktails since they don't get hung up on the weeds as much. I've never had a hit while trolling, it's not really my favourite kind of fishing. Would my 9.9 be quiet enough for musky trolling? I've heard they can be spooked easily, but I've also heard you can catch them right in the prop wash, so I'm not sure what to believe. One thing I like to do (when the wind cooperates) is just drift down large weedbeds. It allows me to cover water while at the same time fishing the spots thoroughly, but still no luck.

I'm definetely going to try Stoco this fall, I've heard good things about that lake. I might make that the lake I go to if I book a charter.

Thanks again guys for all the advice. It's really, really helpful and encouraging.