a couple questions

adolson

Question 1: I am using Trilene Transoptic 10lb and I liked it until it started getting super twisted, and that frustrated me. I figured out that it's probably due to trolling with a red eye lure with no swivel... So really, not the line's fault. Problem is, I now need new line. I previously tried Fireline Crystal or something like this, and I hated it. Now, my only rod currently is a 7' Ugly Stik with a Shimano spinning reel. Should I put 20lb Power Pro braid on there? Or should I buy more mono stuff? I am hesitant about braid because of my experience with that Crystal stuff, but I have little experience outside of Trilene XL, and the two I mentioned here. I read other posts and saw a lot of people liked Power Pro, but usually on baitcasters. I don't have a baitcaster [yet]. Edit: forgot to say, I am freshwater fishing for bass, pike, walleye, that kind of thing, often from shore, sometimes in a canoe, sometimes trolling. Eventually in a "real" boat.

Question 2: for night-time topwater bass fishing (from shore), is there a certain time that is best? I caught one or two (I forget now, all the fish are blending together in my head!) and I think it was around 12:30am at least one of those times. I am just curious because it's around 11:30pm right now, and I have the urge to go, but was curious if it's more productive to wait until a bit later.

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I did search around and I either find conflicting info or no info at all. And I trust you guys and your collective wisdom.

Edited by Dana

Question 1: if your going braid Power Pro all the way man. By far the best and only braid I use now. Never really had any trouble with it my spinning gear, obviously use swivels when using spinners, spoons etc .... if your running mono get some copolymer line, I really like Suffix Siege, best copolymer line I've used. Casts easy and is pretty tough. Or if your reel came with an extra spool run both types of lines depending on what kind of fishing structure/fish your targeting.

Question 2: I don't think theres a best time, depends on your area, conditions etc. Just get out there as much as possible and see what happens.

Hope this helps!

Edited by all.species

Well, I do have a second spool. I don't know why, but I forgot about it... It still has some Trilene XL 14lb from probably 1998 on there... That should probably come off soon. :) I'm still unsure about what braid is not good for, compared to mono. It seems some people just use one or the other. I guess fish might be able to see braid when the color comes out, but I read about running it through a Sharpie tip to permanently color it. All I really know is the Crystal stuff was basically dental floss and it felt like it was frayed, and it didn't feel like the samples of Power Pro tied to the packaging.

I went out at midnight, tried two lakes, got two bites, but no take. I was only using the Jitterbug. Didn't feel like changing to my Hula Popper, though I expect I would have had more bites.

Thanks for the tips. Also, I see you're almost as new as I am here - welcome!

I think as you get more experienced at night fishing you will find that some lakes have almost no night bite at all on surface lures. I went to a lake in New York once a year for years, it was maybe 600-800 acres and unlimited horsepower. It was a very busy body of water, there could be water skiers and jet skiers on the water at first light. I caught fish on surface lures during the daylight hours, at night forget them, that lake also had limited numbers of pike and skis.

You would think a lake like that where you were the only boat on the water after dark would have a good surface lure bite? Never caught a fish on a surface lure at night, jig and pig or plastic worm worked very well, and I threw like a dozen different surface lures trying to get fish on them.

The bass club I fished with for years had tournaments on a river here, in around ten years of fishing tournaments there I never saw anyone using a surface lure, day or night, it had been tried to death and never worked, you go with what will catch fish! There it was soft plastics, jig and pig, spinnerbait and occasionally a crankbait.

If I were you I would spool up with baid, as it will last longer than mono. Go with power pro, and if you are worried about line visibility attach a leader of a couple of feet, or more of mono, or fluoro if you want to spend a bit more. Don't bother spending extra on the spools of leader material though. What I do is buy a small spool of mono line (they sell them at Canadian Tire). 8 to 10 pound should help you. Tie the leader to your main line with a uni to uni knot or a surgeons knot. If you don't want to use a knot use a swivel to attach the leader to your main line, but you will have to use a shorter leader. A mono leader would be a good choice for you as it floats and you like to use topwaters.

tip:

you can untwist your current line by trolling it with nothing on (no lure, no swivel, nothing) for 10-15 mins. just let it all out and put the boat in gear and phil's your uncle.

I do alot of night time musky fishing with 65 & 80 pound Power Pro, 130 pound Seaguar fluoro leaders and large baits in shallow water and we frequentely get big incidental bass and even the odd pickeral.

I don't think the bass or pickeral are too concerned with heavy line at night and their certainly not afraid to grab big baits either.

If your not getting them on top water baits, clip on a crank or spinner bait and see what happens. You'll want to slow down your presentation way down at night though.

Give it a try and you may be very surprised at what you catch after the sun goes down.

sun017.jpg

Cnv2181.jpg

Edited by lew