gaz shelf life

darsky

Well I wouldn't use old gas on anything I own that I like, but I have my old mower I've been wanting to replace and it just keeps running no matter what. I've used the gas from the season before in it and I've also put old gas from a gerry can, that had at least 6 month old gas in it, and it still starts right up.

So all I can attest to is 6 month old gas works in a lawnmower :)

it STARTS to deterioate in about 30 days. Doesn't mean it won't still work though. Depending on what it is stored in, how much gas was in the container, was it well sealed..... there are several factors that affect it. Best bet though is to just use a good fuel stabilizer, then it should keep for up to 2 years.

Dang and the merc dealer here said it will be bad in 15 days so I need to buy this bottle from him to save the gas and he would give it to me for $14.99+ tax WOW I thought that is a deal.

I like the 30 days idea and I always use stabil marine stabilizer in each tank. If the gas is stilling for a couple moths or longer I will top it up with mid or super just to give a little more octane not sure if it helps by it helps my mind and yes I put some more stabil in there at that time.

I ask because while I was salvaging my 9.9 after a dunking (don't ask - I am too embarassed to say how) I look over to see the gas tank floating upside down in the lake still attached via the hose ... almost certain its got water in the tank along with the gas now ... (btw motor is running fine with brand new tank and fresh gas)

And whats the 'Proper' way to dispose of bad gas ?

Best way is to take it to a local service station, they will have a tank for waste oil and gas. If it is one that you deal with for service work they will usually just dump it into their tank for you. They have a company that comes and hauls it away for them.

If it didn't have water in it, I would just pour it into my car tank, the small amount that you would be adding diluted with a full tank of fresh gas won't hurt your engine at all. You can even do this with gas/oil mix.

At my trailer park all the yuppies were afraid to use the remaining gas for outboards,weed eaters,lawn mowers and what ever in their fancy cars so they gave to me to put in my old truck.As long as there was no water in it the old girl didn't give rats ass it just purred home on a free tank of gas.330000 km on the same converter says 50/1 oil mix won't hurt once in awhile.

vance

I ask because while I was salvaging my 9.9 after a dunking (don't ask - I am too embarassed to say how) I look over to see the gas tank floating upside down in the lake still attached via the hose ... almost certain its got water in the tank along with the gas now ... (btw motor is running fine with brand new tank and fresh gas)

Oh do tell!!! :clapping:

At my trailer park all the yuppies were afraid to use the remaining gas for outboards,weed eaters,lawn mowers and what ever in their fancy cars so they gave to me to put in my old truck.As long as there was no water in it the old girl didn't give rats ass it just purred home on a free tank of gas.330000 km on the same converter says 50/1 oil mix won't hurt once in awhile.

vance

I'm probably the worst offender for treating my gas. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. My off season is 8 months long to boot. Probably longer than most of you. I've never, ever had a problem with old gas. Not with my boat, or my lawn mower or my snow blower. And I've had 30 years experience with this. Sure, you should treat it if you remember too. But don't think that it's the end of the world if you don't. Last week I found 5 gallons of gas in my shed that I can't even begin to guess how old it was. 5 years?? maybe more?? I poured it into my truck with the gas that I already had in there. I've long since burned it off and am back on new gas again. I'm sure that gas breaks down over time, but baby sitting your old gas is an over rated problem IMHO. Just use it.

ok ... so its was like this ...

Just minutes before closing up the cottage and heading for home last week don't I wander down to the dock for one last look at my handy-work on re-sealing the leaky rivets in the old tinner ... well isnt there a bucket full of water in the bottom of the boat ... so I figure .. what the heck I'll just drag her up onto shore half way ... sponge her dry and put a dab of plummers goop on the offending rivet (always works - but only for the season) .. anyway did that without too much trouble hanging out from the dock to do the work. (Of course I had the motor tilted up to drag it up on shore. I realized that the transom was only a couple of inches above the water line and figured the first yahoo waterskiing by the shore would surely swamp her while I was away so I figured I would try letting the motor back down and get at least an extra inch or two of draft ... heh ... not likely she was sitting even lower in the water (still not sure how that could be) ... anyhow I figured I better lift the motor back up ... and .. well ... hanging out from the dock reaching ... trying to lift the motor .. I realized that my extra weight on the back of the boat was a problem ... and as I tried to push myself off the boat to get back onto the dock she started taking on water ... I immediately stripped and dove in .. grabbed the back end of the boat to try and keep it above the waterline - to no avail already 500 gallons of water in the boat and I was not quite able to step on bottom ... next thing I know the whole back end is under ... right under and I am trying to hold it up and bail while swimming ... simply doesnt work ... gas tank floating away .. me worrying about the motor being dunked.

Long story short(er) I didnt get it started but did manage to get it drained (pulled the plugs, turned it over by hand to flush the cylinders, sprayed WD40 inside and then sea foam everywhere I could get at and left it to dry) .. came back up a couple days later to deal with it and luckily it started right up... but was bogging down at wide open throttle... either water in the gas or something worse... I had brought up a brand new tank with fresh gas just in case .. and that did the trick (luckily).