What type of fish is this?

limeyangler

Hi all,

I have found these guys under rocks in Lake wabigoon in front of our house. I know what a Goby looks like....in England they are also known as blennies (sea version) and this is definitely one.

I spoke to an MNR guy a couple of years ago about them, he said he did not think that "Round Gobies" had made it into the lakes up here, and was i sure what i had been finding were gobies.

I am 99.9% sure it is a goby...but not sure if it is a native or invasive species. Either way i will be calling the nice Biologist lady at the MNR here in town and forwarding the pics and video...just thought i'd see what you good folks think.

So...my questions for you all are

1) Is it a goby?

2) If it is, is it invasive or native?

Thanks.

GOBY?

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VZamkNz8G4w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IMG_3846.jpg

IMG_3845.jpg

IMG_3844.jpg

IMG_3843.jpg

IMG_3842.jpg

Edited by limeyangler

Can't see the fins on yours very well, Simon. It appears to be a sculpin though. Here's a drawing that'll help identify any others you might come across. And thanks Jack for keeping an eye on invasive species for us.

goby_fin.gif

Gobies all over the Great Lakes are getting their pelvic fins clipped and going on to lead normal lives. All they have to do now is change their accent.

Would a French accent suffice outside of La Belle Province?