The Boat Just Reeks Of Fish.

Moosebunk

Released myself from the spring reporting midway through the season.

Spring11-080a.jpg

If wanting to catch up though here's the earlier link...

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=53938

May had been fun and full with crappie and gar plus the odd trout adventure but, late month and into June held promise for even more.

Giving up the crappie, the last 3 weeks has just been all about lakers and gar. It's such a quick and strange transformation when thinking back to two years ago and how every May long weekend and early June was prime time Moose River fishing for pike, eyes and searuns. The head would be totally wrapped up in water levels, tide time-tables, trapping minnows, tying bucktails, pre-preparing meals, and making long journeys upriver to camp out. Now it's Accuweather, sun and wind, scheduling, and who's got what days off midweek.

Opening day of laker fishing here in the valley May 28th, I invited my friend Patty out for just a quick morning fish. Reports by end of the weekend were that lots of small fish were being caught, so we guessed ourselves lucky while fishing the busy weekend, to both pick up some decent numbers and a few fish with size.

Spring11-081a.jpg

Spring11-082a.jpg

Next outing was something special and it deserved it's own report. My dad joined me for a day of gar fishing and was rewarded with a first fish caught that was worthy of the record books. It was awesome, and that report is here for any who missed it...

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=54100

Spring11-084.jpg

Wasn't long after, there was a need for more of the longnose. The first time in almost two years it was decided I'd leave all other rod and reel temptations at home and try something new, with something old.

Spring11-087.jpg

It was a struggle for the first couple hours honestly. Anything the line could get caught on, it would. Gar were seeing my white flailing arms waving from afar and often spooking quick into the abyss. After a few hours practice though, I got into a little bit of a rhythm and pattern that worked, and so the day finished with a number of gar caught on the fly. It was pretty cool... and, it's a tool to have that could come in handy at times.

Spring11-086.jpg

Spring11-088.jpg

Spring11-083.jpg

Lakers on the Saturday, then gar twice midweek, June was here and the first weekend in Patty and I again took another short morning crack at the lakers. My partner who surely knows the ways of the grey trout had the hot stick, but after catching this beauty early on, the numbers of smaller fish didn't get any click & flash love. First weekend was lucky, to do it twice in a row... maybe I was onto something...?

Spring11-089.jpg

Later that evening at home I opened an email which bummed me right out, so come morning I was quick to phone a couple of buddies and arrange therapy in fishing again for sunday and monday.

Spent the day with the kiddies and next evening slipped out for 3 1/2 hours to fish musky with my buddy SM05. Other than bumping the skeg into stumps twice while on the troll, the big fish eluded us. It was great catching up with Mike though, and I'm looking forward to a couple of his future trip reports this summer.

Monday was forecasted to be a perfect gar day, so we instead chose lakers for the morning and eyes for the evening, with a BBQ at my place inbetween. Slop and ole FLOATY were my company in The Bomber, and despite the rubber hooks and tough fishing bite on both fronts, we were rewarded with a little of everything fishy, and a tonne of good time. I loved this biggy sunny too, but not nearly as much as the yahoos I spent the day with...

Spring11-091.jpg

Spring11-092.jpg

Later in the week Pat and I attempted round three with the lakers. As luck wouldn't have it, the bite was tough and only mini-trout to eater sizes made it up boatside. Cold front coming in for that night, unstable weather the couple days before... I know, no excuses wuss!

High sun and morning low of 9C, the kiddies on the bus for school while Pat waited in the drive, it was gar time. The fish were slower to wake up and surface temps in some places were 11-12C colder than when last on the chase, it took the sun warming the day, before the gar would come out to play. Once they did though, the fishing was pretty sick and some true giants just barely eluded us.

Spring11-093.jpg

Spring11-095b.jpg

This thing called work got in the way for the next while. Leah's French play at school (tres tres bon babygirl) plus, some needed truck repairs were also inked in the schedule. It wasn't until finally end of this week that Pat and I again put in a day for gar and an evening for muskie. Was hoping that either could end the spring season with a really big toothy ski, but after two big blow-ups and sightings on the cast, and one boil on the troll, the fish just couldn't find the hooks. Only pike. The gar on the other hand co-operated as always, although they're becoming trickier to fish as the summer comes on.

Spring11-097.jpg

Spring11-096.jpg

Spring11-098.jpg

That'll be all for spring. That's it for gar ti'll next year too I think, but lakers will certainly again see me on a couple of summer trips ahead. Kiddies out of school it'll be bass with them around home, and muskie, and maybe a salmon run. This next season it has ironically fallen into place as well, that I will relive the summer of 2008 all over again, with many of the same players involved in the three trips planned. It's funny, but it would seem the years since then so much has changed, but, so much hasn't. Stoked doesn't even describe what's ahead.

Want to thank my friends and my dad who share time in the Lund. Always my pleasure.