4x my limit on a small GTA lake.-update

Rod Caster

As some of you may know, I do a lot of exploring and mapping looking for quiet back-lakes. Sometimes I get rewarded, other times I come back with punctured tires and freshly-cleaned lures.

This particular lake was a tough one to find. JoeyT and I trucked in for nearly 25kms only to find that the last 2kms was an ATV only trail. When I say ATV only, I mean it; a small wobbly bridge is no place for a mazda. 2kms isn't a big deal to portage, but my sportspal doesn't have a yolk and is very awkward to carry for more than 100 meters.

We turned around and looked closely for other entrances, but had to move on.....

Next day: Alone, I try the south entrance this time. Suprised to find multiple logging trails I still manage to choose the right path and drive right up to a landing. I jump out of the truck, look at lake, look at map, look at lake, look at map...it's the one!!! I don't often try for summer lakers, so I was excited to try my homemade spinners and new techniques. (practice for LSPP in August!).

It was quite windy last night and I was a bit reluctant to let my sportspal drift down the lake, as I knew the return would be brutal, but that is part of the game so I drift anyway... Mid point, mide lake, I start bouncing off rocks and get a few small hits...it was too shallow for lakers on this hump so I assumed the perch were nipping at my spinner. I chuck the anchor (a rock tied to a rope) and throw in a white tube. BAM! SMB! Next 10 casts, bam bam bam etc. I start switching baits and they are basically hitting everything I can think of, which is a good way of trying baits I don't often use. A few times I drifted off the hump and the fish disappeared....I definitely found a honey hole.

Biggest one was 16"...no monsters but the action was terrific!! I'll be back out there tonight. The pics are kind of bad and please don't laugh too hard at my "ballast" and 2" of water in my canoe.

100_0018.jpg

100_0026.jpg

100_0027.jpg

Edited by Rod Caster

Geez man!!!!

You sure are getting out a lot...I'm envious!

Yeah, haha. Well, we didn't catch anything except sunburn on my knees, and my cousin who was manning the bow caught a guy's Ugly Stik (w/ Sedonna). Those Auroras must only like very early morning (exact opposite of me!), so I'll give it another shot sometime soonish.

Edited by Dana

Nice catch and nice to discover a new lake.

Just a pointer for those that fish in canoes, if you find your drift too fast, go to shore and trim off a branch. Tie one end to a rope and the rope to the canoe. Presto, you instantly have a drift sock.

Cheers, Ron...

Just a pointer for those that fish in canoes, if you find your drift too fast, go to shore and trim off a branch. Tie one end to a rope and the rope to the canoe. Presto, you instantly have a drift sock.

Cheers, Ron...

Good one. I sometimes use a small rock on bottom for the same effect...except when I hit a dropoff,...then I'm back to warp 9 drifting. I'll try the branch-sock next time.

Nip- I never kept any bass because I'm not a huge fan, but it's nice to have 40-50 fish days. I call them confidence boosters haha. Them lakers are tough to target but are definitly a better prize. Is your boat ready for mobilization???whistling.gif

Nip- I never kept any bass because I'm not a huge fan, but it's nice to have 40-50 fish days. I call them confidence boosters haha. Them lakers are tough to target but are definitly a better prize. Is your boat ready for mobilization???whistling.gif

Trim is still being worked on but no issues runing it. I hit 38.1 MPH in the chop with my 8 year old in the boat. I can hit 43 MPH whent the trim holds and the water is flat so not to bad. Let's get out in my little boat on one of your secret lakes. Like I told you before any time you want to use it come pick it up. Take my 4hp or my electric.

Sweet I'd say you found a Diamond in the Ruff & you'll have plenty of exciting days on it

Cheers, Ron...

Nice I never thought of that, not that I drift in a canoe a lot, unless I'm in 1 of the Local rivers

SBK

Nice going Chad :thumbsup_anim: Sweet reward for your efforts B)

Thanks for sharing

Leechman

Congrats! My small question about your honey hole :P...

Was it weedy/covered? By the pic it looks like it was just in open water?

I'm totally new and trying to figure out if it's a good idea to fish in wide open water.

Thanks!!!

Here are some pics from JoeyT and I's (me and JoeyT's? JoeyT and me's?) trip to the same lake, the next day. I promised Joey a pile of fish and after a lifting the anchor (rock on rope) a few times, we found good numbers of 1-2lbs SMB. One spot in particular was producing a fish every cast. SMB fight like pure muscle and make for good acrobatics!! hehe so much fun! Next time I hit that lake, I'll try to find the lakers... I guarantee I'll be looking wide eyed at the bass spots while I try to find the lakers.

thanks for the responses all!

100_0029.jpg

100_0028.jpg

100_0026-1.jpg

100_0024.jpg

100_0020.jpg

100_0017.jpg

100_0032.jpg

100_0031-1.jpg