Livewell pump questions

Well it's been a while since I've used your collective wisdom so here is a good one.

Had to remove my live well pump yesterday and found out one of the two spacers is cracked.

See pictures attached. The angle spacers are there to provide extra transom support while the angle compensate the transom angle and allow the pump to be mounted horizontally.

Need ideas of how to solve the problem.

I can think of the following:

1) Try to glue somehow the cracked spacer with some sort of plastic melting glue and use it

2) Try to buy the same exact spacer....went to Attwood's web site. They don't make those exact pumps anymore but found an old installation instruction and they don't show those spacers there. So it might be something custom made/used either by Atwood or by Lund when installing my pump.

3) Try to make myself new spacers using Starboard material, glue two sheets together to get the right thickness (1 1/16") then drill 1" whole, and whole saw the 2" outside diameter, at the end cut diagonally to split the cylinder into two angled spacers....again see pictures....when you put the two spacers together you can see they were made by splitting diagonally one cylinder.

4) Try to find a 2" hard plastic rod I can use to cut, drill and cut diagonally to make two spacers....

Would appreciate your ideas and input on above as well as new ones and places where I can buy material ASAP as I'd like to put the boat back in the waters quickly since those Kings on Lake O. are waiting for me ;-)

IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0277.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg

IMG_0278.jpg

Attwood's Installation instructions:

http://www.fujiyachts.net/manuals/Attwood%20Aerator%20Pump%20500.pdf

Thanks for your input.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

I would but some marine epoxy in the crack, then take a 1/4 inch wide wire tiewrap and put it as tite as you can around the spacer, then leave it in place to add strength to the epoxy.

Not a bad idea mercman....now where can I find some good marine epoxy on Sunday ;-)

Quick search brought me this one....

http://jbweld.net/products/marine.php

But can't find it locally anywhere arround the GTA...

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

I've searched their web site and CT does sell JB Weld stuff but only one I could find was this one:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoRepairAccessories/Adhesives/PRD~0383711P/J-B%252BIndustro-Weld%252BCold%252BWeld%252BCompound%25252C%252BShop%252BSize.jsp?locale=en

not sure how good it is for under water line applications...

Will try calling them to see if they have the marineweld version of it.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

I would suggest a slow cure (24 hour) epoxy Emil and the tiewrap Mercman suggests is a great idea!

Unfortunately the stuff I've been using for 35 years is no longer available (LePage..... wallbash.gif )

I would think the JB weld would do the job, just don't use any of the quick set 5 minute crap.

If you want to try and purchase a workable replacement check out these guys.... They aren't cheap and do have a minimum (which I get around by buying something else I can also use, like hand cleaner or hack saw blades LOL) but they have saved me junking more than a few items when I needed that one odd ball fitting, or fastener.

http://www.spaenaur.com/services_spaenaur.asp

Walmart here sells new ones, like 500gph for around 20 bucks? I made the mistake of replacing mine once with a 750gph one, it would pump in faster than the water would drain out and overflow the livewell. It was an old boat, they may have made allowances for upgrades now.

Find a chunk of plastic/aluminum drill the appropriate sized hole to fit the pump and then cut the "chunk" in half with a band saw/ hand saw at the correct angle.

I may have some round stock in Delrin at home with the hole already bored... but I won't be there until at least next Monday night.

Here is what use I made of couple hockey pucks (red and black one) and didn't cost me anything ;-)

IMG_0280.jpg

IMG_0279.jpg

Not perfect as the factory but it just might work...got to try it tomorrow....same size as the original ones...and since it is rubber not plastic it may actually seal better.

Just not sure how will the puck react to the polyuritane sealant??

Any comments on that?

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

I would use Silicone caulking and I'm sure it would seal for ever....not really a big deal....but these fitting are available....most boating/marine stores do stock these fittings and should be very reasonable...I replaced mine about 10 years ago....got it on the shelf at the Marina I purchased my boat YEARS before.

Good Luck,

Bob