to all the muskie anglers

peter23

hey guys i was just wondering if anyone has fished buckhorn lake for muskie. i will be going up there to a cottage for 10 days(i go every year) and i know there are some big muskie in there. ive seen and also caught some but only on bass tacklle. i have now recently bought my calcutta 400 te and my st croic premier muskie rod and im ready to finally go after them. does anyone know any good lures to use there?any certain colours? i was also wondering if you guys fish any other kawarthas for muskie? if so what lakes? any go to lures? certain colours?

lol i know this is a long question sorry. (btw im 15 and so excited to start muskie fishing) :)

thanks!

Your starting off well with that 400TE, it's a great reel.

Spool it up with some heavy braided line at least 65#, a good fluro leader and some quality snaps and your all set.

Large black spinnerbaits with orange blades worked thru the cabbage are one of my go-to lures but alot of other colors work well too. A couple larger sized bucktails run over top of the weeds will also put some fish in your boat.

If your gonna target muskies, be sure to use a large net with rubber coated mesh to protect the fish and have a quality bolt cutter and LONG needle nosed pliers.

Their a nasty fish in the net so be VERY careful when your removing or cutting the hooks.

Keep your hooks sharp and have fun on your vacation. :Gonefishing:

Like Lew said large Profile Bucktails or spinner baits work amazing up in that area as well as most any place you find musky.

To get away from them look at sledges strawberry has been a good color on them bodies of water or one with lots of black in it.

Dont forget that top water lures can be heart stopping when a strike occurs.

You might also want to get some bolt cutters just in case the hooks need to be cut out.

To get away from them look at sledges strawberry has been a good color on them bodies of water

Your absolutely right Mike, the strawberry Sledge along with a black/yellow Double D are 2 of my most consistant producers every year, and not just in the K-Lakes either.

Cnv0188.jpg

Your absolutely right Mike, the strawberry Sledge along with a black/yellow Double D are 2 of my most consistant producers every year, and not just in the K-Lakes either.

Cnv0188.jpg

Lew, or anyone else for that matter, does anyone know where you can buy the strawberry Sledge? I heard they discontinued the color and someone has removed mine from my box and never returned it :angry:

I'll go almost anywhere in Ontario if you can tell me where. I know the boys at JB's don't have it, last time I checked Stacy didn't have it at ProTackle, none of the smaller guys seem to have it either.

Thanks,

Mike

Wish I could help you Mike, but if Brian & Stacey no longer have them you could try BPS . They don't carry much of a selection of musky stuff but they do carry Sledges but I don't know about the strawberry.

There's a small tackle shop near P'Boro that may carry them and I'll be heading down that way in the next week or so and if they have it I'll grab one and send it to you.

I fish with Sledges alot Paul, do very well with them and have several different colors, but none of them produce like the strawberry. Don't know why but that color just seems to attract them.

It's also a popular color for tolling for muskies on the Niagara too.

Break out the spray bombs and paint your own, seems to me that sledges will sell unpainted blanks if my memory serves me correct, George Unis aka woodie will likely paint them up if you want that color,

Yep it works and sometimes you just need on be creative when on a fishing trip and they want a color.Thank Goodness for CTC and spray bombs

IMG_5539.jpg

IMG_5558.jpg

IMG_5557.jpg

....been carrying a strawberry sledge for years but it almost never sees the water...sounds like I need to revist it! I've had good luck in Kawarthas with sledges in more brown/yellow tones

That's actually pretty funny Roger cause I usually get 30 or 40 fish a year with my strawberry but have never got even as much as a sniff with my yellow & brown.

Wanna trade before my strawberry is completely wore out and I can't find a replacement :lol::lol: ??

You might also want to get some bolt cutters just in case the hooks need to be cut out.

go check your local Lowes and pick up a set of Knipix cutters. they can cut through a 2.5" nail like butter.

http://www.sledgehammerlure.com/dealers.php

According to their website these guys might have some.

Ontario Pro Tackle

70 Rapids Rd. R.R. #1

Thomasburg, Ontario, Canada K0K 3H0

PH: 613-473-2988

Toll Free. 1-888-442-7456

Email: [email protected]

Angler's Pro Shop

312 Broadway

Orangeville, Ont. CA L9w 1L3

PH: 519-941-4218

Email: [email protected]

Kawartha Lakes

Bait & Tackle

10 Queen St.

Lindsay, Ontario, CA K9V 1E9

PH: 705-878-3474

Probably wouldn't hurt to call and ask.

Seeing that your 15 yrs. old i would assume your just beginning this musky journey.Lots of great advice here for you to follow here. Having a net and learning proper landing and releasing techniques is super important. That Calcutta/St.Croix combo should be great with the 65lb braid that is recommended.

I fish nearby Pigeon Lake for muskies and started fishing muskies when about your age.

Started off fishing a chartreuse Rapala J-13 along a 12-18 ft extensive weedline and catching muskies which was tons of fun. A few years later started using a Perch Super Shad and did even better. The muskies in that area love this lure. This lure i still use after over 20 years. Still runs true.

IMG_0690-1.jpg

Using a silver bladed black Mepps Musky Killer or orange bladed black musky spinnerbait are productive choices as well.

Buckhorn Lake should be receptive. :Gonefishing:

That's actually pretty funny Roger cause I usually get 30 or 40 fish a year with my strawberry but have never got even as much as a sniff with my yellow & brown.

Wanna trade before my strawberry is completely wore out and I can't find a replacement :lol: :lol: ?

...you should have asked for the trade before you told me you your success rate! I'm definitely going to retire the brown/yellow and give the strawberry some swim time! Just never thought "rainbow trout" as forage for the kawarthas! Shows what I know.

Wish I could help you Mike, but if Brian & Stacey no longer have them you could try BPS . They don't carry much of a selection of musky stuff but they do carry Sledges but I don't know about the strawberry.

There's a small tackle shop near P'Boro that may carry them and I'll be heading down that way in the next week or so and if they have it I'll grab one and send it to you.

That would be amazing Lew. If you find one, shoot me a PM and we will work out the details. I can even pick it up. The wife and I are due for a day trip. We are only about 2 hours from you.

You may be outta luck with the Sledge Mike, I just phoned the shop near P'Boro where I've bought them before but he says his supplier told him their no longer available.

Maybe try LeB's in Markham, Tightlines in Pickering or the store in Hamilton....is it Fishing World ??

I know they all carry a limited supply of musky baits.