Tropic Thunder - Creek Bass Opener Chaos

I got out on bass opening day to a Lake Ontario tributary to have some fun with my Rapala 6' F2 ultralight rod. This was a short 4 hour solo trip that turned out to be one of my most memorable creek bass experiences ever :) I packed really light and walked miles casting everywhere that looked good... which was almost the entire creek with the high water levels and stained water conditions. Over the 4 hours I fished, I banked about 24 smallies, mostly between 1-3lbs with some dinks and one tank about 3-pounds (that's a pig for a small creek). I also lost about 6 or 7 smallies and had many swipes and misses which was entertaining as hell.

I had several hot lures, the original Rapala Floating F7 in perch, Mepps Black Furry Exude Helgramite on a 1/4" jig head and the Mepps Thunder Bug in stonefly. It was a beautiful day out, and some spots reminded me of being in a tropic setting while having smallies smash my lures :) It was absolutely awesome watching most smallies go airborne and fight like stink on the ultralight rod! It was 4 hours of pure adrenaline-packed action that was only 5 minutes from my doorstep :)

This is a rare year for such great creek bass fishing, so get out and enjoy it! Most years the water is low and clear and the bulk of the adult smallies migrate back to Lake Ontario by the time the season opens.

One of the great things about this type of fishing, is not spending money on gas, being able to shore fish without much preperation and fishing so close to home. Also, it takes me back to when I was a young kid and first got into fishing. I was only nine years old and wanted to try fishing on my own accord. I bought a cheap rod and reel combo and 2 lures with my allowance money. I had no idea what lures to buy, and I chose a Mepps black furry and a Rapala F7 in perch. Did I ever get lucky with my lure choices back then, as I instantly smashed smallies on both of them and became a fishing freak ever since!

I didn't take many photos, but managed to snap a few of some good fish. Enjoy the pics

IMG00163-20110625-0933.jpg

IMG00155-20110625-0729.jpg

IMG00158-20110625-0841.jpg

IMG00151-20110625-0654.jpg

IMG00156-20110625-0839.jpg

This is hog's bush, stay away from this plant! It is spreading rapidly throughout SW Ontario tributaries and you will be very sorry you ever came into contact with it. It is very nasty, and I believe much worse than poison ivy or poison oak. Be very careful out there, and wear light waders and a light long sleeve shirt for protection if possible.

Hogs-Bush.jpg

Good fishing!

Aaron

Edited by Aaron Shirley

Terrific report Aaron, thank you! Really enjoyed the detail about your lure choices too.

That reminded me of one of my favourite shows you and Barry did where you hit a trib for Bass. It's an overlooked fishery and easily accessible to lots of folks.

I'm gonna give it a go myself real soon. Thanks again Aaron!

Another warning about Giant Hogweed, not only is it quite serious immediately, the sap makes the skin more susceptible to UV rays for future years. It is suggested that you need to avoid this plant altogether. I am not happy about Halton's response to this, there are large patches of it along 4th line south of Campbellville road that are allowed to go to seed every year. No spraying is done and these patches are spreading and yes, the Region knows they are there, two of them are one their poisinous plant map.

Bill

Another great report!

Good reminder of good fishing opportunities close to home.

Have done similar fishing in past.

The smallmouth bass inhabit these lower stretches of tribs when the steelhead move out.

Bass from Scarborough area trib, this time of year, caught years back.

IMG_0012-1.jpg

Thanks everyone. It something that I enjoy for sure. It's how I started fishing, and I will always enjoy it. You just have to pick your years. This year just so happens to have all the right ingredients for great trib bass fishing for mature fish. A bit of a later season start and high water levels are key. You can still get into bass in lower water in normal weather years, but mostly juvenile fish.

The other great thing is that almost every decent size trib on Lake Ontario, Lake Erie, Georgian Bay, Lake Huron etc, have a run of bass, so good local creek and river bass opportunities for many. It's such a basic way to fish and a ton of fun! I can't wait to take my son there to try it out, he'll love it!

The Hogs Weed is a very serious thing for sure, I've been lucky enough to be informed about it early and haven't had to experience my skin peeling off after touching it. It can quickly ruin a good day of fishing if you are not careful. I didn't know about the UV thing, good to know, thanks. Just another reason to steer clear away from that nasty weed!!!