northern ontario advice

JayL88

going on fishing trip across ontario, leaving from windsor and heading up to kenora, will be gone 2 weeks from june 23rd till july 9th, will be leaving from windsor onto kitchener, onto north bay, onto hearst, onto thunder bay and then finally kenora so basically going up the center of ontario to get there (and will be following the shoreline down the western side of ontario to get home) first camp will be in hearst on stoddart lake (just west of fushimi prov. park) will be staying in provincial parks the whole time, (2 days or so at each park then moving on to the next) sleeping giant prov. park is one i know for sure (going there after hearst), the others...not to sure.. just gunna kinda wing it and see what we can find or pitch a tent in the middle of the bush somewhere lol gunna be staying at a fish camp in kenora also. some of the areas we will be fishing are: stoddart lake, lake nipigon, lac seul, eagle lake, white lake and everything in between.

anyway the most north ive been in ontario is kingston lol so.... kinda in the dark, basically just lookin for a little advice from locals or ppl who know the area, any recommendations on any other waters we should hit or what we should be targeting up there that time of year, depth, baits, lures, colors, etc. just any advice at all would help alot and be greatly appreciated! thanks to all who reply, cheers!

Edited by JayL88

Sorry can`t help you with any advice on the fishing in that area but it sounds like one heck of a trip! :Gonefishing:

yea should be great.. these next 4 weeks wont pass quick enough! lol will definitely be a nice change of scenery from windsor lol

You're in for a treat! Going solo?

nope, goin with my uncle, little bonding time lol he knows the area a bit, he goes from kitchener to hearst once a year but kenora area will be new to both of us, should be a good time, lookin foward to the hiking and scenery more than anything!

Sounds like a great trip for sure pack some bug juice as the black flies might be done but the skeeters will still be in full swing.

When you in Kenora you have to go to Figure 8 baits they just opened up there last fall and have a massive selection of musky gear and alot of other gear to. They will also give you great reports and are right on the water. I here you can try out just about any rod and reel combo you want to.

Hope you guys have a blast. Try asking Ron for some advice on the area he has spent many days in that area

wow that is one heck of a trip your planning.

Here is what I would do on the way up if I had this opportunity which is a dream trip in my eyes. One day my dog and I are going to do this!

I would fish nipissing or Temagami so you can say you did it and maybe you can get into one of the famous days they are known for.

From there I would hit Abitibi straight north of Kirkland lake. My wifes grandfather used to fish this lake alot and limited out in half hour for walleye more times then not. He always warned me about the rocks on this lake though. there are 700 islands so you can imagine that you dont want to go to fast as there is rock everywhere. This same rock is why there are tons of great fishing opps for Walleye and Pike.

After Abitibi I would make your way to Hearst. If it was me though I would continue on to Longlac. Longlac area is a fishermens dream. Little pressure and tons of fish. My dad used to sell for a mill up there and they used to go fishing as part of sales meetings and they would basically catch fish after fish with a jig and minnow combo for hours at a time. It was more rare not to get a bite then it was to catch a fish on everycast/drift.

From Longlac your only about 2 hours to Lake Nipigon.

From there you have all the big lakes I would fish in Northwestern ontario. On the way back I would hit White lake provincial park for the fishing opps there. It is little known but very productive from what I have heard. Finally on the way back it would be foolish not to fish a day or two on georgian bay which could very well be the most versitile fishing lake anywhere in canada. Huge Musky/pike, great walleye and bass fishing, go deeper and find rainbows and salmon.

Man I am excited for you! I hope to see a great report when you come back

Cheers!

Sleeping Giant Provincial Park is an awesome place to explore. A few must see locations are as follows.

Thunder Bay Lookout. A rough road but you can drive right up to the top of the giant and enjoy a magnificent view of Lake Superior and Thunder Bay. See if you can walk out on the observation deck without hanging on to the side rails. Bet you can't!

The Sea Lion. A beautiful rock arch structure on the edge of Superior. It's about a 20 minute moderate walk to get to it. Bring your camera with lots of batteries and memory.

Sealion7.jpg

Silver Islet is at the end of the road. There's lots of history here and a great view of the crystal clear waters of Superior. A very old general store that is still operating is the centre of activity here.

You also might want to check out Ouimet Canyon which is about 30 miles or so east of Sleeping Giant park. In fact, you will want to check it out.

Have a great journey!

are you planning on fishing the North Bay area?

no as far as i know were just passing thru and headin strait to hearst, too bad.. i would have had a local to talk to! lol

Sounds like a great trip for sure pack some bug juice as the black flies might be done but the skeeters will still be in full swing.

When you in Kenora you have to go to Figure 8 baits they just opened up there last fall and have a massive selection of musky gear and alot of other gear to. They will also give you great reports and are right on the water. I here you can try out just about any rod and reel combo you want to.

Hope you guys have a blast. Try asking Ron for some advice on the area he has spent many days in that area

oh ya i already went and grabbed 3 big cans of muskol at costo lol and thanks for the info on the shop, huge help!! thats pretty much all well be targeting in kenora is muskie so knowing a local shop im sure will help a ton!!

I'm in the area, I can help out with any questions you might have, just shoot me a pm. I'm about an 2 hours east of Kenora, but fish all over northwestern ontario.

thanks for the help bud, appreciate it!! ill be shootin ya a line in a little bit!

wow that is one heck of a trip your planning.

Here is what I would do on the way up if I had this opportunity which is a dream trip in my eyes. One day my dog and I are going to do this!

I would fish nipissing or Temagami so you can say you did it and maybe you can get into one of the famous days they are known for.

From there I would hit Abitibi straight north of Kirkland lake. My wifes grandfather used to fish this lake alot and limited out in half hour for walleye more times then not. He always warned me about the rocks on this lake though. there are 700 islands so you can imagine that you dont want to go to fast as there is rock everywhere. This same rock is why there are tons of great fishing opps for Walleye and Pike.

After Abitibi I would make your way to Hearst. If it was me though I would continue on to Longlac. Longlac area is a fishermens dream. Little pressure and tons of fish. My dad used to sell for a mill up there and they used to go fishing as part of sales meetings and they would basically catch fish after fish with a jig and minnow combo for hours at a time. It was more rare not to get a bite then it was to catch a fish on everycast/drift.

From Longlac your only about 2 hours to Lake Nipigon.

From there you have all the big lakes I would fish in Northwestern ontario. On the way back I would hit White lake provincial park for the fishing opps there. It is little known but very productive from what I have heard. Finally on the way back it would be foolish not to fish a day or two on georgian bay which could very well be the most versitile fishing lake anywhere in canada. Huge Musky/pike, great walleye and bass fishing, go deeper and find rainbows and salmon.

Man I am excited for you! I hope to see a great report when you come back

Cheers!

wow uve been plannin! lol hell you got me even more excited now! ill be emailing ur reply to my uncle and see what he thinks, u mentioned alot of great spots i wouldnt mind givin a look, i think well defitally be hittin georgian bay on the way back and yea ill definitely post a full report when i get back, will have a ton of pics!! cheers

Sleeping Giant Provincial Park is an awesome place to explore. A few must see locations are as follows.

Thunder Bay Lookout. A rough road but you can drive right up to the top of the giant and enjoy a magnificent view of Lake Superior and Thunder Bay. See if you can walk out on the observation deck without hanging on to the side rails. Bet you can't!

The Sea Lion. A beautiful rock arch structure on the edge of Superior. It's about a 20 minute moderate walk to get to it. Bring your camera with lots of batteries and memory.

Silver Islet is at the end of the road. There's lots of history here and a great view of the crystal clear waters of Superior. A very old general store that is still operating is the centre of activity here.

You also might want to check out Ouimet Canyon which is about 30 miles or so east of Sleeping Giant park. In fact, you will want to check it out.

Have a great journey!

yea honestly i think ive been looking foward to sleeping giant more than anything else, ive looked at a ton of pics and videos and i cant believe the beauty, that alone will probly fill my camera!! lol already went out and bought a new pair of boots, figure ill be doin more hiking than fishing in that area, i without a doubt will be cheaking out every spot you mentioned! thanks for the info!!

Too bad, North Bay has some great fishing. But I don't blame you for passing through, it's better up north.

I would say minnow patters and jigs with curlytail grubs would work pretty well for bass and walleye on most shield lakes.

As far as Eagle Lake goes, muskie opens the 3rd week of june and I fished the west arm over the opener . it was the dead sea. guys in the tourist camp next to our location were working their butts off and only getting the odd northern. our group got 1 walleye in 4 days. but the trout were biting.

If you are planning to fish Eagle get in touch with limeyangler, he knows the eastend of the lake. and after loooking at some of his posts, he knows where the fish are.

Too bad, North Bay has some great fishing. But I don't blame you for passing through, it's better up north.

I would say minnow patters and jigs with curlytail grubs would work pretty well for bass and walleye on most shield lakes.

thanks for the tip bud, seems like every1s unanimous on jigs and minnows, looks like ill need some more fin-s and grubs!

As far as Eagle Lake goes, muskie opens the 3rd week of june and I fished the west arm over the opener . it was the dead sea. guys in the tourist camp next to our location were working their butts off and only getting the odd northern. our group got 1 walleye in 4 days. but the trout were biting.

If you are planning to fish Eagle get in touch with limeyangler, he knows the eastend of the lake. and after loooking at some of his posts, he knows where the fish are.

looks like we'll be targeting trout when on eagle lake then, id like to catch a little bit of everything on this trip so i wouldnt mind gettin into some trout!

Have a great journey!

oh forgot to ask ya if ya got me phaneufs autograph? lol noticed your pic!