Lund fuel gauge problem

My new Lund has a fuel gauge problem. I never noticed it the first time I filled up as the fuel gauge registered full as expected. I ran it for a few hours to break in the new motor and it remained on "full" and I thought 'wow' this is going to be good gas mileage. After several days of fishing and running the motor for about 70 miles, I noticed the gauge would always register 'near full' when running down the lake even when properly trimmed. If I shut the engine off and just turn the key to 'ignition' the gauge registers about 1/3 full as expected. If I then start up, the gauge moves significantly up or down depending if a person walks to the front or back of the boat. I expect some movement, but not that much. Even with half a tank, when I hit the throttle, the gauge goes to near full and stays there. For my last fishing trip, I used 56 liters of a 72 liter tank and it registered almost empty with just the ignition key. The dealership mechanic never heard of such a problem and thought it might be an electrical problem. I have checked the electrical connections and even looked at another new Lund of same model to make sure the wires were hooked up correctly. I have never seen such an erratic reading with any boat I have owned. I suspect it it an electrical problem (but the gauge does move) or a float problem in the tank. ANY THOUGHTS OR SUGGESTIONS? I am trying to avoid driving 200 miles to the dealership.

Pull the float and rehook it up outside of the tank.Measure the resistance on the unit at full tank and empty tank and compare the readings with the factory manual readings. Then short out the wire to ground and see if the gauge goes to full. If it all checks out it seems you might have the float cockeyed in the tank make sure it is facing correctly and the linkage is not fouling with the side of the tank. Remove the grounded point or wire and clean with a metal brush. Reinstall and coat with battery corrosion sealer from the parts store.

Art

Funny...I have a similar problem with my lund (2008 rebel ss 1625) since I got it. My fuel gauge is always pointing at full until the tank is near empty, then the gauge bounces up and down. I thought that is just how it works...lol.

Here's my fix: if the fuel gauge is moving, then that means it's time to fill up. :)

Thank you for making me realize that there might actually be something wrong with my boat.

Mine is all over the place too. Just the way they be methinks... it's same as a buddies too. Tilt of the boat to the bow or stern will play on how much fuel the gauge reads. Good way to know what's actually in your tank... have the boat level on the trailer and read the quage. Now ya got me wondering though Guido... :blink:

I'm having issues with my Lund fuel guage as well. Last year it started working intermittently then died.

When I engage the main power switch the indicator needle drops slightly (showing it has power) but regardless of how much fuel is in the tank it always reads empty! Very frustrating!

I also thought that my boat was great on fuel, anytime I'm running on the lake I have a full tank. When I stop and turn the key it tells me the actual fuel level. Kinda bugs me, but I thought that's the way it worked. Guess I'll have to pull the float aswell. Good info!

HMMMM, there must be something wrong with the guage on my boat as it actually gives a good indication of fuel level when running or standing still. :unsure:

Granted it does move a little bit under acceleration but it doesn't say full until you stop and then drop drastically like everyone here is saying is happening on their boats. Where are the tanks located in your Lunds? What are the tanks shaped like? And what is their orientation?

In my boat the tank is located a mid ships is rectangular in shape and runs from port to starboard. The sender is in the top middle of the tank. With the tank going crosswise across the boat the fuel can't really move that far, where if the tank was lenghwise and the sender close to the back of the tank all the fuel will stack up in the back of the tank giving you a false full reading. IMHO

Guest gbfisher

My guage is digital....aren't yours as well? :dunno:

It's worked fine since 04. Holds 80 us gals and the only time it moves around is when I stop the boat or accelerate... :D or when there are 5 people at the back trying to see a fish before it goes in the net. I have never used my reserve or do I ever plan to. :blink:

Normally I wouldn't worry about fuel as I fill up after each trip, but this last time I was out for 4 days and the trip log read I had gone 170 km. On "ignition" the reading was almost empty, but showed 1/4 when running. Turned out I used 56 of 72 liters upon fill up. I did get a reply from the dealership mechanic. Here is his email: "I talked to you last week. I must of miss understood. because what your describing to me in this e-mail sound normal. you should only be reading the gas gauge sitting still in the water. the tank is about 6" thick and 4' long. so 5 gals of gas speed out along the bottom of the tank. and 5 gals of gas at the back or front of the tank will read different." Remember, I'm using liters and the mechanic is using US gallons. I understand the dynamics of the shape of the tank and the float is located at the back end of the tank. I have not pulled it yet. I'll try one more tank full. I did however, email Lund with the details of my concern and requested a reply. I'll keep everyone posted.

the correct reading on a linear tank is only while sitting still. The tanks in the Ranger are rectangular but are from right to left not front to back. They read left and right turns as fuller or emptier.

Art

Pull the float and rehook it up outside of the tank.Measure the resistance on the unit at full tank and empty tank and compare the readings with the factory manual readings. Then short out the wire to ground and see if the gauge goes to full. If it all checks out it seems you might have the float cockeyed in the tank make sure it is facing correctly and the linkage is not fouling with the side of the tank. Remove the grounded point or wire and clean with a metal brush. Reinstall and coat with battery corrosion sealer from the parts store.

Art

Chris by cleaning the ground wire on the tank you issue should be fixed if not then do the other tests and call me I will help you solve the problem

Art