NF help making our choice please

Handlebarz

Well we are getting a laptop and I think we have it narrowed down but would like the opinion of the OFC family. I know this should be in the computer section but I would like fast help and that section moves slow.

We were looking at a ACER 15.6" screen

Intel Core I3-370M 2.4 GHZ

4GB DDR3 Memory

500 GB SATA Hard Drive

with HDMI output

Just wondering what you all think of ACER what is the big difference between I3-370 Core and a AMD Dual Core E350 APU.

The Acer was a future shop and the HP is at Staples and of course Future shop sais the HP is basically junk. Staples was closed before we could get back there tonight.

All we need it for is surfing the web uploading pictures to it and movies from my Sony HD video recorder.

Any help thanks

Mike, I have an Acer and an HP. I think I like the Acer better due to the keyboard on the HP. There is a slight variation in the keyboard that puts keys in a different spot than a normal keyboard and I've had to really struggle to get used to it after typing on a normal keyboard for more years than I'll admit to here :whistling:

Other than that, they are both about the same.

Joey

Mike, I'll build one on the Dell.ca site for ya and PM you the details and pricing. I'll base it off the specs you posted in your original thread.

You wanna let me know via PM the prices on the two you were looking at?

Dell or HP ONLY are the way to go. Sorry but as an EX Dell guy they still make a great product so I'm not preaching. I find the new AMD chips don't run that hot and cost less and my last purchase was an HP notebook with and AMD chip and it's great.

i just picked up a toshiba 15.6 laptop with the amd chip, 500gb drive and 6gb of ram from futureshop. came in at a buck under 490 taxes in. havent had enough time to comment on durability obviously but so far its a hell of a machine for the money.

ryan

Joey the wife also liked the ACRE as it had a full keyboard and I think it was the one with the number key pad

Bill I went on Dell and was lost I hit customize on one I thought was good and the site laughed at me and told me to stick to fishing stupid musky boy (Oh wait that is Jos from Angling outfitters every time I talk to him)PM sent thanks

GBW the wife is worried about Dell as she had some friends with troubles with them me I am clueless on any of these.

Dunner we looked at a toshiba but not sure which one.

Brian it could be worse she could be on a fishing site all day :whistling:

I have never owned an HP Laptop but I have had poor experiences with their desk tops.

My wife's Acer webbook has been fine. It was amusing how the manual contained a letter from one of Acer's executives thanking us for buying their product. I am not sure the person was male or female but their names was Easy Lai. :whistling:

Have you considered a Lenovo? Lenovo purchased the IBM product line.

John if we get a Acer I will look for my letter also.

Mike I know what you mean as the guy when to the back and came out telling us that there is 1 LEFT then he was shocked when we said ok and asked for a copy of the specks we said that Staples gave us a photo copy he was still confused but got it done. I guess the 1 left thing works on alot of people but with us we go with if its meant to be it will be there when and if we go back.

I have both an HP and an Acer.

They both work fine but I find myself using my HP the most.

I have done a lot of repair work in the past (used to work on the bench for Futureshop's Eastern Depot) and found that some of the Acers and Toshiba's had some issues with their screen hinges and there were a lot of issues with the Toshiba's all around.

I find the HP's seem to be a more solidly built machine than the Acer's are.

If I had to choose between the two I personally would pick the HP.

But that's just me. :D

Edited by DRIFTER_016

i have an hp laptop been very reliable for over a year now. no experience with the acer, other than liked the hps finish better. i bought at best buy, where they push the hps hard, which is interesting considering their affiliation with FS who are telling you not to buy one...

have you considered getting a mac? a lot less headaches down the road..

Yes I did that is what we run for our home computer and love it but we can not afford to get one right now and this one will be passed to our daughter for school this fall for her school work. Down the road that is what we will be getting but for now something in the $500 range is all we need.

I need some more help with what to do when we get our new Lap top home but I posted that in the computer section any more help can you guys please answer there so I am not taking up the general section thanks again for the quick help last night guys and Joey.

Mike, don't look any further than Dell...

http://www.dell.com/ca/p/inspiron-15r-combo-mod/pd?oc=ni15r_ft_2e&model_id=inspiron-15r-combo-mod#TechSpec

Same specs, $499 and a free case.

We have 3 Dell laptops in the house now; we just bought the 15R for my daughter. Excellent support and service. My wife's laptop didn't seem to be holding a charge as long as it did when we first got a few months prior. There was a new battery sent by courier the next day and they took back the old one... no shipping, no downtime, no questions asked. It's the only issue we've had.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

dell is great price wise as long as nothing goes wrong but if it does their customer service is non-existent. when i had an issue they told me it would cost 600 dollars to fix and no small shops can work on them because of the "propietary blah blah blah". obviously i can get a NEW lap top for 600 almost so i began to understand dell's racket.

My first laptop was a dell and I've had 3 toshiba's since. :whistling: No problem with 3 straight toshiba's and future shop has always honoured their warranties with me on anything else I've purchased there.

my father and sister are also sworn off dell for similar reasons...no service, and they seem to be built to break after a year or two.

IMO I wouldn't buy ACER, MDG, or any other discount computer. You get what you pay for.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Well the wife got a Acer from Staples not FS. Staples beat the deals from FS and they are so much nicer there the guy told us how to do the set up(for the wife its was easy I guess) and saved us the $149 no pressure there and great to talk with he spent 30 min or better answering our questions great service there.

Thanks for all the help guys from all the different thoughts here it seems there are lemons everywhere and no matter what we get we do get lemons so wish us luck with this one its black lets hope it stays that way I dont like yellow.

Edited by Mike P.