If you are looking for wireless internet

Big Cliff

We have been with Xplornet for a few years now but that is soon going to change. For weeks now we have been having problems, intermittant service, no connection...... I have called them a few times, an hour on the phone here, an hour there, gone through so many tests I can't remember them all. Then they tell me that they will have to send a tech out but I will have to pay mileage. I wait a week, nothing happens. I'm not happy but I need my computer. Then my system goes down again. I call again; Now they tell me the tech is going to be coming from Ottawa, 5 hours drive one way! (and I am supposed to pay mileage?). They walk me through a bunch of tests and decide they have no idea what is going on, it must be my system that is causing the problem. They will get someone closer than Ottawa to come and look at it (but I am still going to have to pay).

So today I am talking with my neighbour also with Xplornet and she has being having exactly the same problems for the same length of time as I have. Strange don't you think? Tomorrow morning I am going to be calling Cable Cable in Fenelon Falls to see what they can do for me. So if you are thinking of getting Wireless internet and you are thinking Xplornet, think carefully!

For now, If you send me an email or PM and don't get an answer, phone me, 705-328-0577 Cell 705-928-8899 because Xplornet sucks!

Edited by Big Cliff

Cliff, bell has a really good wireless solution up there that is reasonable if you aren't using a ton of data each month. I know folk who switched from xplornet to them and are really happy. Not a big bell fan but not much options up there and it does work.

I think I've mentioned it to you before Cliff, but I'm using a Rogers Rocket Hub over here , it's very fast and I'm happy with it. It works off the local cell tower & and so far no problems with it. It runs both my computer & phones for $50 per month if I remember correctly.

I've had Explorenet myself. It was free with the house I was renting. I still wanted to cancel it. Cliff's words are very kind as I know what he is experiencing. All sorts of excuses for it being down. It's cloudy, it's rainy, it's windy, and oh it's sunny and clear?????

Rogers doesn't have the network that Bell does up there. It runs off the cell towers to direct line of sight isn't as big an issue.

Netgear Turbo hub: http://www.bell.ca/shopping/Turbo-Hub-Flex-Plan/THUB.details

If you only do browsing and the occasional video, $45/mo isn't bad at all. Plus it automatically bumps you to next rate if you go over.

If you have other bell products you can probably haggle with them to bundle etc.

Cable cable probably has a line of sight setup similar to explornet. I'd be doing my homework on that one. Either way I'd test both to make sure speed is acceptable.

We're using Netspectrum Dad, no problems with it at all yet, we've had some pretty bad storms here and it still worked. Personally though, if I had been able to get cable internet here I probably would have gone that route instead. Not sure what they charge to install for cable, but I didn't like having to pay the $250 installation fee for wireless.

I use my computer a lot for work and have to down load some fairly large files so I am leary of going with someone that has caps or limits. Apparently Cable cable doesn't and when they advertise 3 mbps, that is what you get, not up to as with xplornet. They are going to do a site survey to make sure they can deliver what they promise, it is also less expensive than xplornet and service is right out of Fenelon Falls. We'll see what they have to say after the survey.

I use my computer a lot for work and have to down load some fairly large files so I am leary of going with someone that has caps or limits. Apparently Cable cable doesn't and when they advertise 3 mbps, that is what you get, not up to as with xplornet. They are going to do a site survey to make sure they can deliver what they promise, it is also less expensive than xplornet and service is right out of Fenelon Falls. We'll see what they have to say after the survey.

Changes are in the works.....

Not sure how or if it'll affect cable users. dunno.gif

http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourcommunity/2011/07/post-67.html