Ice Fishing - the amazing Final Days!-pics

Slayingm

Got to be my favourite time of the year to get out as most often we are the only ones on a given lake (other then a few deer!) :thumbsup_anim: The bonus is that with the melting shores and increased temps the fishing action seems to pick up considerably. :Gonefishing:

The past couple of weeks have seen us on many different lakes in the Haliburton and Bancroft regions with some beautiful fish being caught. Here is a great combo catch from last week of some Laker's and Silver (Kingscote) trout. These fish were taken on minnow-tipped spoons in 18 to 53ft.

Mar07Laker-silvercombo.jpg

Mar07SpoonfedLaker.jpg

Also managed to get in some evening last ice Walleye trips and were rewarded with some nice fish like this one.

Mar07HaliWalleye.jpg

The past week I have been able to get the Argo way back into some remote Splake and Brookie lakes and had a great time. Small Jigging Raps, Minnows and worms along with some small spoons all got some nice fish. All the fish were taken in less then 10' of water focussing on points and shorelines with lots of downed trees. Attached are a couple of pics from the last trip including a beauti 3lb+ fish I caught.

Mar07Brookie.jpg

Mar07Brookie1.jpg

Already started to put all the ice fishing gear away for next year and look forward to getting out the bassboat towards the end of the month to chase Crappie and some Jumbo Perch before the Walleye season opens!.... man... you just got to love Ontario and all the fishing opportunities it presents!

Hope you all had a safe winter season and the very best of luck to each of you this upcoming 'soft-water' season!

Go get'm..... Greg.

Edited by Slayingm

Nice work Greg. I always said the best time for catching fish was first ice and then again in the spring when the water was running down into the holes as it was melting. I remember planking the shores to get out to ice for fishing, back when I was younger and alot more energitic. I all ready put the gear away last week and just waiting for open water now.

Thanks for the pics and report.

Mike

Wow...nice haul there! I went ice fishing two times this past winter (my first two times actually), and was thoroughly skunked. It's great to see reports like this....keeps the door open for me to try again next year.

ccmtcanada: Congrats on your 1st ice fishing experience.... it will only get better for here!!... good luck next year!!...G.

Fishndevil: Right on man..... Kudo's all around for Ontario's World-class fishery!!!

b2kptbo: Best of luck on your spring Perch'n.... it won't be long now!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Smokey: I can relate to the planking thing..... have also walked out on downed trees along the shore to get onto safer ice.... we are a crazy bunch hey!

ecmilley: Don't procrastinate.... get out there next year for sure.... you won't know what you are missing until you experience it!...... good luck G.