Dipsy Diver Question

OutdoorDan

Hi all,

So I got my new boat: I decided on the Starcraft 196 Fishmaster. I've already gone out for short trips a couple of times, but have still to catch a fish, will post pics when I finally do!

So it's not time to slowly start getting all the proper equipment. I got a couple of dipsy divers as well as proper trolling rods for them with counter reels. However the charts for the dipsy divers are all for 20lb mono, I'm using 50lb Power Pro. Is there a factor I can multiply the depth by that will reflect the difference in depth due to line diameter? For example if the dipsy diver gets down to 50 feet with 20lb mono and 75 feet with braid, then that factor is 1.5.

I'm sure those with experience can chime in.

Thanks!

Dan.

I'm not sure of the factor, but I reckon it's not that high. I switched from mono to braid, and then to wire all in the course of one season. I don't remember the figures, but what I would do is choose a relatively shallow depth and slowly drop the dipsy down until you begin tapping off bottom. Comparing the number on the counter to the number on the chart at a few different depths should give you a good idea.

Do what Joey said or get one of the bibles like "Keating on Kings" There is more to it than line diameter, like speed and if you have adjusted to run to the side more you'll lose depth too. BTW congrats on the 196 Fishmaster, serious blue water tinner :thumbsup_anim:

buy the precision trolling book...

it has dive curves for different lines and diving devices...

Big water that is. The trolling bible just has dive curve charts for crank baits. The Big water has the specs on dipseys and others.

Yes, I am. Since line capacity wasn't an issue I figured it would not hurt to go 50lb instead of 30lb or whatever.

Just be careful of the no-stretch on the braid.. I would suggest the rubber "lines". When a king hits if the line is too tight it won't break but the hooks might bend.

mono has the stretch to withstand a good hit.

My only concern with the 50# is the cost, and if there is an issue you better have a knife ready to cut if needed..

Nothing worse than getting hooked on bottom and the darn line won't break.

Have fun and good luck

Keep the drags just tight enough so the line stops creeping while you troll forward, no need for snubbers. A snubber is just a little more forgiving in case you forget to back off the drag.

As for depth, 30 lb wire gets you approx 3 to 1 ratio @ 2.3 mph (90' out = 30' down) That’s just an approx reference point and varies with speed, current etc.

find out the dia of 30 lb 7 strand SS wire and do your math with the braid.

Braid is going to be a mess once the fleas start.