Propane question (nf)

Hey guys, I just have a question about the disposible propane cylinders.

I just bought a table top propane heater for my deck. I used it for a couple hours and noticed that the propane cylinder was wet...actually it looked like condensation. Is this normal? I've never used the disposible propane tanks before so i have no idea

Thanks

As you use the propane, the pressure in the cylinder drops. This drop in pressure causes a corresponding drop in temperature of the remaining liquid in the cylinder. Propane is a refrigerant (R-290) and like all refrigerants, they have temperature / pressure relationships. As the pressure drops, the remaining liquid temperature drops below the "Dew Point" and any moisture in the surrounding air condenses on the cold cylinder walls. If the temperature drops low enough, frost will form. Once you stop using the propane cylinder, it will pick up heat from the surrounding air and the frost will melt. Any condensate remaining will be re-absorbed into the air or n other words, dry up!

Heat always flows from high to low, so the heat surrounding the cylinder will flow towards the cooler cylinder.

It's all good, and normal!

As you use the propane, the pressure in the cylinder drops. This drop in pressure causes a corresponding drop in temperature of the remaining liquid in the cylinder. Propane is a refrigerant (R-290) and like all refrigerants, they have temperature / pressure relationships. As the pressure drops, the remaining liquid temperature drops below the "Dew Point" and any moisture in the surrounding air condenses on the cold cylinder walls. If the temperature drops low enough, frost will form. Once you stop using the propane cylinder, it will pick up heat from the surrounding air and the frost will melt. Any condensate remaining will be re-absorbed into the air or n other words, dry up!

Heat always flows from high to low, so the heat surrounding the cylinder will flow towards the cooler cylinder.

It's all good, and normal!

Dude you should like check out being one of those guy's that work on air conditioning and stuff you would like be killer at it. :w00t:

I had forgotten that propane was a refrigerant I guess I have been out of the HVAC school to long.

Art

Just a little expansion on the physics.

Whenever a substance changes states to or from a solid, liquid or gas either it absorbs or gives off heat.

When water freezes it gives off heat. When water turns to steam it absorbs heat.

When the propane changes from liquid to vapour inside the can it absorbs heat in the process. This turns the cylinder cold.

This law of physics is how sweating cools the body. As the sweat evaporates it cools from the change of state.