Fenwick rods?

I have a couple of the GT models I think. The IM6 graphite version at the lower end of Fenwick cost. I find the rods very sensitive however I have broke each rod. One split near the joint where the 2 piece connect and the second the tip broke (with fish on, think the line twisted around it or something?). Anyway Pure Fishing replaced them no questions asked. However I think that they might not be as durable as other rods on the market.

I love fenwick have at least 5 fenwicks I can think of, but I agree the Canadian series I bought was the worst ever ( got the 7' med casting rod). No kidding I broke it the first month while fighting a 3lbs small mouth snapped a third of the way down, they did replace it no questions asked. I got the heavy action on the replacement rod because the med felt more like a light action and it obviously wasn't tough enough.

I guess being the Canadian series means Canadians want crap quality for a little cheaper. :lol: ya right I expected it to be better if anything but the graphite on them is real brittle. Maybe I just got a dud ? hope so.

I fished a bass tourny last year here in Niagara and the guy I got paired up with had a Fenwick and he let me use it. I found the rod to be awsome....not sure what model but I picked up alot of hits. I bet I caught close to 50 bass that day. So I would say congrats...LOL

I purchased the musky rod in that line of rods last year and haven't had any problems with it throwing bucktails and smaller baits. I picked up a few larger baits this year and we'll see how it goes. So far, so good for an economically priced rod. Andy

I don't think I've ever heard of any other brand of rod that breaks as often as Fenwick and it seems to be a very common complaint with them for some reason.

Exactly. Rapala rods are snappers too though.

Owned 3 Fenwicks now. 2 med/heavy Walleye class and the other was a slightly lower end, maybe g2 or something like that. Anyway, snapped 1 a year. As much as I love them when they're intact; their great sensitvity, a product with such poor reliabilty (even if Pure Fishing will easily replace) will not get repeat business from me. That and, at the joint the rods were always twisting....

Too bad, used to love these rods but I have to give 'em 2 thumbs down nowadays.

My first decent feeling rod was a 6.6 Walleye Class Fenwick. But its demise was also breakage hooking up with a big one. Back then didnt know about replacement by manufacturer. Simply replaced it with a Lightning rod which also had great feel. Still have that one but its pretty rough condition. Thinking about using it for practice to give it the Spiel treatment. Presently my fav is a Shimano Crucial. Hope it stands up as well as the Lightning Rod did.

Hasnt been my experience Mike. The lightning rod was more sensitive than the walleye class was and it held up great. Spiel would be the guy to answer that question. Also have a gloomis that is crazy sensitive but it suffers from being too stiff for walleye fishing. I use it for pike fishing once in a while.

Well i have several fenwick rods and i think they are great,last year i bought an HMX,7ft and its awsome as well i use a fenwick for bottom bouncing for walleyes and ,it works well,i have several rods that are alot more money than my fenwicks but i still prefer my fenwicks ,all my fenwicks are in the $90 to 150 range and for that price you cant beat them....go fenwick all the ways and you wont be dissapointed....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

It's my belief that Berkeley actually makes the Fenwick Spinning/Casting rods. And yeah, as a cheaper alternative I'd agree the Lightning Rods are great with good sensitivity.

Mike, I think you're not far off base with that "brittle" comment.

I have a Canadian methods 7"foot spinning rod and its been good to me for the past 2 years my only complaint is the constant adjusting of the center if not you will find your self casting out the front peice of your rod, Anybody here can give me some tips so the second place stays in place?

All manufacturers have a low end price point entry level rods and reels. All are made off shore, very cheaply, they can afford to give a replacement warranty, no questions asked.

I have Fenwick and GLoomis rods that I have owned for 20 years, and are quite functional. Both were manufactured in Canada. My Fenwick rigger stiks have stood the time and manhandled many a large Lake Ont salmon.

Sometimes it pays to spend a little more money at your initial purchase.

John

Fenwick was a great rod, made in Ca. but they got bought out for their reputation and to eliminate the competition. If you can find one thats around 20 years old you got yourself a good rod.

B I L broke the end off my 25 year old fenwick last year but no other rod would have survived that either.

lesson.... never give up the good stuff, have a rod for lending.

Well, I think a couple posters here figured out the common denominator in this debate of quality with the Fenwick Rods going downhill after they moved production offshore. Quality control just hasn't been one of the strengths since Fenwick stopped manufacturing the rods here in Canada and the US. At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. I just traded up from my Fenwick HMG's, which I had 4 of and really enjoyed using. They are a very nice rod for 100 bucks a pop. No issues whatsoever. My suggestion is to get away from 2 piece unless it's necessary for car travel. You just don't want a weak point in the middle of your rod if you can avoid it. I switched to all one piece rods about 5 years ago and haven't looked back. Haven't had a single break, or even crack in any of my rods since then. Over the years, I've used Shimano Compres & Crucials, G.Loomis, HMGs and now St. Croix Premiers. I've been very happy with my Fenwick's over the past while but I do think some of the blanks are a little thinner than others to minimize weight. I'm now moving up to St. Croix Avid's to match up with my Team Daiwa reels and can't wait to give them a go on the boat this spring. They're so light but incredibly strong. Soft water fishing is just around the corner, need another couple weeks of milder weather to get the spring panfishing going.

Tight lines,

Paul