Using a short shaft motor

atvaholic

Hi, would it be possible to use a short shaft motor on my 12 foot zodiac? The manual recomends a 35 HP longshaft. I am looking a very small trolling motor 2 horsepower, 2 stroke. Since this would never get up on plane, would this be ok to use? I understand this wont go too fast, just want it for trolling around some small lakes.

just make sure the water intake area on the shaft is submerged and that the boat is "peeing". Somtimes at slow speeds when the engine sits lower in the water it will be fine, but as you get up on a plane you might melt it if the engine can't suck up water to cool itself

just make sure the water intake area on the shaft is submerged and that the boat is "peeing". Somtimes at slow speeds when the engine sits lower in the water it will be fine, but as you get up on a plane you might melt it if the engine can't suck up water to cool itself

:rofl2: I really don't think he's going t get it up on plane with a 2HP motor. :w00t:

Honestly, if it was was a long shaft and you're not in a hurry to cross the pond, fine, but you'd get about as much speed from a portable Sunbeam mixmaster with a short shaft. The prop is not sitting low enough in the water to get a clean bite, it's just thrashing water around behind the transom.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Glen. I hope I can break the 5MPH speed record with it..well see!

Hey guys, I tried this out last weekend and it worked just fine. I had to open it up to 3/4 or full throttle to get any speed out of it. I manages to get about 5mp or so with me, the wife and 2 little ones in the inflatable. There was a little chop on the water, so this did ok.

1 weird thing that happened. I was cruising at full throttle, then without warning, the motor just stalled. It took me a few pulls to get it started. I was scared to open it up again, as we wer far from shore and didnt want to get us stranded.

Anything I should check? Any reason why this might have happened?