Getting Bait Late in the evening

Kingsalmon

Does anybody know if there are any bait shops open in the evening along Hwy 11 going north. Leaving Thursday and want to get bait but I think most places are open early but not late. If not is there a place in Strurgeon Falls that sells bait?

Thanks

Kingsalmon

R.C. I checked a few weeks ago and there were none there. I know they used to sell worms but I couldn't even find the coller they were in this time.

K.S. Best to pick them up before you leave or around Barrie, Orillia area. Cold worms will stay alive for a long time. Just bring a coooler and some ice. There is a bait shop in Sturgeon Falls called Chez Micheaud. It is on Nipissing St. beside the chip stand. It wont be open too late though. Where are you staying when you are up here? Did you rent a cottage or a camping spot? Dont forget to load up on chartruse jigs in 1/2 oz. and 5/8 oz. Best to have a stinger hook on them. Lots of places sell them and some local tackle guys have them. J.T. Tackle is one.

We are staying at one of the lodges on the river, but I like to get my worms in advance because with my kids we will go through 5-6 dozen a day if the fish are on the bite. I was at least hoping that I can stop along the highway somewhere, but I have to settle on going to Chez Michauds in the morning.

Is there a specific reason why you want to buy them on the way? You can buy them anywhere you want right now and keep them cool. They'll last for months. I'll often pick or buy what I think I'll need for the season, keep them in a fridge and take out what I need for an outing. I check them every week or so to see if they need water. If I feel particularly generous/ambitious, I'll spread some spent coffee grounds over them to giv'em some spunk. :)

If you are going through 4-6 dozen a day. See if your local shop will sell you a 1/2 flat of worms. Just keep on ice in the cooler. A darn sight cheaper than buying by the dozen.

Go to leaches. You'll need fewer. Less time baiting hooks!

Is there a specific reason why you want to buy them on the way? You can buy them anywhere you want right now and keep them cool. They'll last for months. I'll often pick or buy what I think I'll need for the season, keep them in a fridge and take out what I need for an outing. I check them every week or so to see if they need water. If I feel particularly generous/ambitious, I'll spread some spent coffee grounds over them to giv'em some spunk. :)

Up here in Caledon there is no "local" bait shop. And I do not really have the time to go out to get them in the city. Looking at the weather forecast though, we may be leaving Friday morning instead because I cannot imagine how it comfortable it would be to sleep in a cottage with no AC after the furnace blast day we are going to have on Thursday.

Leaches may be a good option, but have never used them on Nipissing. Anybody have had success with them. Also can't see my kids putting leaches on a hook by themselves. I've already trained them with the worms, but it could be worth a shot as I know they are really tough.

Thanks for the info guys.

Why does the Lodge not have worms for sale? Call them and ask them to buy you 10 dozen or 1/2 flat and add it to your bill? My park which is www.glenrock.ca (5 minutes from where you are staying) sells worms @$2.50 / doz. How big is your boat? I can give you a few good spots near Iron Island. Remember the chartruse jigs with the stinger hook. PM me if you want specific info.

About 5-10 minutes past the exit for Old Barrie Rd on 11 North. Ellwood Epps might have some bait as well. I bet 2/3 of convinience/gas stations around orillia to Sturgeon Falls will have worms in a back fridge.

http://www.hotfrog.ca/Companies/Jacobs-Bait-And-Tackle

Hope this helps. ( For some reason, I thought Jacobs had closed a few years back, I could and probably am wrong!)

Mike

Why does the Lodge not have worms for sale? Call them and ask them to buy you 10 dozen or 1/2 flat and add it to your bill? My park which is www.glenrock.ca (5 minutes from where you are staying) sells worms @$2.50 / doz. How big is your boat? I can give you a few good spots near Iron Island. Remember the chartruse jigs with the stinger hook. PM me if you want specific info.

Thanks Nipfisher, but catching fish is never a problem. I've been coming up to Sturgeon falls since I was 5. As for spots, we always fish the mouth of the French in the reefs. My Boat? is a 24' Stanley. Its actually on Lake Ontario for most of the summer but this year it has not seen water yet. Hopefully the weather stays the same for the rest of the week.

O.K. then King...your boat kicks my 17' Starcrafts butt. We fish the mouth of the French River as well as well as Canoe pass and Gibralter Pass. This year may be a bit different for you as the surface temp is already 25 degrees. We are finding all our walleye in 35 - 45 fow even the 4" perch. Smallie bite still hasn't really started at that end of the lake. I'll keep an eye out for your Stanley.

Nip fisher would your recommend chartreuse jigs on the upper french aswell? we are staying near the bottom end of the upper french would you recommend heading towards nippising for better quality fishing or stick around the bottom of the upper french ? it looks like 16 km haul from where we are staying to nippising . Thank you