STA-BIL Marine Fuel Stabilizer

baironhorse

Since we're in the winterizing period, saw that marine Sta-Bil was on sale at Canadian tire for $7.29 (reg $10.49). The red stuff was also on sale. Was supposed to end Oct 27 but guess they're keeping it low to move it.

I think the blue is only a treatment to negate any affects of ethenol,and red is used for winterizing.

Their website seems to indicate that it has the stabilization properties but the marine version also has extra cleaning agents and corrosion preventers

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/products.aspx#marine_formula

Picked up the blue last week at canadian tire and assumed it was both stabilizer and treatment but after reading the label and checking the website decided to use the red for storage.

The Marine version (blue) is the red plus added stabilizer and ethanol treatment. I only use the Blue in all of my fuels from the lawn mower to the boats and engines in the cars. The big boat holds 70 gallons and is stored full to prevent moisture since it lives in the water. So far every time I have tested the gas their was no water or ethanol separation. Whether or not it works I will keep to my routine. :thumbsup_anim:

Art

This is what made me rethink useing blue onlyShould I stop using STA.doc

One more from the STA-bil FAQs make me believe that the red is required for storage:

Q: What is the difference between STA-BIl Fuel Stabilizer, Marine Formula STA-BIL, and the new STA-BIL Ethanol Treatment products?

A: STA-BIL® Fuel Stabilizer is designed for use during STORAGE of any gasoline equipment or vehicle stored for 30 days or more, or used infrequently. It will keep gas fresh for 12 months, and help prevent corrosion, and gum and varnish formation. It is effective in all gasolines, including Ethanol blends, including E-85.

Marine Formula STA-BIL® Ethanol Treatment was designed for use at every fill up for marine engines (boats, jetskis) to protect against the damaging effects experienced when using Ethanol blended fuels -- including corrosion caused by water attraction, and fuel system plugging caused by deposit loosening.

New STA-BIL Ethanol Treatment is designed for use at every fill up for all gasoline automotive and small engines for protection against these same problems

Here is a cut and paste from Sta-Bil.

Stab-Bil's Ethanol Treatment formula was designed to prevent corrosion from moisture and ethanol induced water attraction. It is the best ethanol problem fighter with more than four times the fuel system cleaner and twice the corrosion prevention than Sta-Bil, as well as two non-alcohol water removers. It was designed for use with every fill up in all 2-4 stroke marine engines running gasoline, gas-oil mixtures, and ethanol blends, and it can also be used as a safe storage treatment in snowmobiles, motorcycles, motor homes, and all outdoor power equipment including lawn mowers and tractors.

Hope it helps.

Art

For winter, either red or blue Stabil. Whichever is cheaper. As long as you run something in the tank you'll feel better. Basically you are preventing the fuel from turning to varnish which makes a mess of carbs, fuel filters, etc... I would not use Seafoam as a stabilizer, I've read up and the guys on Iboats.com who have been around the block are pretty adamant about not using it for that purpose.

from sta-bil site:. Q: Should I stop using STA-BIl Fuel Stabilizer and use the new STA-BIl Ethanol Treatment or Marine Formula STA-BIL instead?

A: There are specific needs for each product. As a general guideline, if you are STORING your gasoline vehicle or equipment for 30 days or more, we recommend you use Red STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer. For EVERYDAY PROTECTION against Ethanol blended fuels in your Marine gasoline engine, we recommended using Marine Formula STA-BIL at every fill up during the season. For protection in all other non-marine gasoline vehicles, use new STA-BIL Ethanol Treatment at every fill up. For Diesel vehicles and equipment, use Diesel Formula STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer. .:

from sta-bil site:. Q: Should I stop using STA-BIl Fuel Stabilizer and use the new STA-BIl Ethanol Treatment or Marine Formula STA-BIL instead?

A: There are specific needs for each product. As a general guideline, if you are STORING your gasoline vehicle or equipment for 30 days or more, we recommend you use Red STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer. For EVERYDAY PROTECTION against Ethanol blended fuels in your Marine gasoline engine, we recommended using Marine Formula STA-BIL at every fill up during the season. For protection in all other non-marine gasoline vehicles, use new STA-BIL Ethanol Treatment at every fill up. For Diesel vehicles and equipment, use Diesel Formula STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer. .:

Did you see anywhere if you can mix blue and red without incident?

more from sta -bil Q: Does Marine Formula STA-BIL have the same stabilization characteristics as STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer?

A: STA-BIL® Fuel Stabilizer is the recommended additive for extended storage. Marine Formula STA-BIL® can stabilize fuel if used in the proper concentration for up to 12 months, but is designed for EVERY DAY USE to protect against the damaging effects experienced when using Ethanol blended fuels.

No, but i am seeing some conflicting things on the website. maybe i can talk to someone live tomorro.will post what i find.

I would be VERY VERY careful when you call....because you do know what today is, don't you... :whistling: and you might end up talking to someone who's not alive.... :devil::rofl2:

Hello. I have been using the Starbrite fuel additive for about a year now and just read the description and it not only takes car of the ethanol problems but water, is a stabilizer, and a lubricator, etc. I am pleased with the product and will only use it as my fuel treatment. Dollar per unit cost it is cheaper too.

http://www.starbrite.com/sproductdetail.cfm?ID=1537

Michael