A little Bass Teaser for you and me...

Lionized

After a morning of chasing Brookies and nearly being stuck for good up to my waist in mud. I made

my way to the Lake where the river flows. A lake where there are no fish to catch! Chucked my new

fav #2 silver mepps and landed a good dozen perchies before I nailed this sucker! Yes a couple days

early, but whats a fisherman to do. : ) My PB Largemouth, so I needed a pic!

I practice catch and release as it is. Hopefully you do as well.

T-minus 12hrs and counting. I think I am going to take the oldman out tomorrow and top some top waters before the sun comes up.

Should be a great day!

Me to aswell Bill. Leaving in a couple of hours to fish with my pop for the weekend.Bass,walleye and pike. :Gonefishing:

Have a good one.

I too caught my PB largie a few weeks ago, I took a quick pic of it and then released it. It happens...you can't control it when several species share the same waters. Nothing wrong with a picture or two, IMO..but then again, I am very uneducated on the topic!

248423_10150277275106133_500496132_9606556_7175985_n.jpg

edit* Sorry for the hijack. Can't wait to get out there tomorrow and catch these guys legally!

Edited by d_paluch

I see nothing wrong with taking a photo of a healthy OOS fish

is it a PB...well legally no, but if it's the biggest you caught then for yourself..OK..

but the RULES on this website has it stated that they don't want you to post photos of OOS fish

and this is basically a thread about an OOS fish with photo, so I would think, not too many Brownie points make here today, IMHO

@ msp: Did he catch it? How wouldn't it be a personal best?

I too caught my PB largie a few weeks ago, I took a quick pic of it and then released it. It happens...you can't control it when several species share the same waters. Nothing wrong with a picture or two, IMO

I agree on catching OOS fish when fishing for other species, but counting a OOS fish as a PB doesn't make much sense now does it :)

Edited by BillM

For the sake of passing the info, and to clarify for myself (perhaps someone can verify or refute my info) the reason we are not supposed to fish out of season is that the Bass are protecting their nests/young. So when you do accidently catch one, it is important to get them back in the water ASAP before the Sunfish, Perch etc decimate their offspring.

That is what I have been taught and if true would be a pretty strong argument against a picture or two. Not to stress anyone, but just to point out that there is a valid reason for the rule, and it is not just a matter of "oh well I always catch & release so no harm done"

Looking forward to opener tomorrow. Got a good feeling about this year!!

not totally true

for a very short time they are protecting there young and if you take them off their bed the young will be part if the food chain

but for the rest of the out of season time the fish are in great shape and catching them doesn't hurt them....but still illegal in many places in Ontario...

so for 2 weeks of the 5 month period your statement is correct, the 4 month and 2 weeks you are not correct

and some will argue that the sunfish and others that want to eat the young of the year will consume the same amount, one here and one there till they are full or all in the nest if unguarded, but at the end of the day the numbers are about the same, and this is one of the reasons fishing during spawning doesn't hurt them in many States...

Edited by Terry

not totally true

for a very short time they are protecting there young and if you take them off their bed the young will be part if the food chain

but for the rest of the out of season time the fish are in great shape and catching them doesn't hurt them....but still illegal in many places in Ontario...

so for 2 weeks of the 5 month period your statement is correct, the 4 month and 2 weeks you are not correct

and some will argue that the sunfish and others that want to eat the young of the year will consume the same amount, one here and one there till they are full or all in the nest if unguarded, but at the end of the day the numbers are about the same, and this is one of the reasons fishing during spawning doesn't hurt them in many States...

This man speaks the truth.

I wonder how many people preaching the opposite were out chasing spawning pike this spring in fmz 17, or are aware that many northern states have a catch and release spring bass season and are seeing the best fishing ever on record. :rolleyes:

Good to know Terry!

Recommend that I take that photo down? I don't want to break the rules, sorry everyone!

Like I said, I personally don't have a problem of someone who take a photo of OOS fish

and I have no association with this site other then an active member, I just always voice my opinion... a lot ..:rofl2:

Good to know Terry!

Recommend that I take that photo down? I don't want to break the rules, sorry everyone!

It's a few days before opener, not a big deal. Now the middle of May or something and it probably would have been a little worse, lol.

I've been catching bass out in the middle of weed beds and off the drops for the past 2 weeks or so while fishing for pike. Definitely off the beds and on the feed.