Great Job by the MNR Enforcement Team

It nice to see some fines being handed out. Conservation through enforcement is the answer.

Here is a link to the MNR website with a bunch of other charges that have been handed out.

http://www.mnr.gov.o...L02_164545.html

There are some good ones!

$1 000 for a having a spawning walleye

$6 000 and loss of license for over limit on rainbow and salmon

$50 000 for importing Asian Carp

Edited by Homer Is King

I was thinking the same thing. I think I might have even been there that day. I'm going to check my log and see for sure. There were 3 guys, and they kept every fish that came over the gunnels. I left a detailed message with detailed discriptions of people, boat and where they launched on an answering machine. I remember being upset that i couldn`t get thru to a real person.....maybe it did work??

The sad thing is, they were right back there the very next day, and every other time i fished up there!!!!! I guess its worth it when they sell for $8.99/lb!!

EDIT: Just checked, I called on the 13th and 14th. I hope it was the same, ignorant, pathetic guys I called on that got nailed. Looks good on them. They deserve a lot more than what they got too. Shouldn`t be allowed to fish in this country again. These guys blatently sat there and poached fish in front of a crowd of people, who were telling them it was illegal to do what they were doing, and told them what the limit was. They just didn`t give a rats ass. Then to see the same goofs there the next day, doing the exact same thing, in front of a crowd of anglers AGAIN!! Man, I can`t even say what i wanted to do!!! Its quite clear they don`t care, they were back there fishing on the 16th!! Shouldn`t have a license ever again IMO!!!!

S.

Back on the water. I can't believe people. That's so sad, no wonder there is a problem with fish numbers.

This stuff drives me crazy, but I'm glad at least someone had to pay some fines.

The court heard that on April 15, 2011, a Ministry of Natural Resources conservation officer inspected the anglers as they were leaving Sturgeon Lake, just north of the town of Lindsay, after a day of fishing. The officer was following up on a call to the MNR TIPS line.

Finally evidence that a call to MNR TIPS line is followed up. Have heard too often of people calling and there being no response. Think that the offenders have to be quite blatant for anything to be done.

Go to Caledonia or Cayuga before the walleye season opens and you'll see lots of them taken home....There's no particular race doing it...just a bunch of guys who poach and seem to get away with it......I still don't have much faith in the CO's ability to police the huge areas they have with such small budgets...More political pressure is needed....Government workers keep growing in numbers except at the MNR, which is shrinking....

I don't really buy the whole low budget thing. Stand by a creek in October > Fine 15 snaggers > Get money > Make more enforcement. Rinse and repeat. It's not hard. A CO could easily accumulate over $1000 every day in fines just by giving out 200$ snagging tickets in the fall. But they don't. They are not stupid, it's obvious where to go. I think it's just a general flaw of approach/mentality in the MNR, possibly the approach that there are "bigger things to deal with".

Edited by OutdoorDan

Doesn't matter what nationality the poachers are.

I'm just glad they got caught.

I hope they lose their fishing licenses permanently if they get caught again, which I doubt will take long. Guys like this don't learn their lesson easily.

They have nerve going out there the next day and doing the same thing.

The fines levied by the CO's goes to the province as general revenue, not to the MNR....They have limits on how far they can travel and with the offices spaced so far apart, they patrol the hotspots nearest to the home base......

The fines levied by the CO's goes to the province as general revenue, not to the MNR....They have limits on how far they can travel and with the offices spaced so far apart, they patrol the hotspots nearest to the home base......

Increased fines and enforcement from the MNR would increase non tax-based revenue for the province.... we really need a fisherman in politics.

Should have been $900 per fish over the limit, then they'd think twice. Good work MNR. Great to know the tips line is being followed through on.

Also very good to hear that we've got some good OFNers looking out for our waters. The MNR can't be everywhere so we need to keep helping them out.