Canadian prices for inflatable life vests

Tootsie II

Been thinking of buying a manual/auto inflating life jacket/vest. When looking at prices on BPS web site ( American) and comparing prices in Canada, it seems that prices in Canada are 1.5 times to twice the price of those quoted in the U.S. With the Can $ the way it is, one would think they should almost be the same. One lady at PBS says it's because the DOT requirements in Canada are so much more stringent than those of the U.S. Coast Guard who do the certification in the States. Does anyone know if this is true or are we being shafted in the pocket book like so many times in the past.

Heres another thing to think about. YOU MUST WEAR IT AT ALL TIMES. I didnt know this until I heard about it. Reason being,it,s a reaction device.Unlike regular PFD,s that float even if an accident happens.

Correct me if Im wrong.

Keep in mind US Coast Guard approved life jackets are not approved for use on a Canadian boat.

Found that out almost the hard way on a check fortunately there was only one bad jacket and we had extra.

Dan

Edited by dannyboy

I bought one from the Stearns website last year, before I went to Alaska. Least expensive price I could find. Had to have one that was approved for US waters.

US Coast guard approved jackets can be used in Canada, but you MUST have a Canada approved jacket in the boat, sized correctly for all passengers.

You are correct that they are quite a bit cheaper in the US, than in Canada.

I guess we float differently in Canadian waters? :dunno:

A lot of the price is the cost of getting it approved in Canada. Canada is a smaller population than the states, thus the cost per person is more (easiest way to describe it). A lot of companies do not approve their product because of this cost. My rescue vest is a great example. It is not approved for Canada, yet I trust my life to it. To be legal I have with me a "boy-o-Boy" I hope this works vest..

I bought 2 life jackets on sale at Canadian Tire last summer. Thought I was getting a great deal!

Turns out they weren't 'Canadian Coast Guard Approved' so they won't be accepted during an ON WATER check by the Police....

Now I know why they were on sale!

Just remember, you're talking about a life saving device. Is cost really the most important consideration?...just sayin'

Consider a high-quality auto-inflateable device to be there for you if something goes wrong on the water.

Without even going into all the reasons whey they are the best option, the most basic is that it forces you to wear it all the time to be compliant with the law. Vest or jacket style foam PFD's are typically stuffed into compartments/mesh pockets or are used for cusions...hardly helpful when the splitshot hits the fan in a hurry.

Be safe, and live to fish another day. canadian.gif