Lure for Pike but not Bass

appleb

I was fishing at Milne Park over the weekend with a Krocodile, hoping to catch a Pike but I ended up catching an out of season Bass instead. I released the bass of course. I'm wondering if there are any lures that are better suited for catching Pike that the largemouths will ignore? I would rather not catch the bass at all.

Edited by appleb

Since they live in the same areas and eat pretty much the same forage, you're best bet is to use larger lures, more suited for Pike/Musky. That should cut down most of the (smaller) Bass.

Edited by Stoty

Glad you said smaller bass.LOL

I believe Lew has a pic of a large bass on a musky bait.

Kind of hard this time of year IMO, as the bass are just as hungry as the pike. Maybe try large spoon type baits. Minnow jerk/slash baits, will attract both.

I would have suggested using spoons as I've never caught a bass on a spoon but it sounds like you already tried that!

Actually I did switch to a Johnson Silver Minnow for about an hour, but it didn't produce anything.  As a sidenote, is it necessary to add anything to the hook of the silver minnow or can you just cast it as is?

Back-in-the-day a Silver Minnow was always fished with a pork-rind trailer. I liked the long thin Uncle Josh Porker or the old Lucky Strike Porko.

Yer just asking for more bass trouble with that combo.

Garry, that brings back some memories.Ol uncle josh. :canadian:

Ok, now you done it Lew. Everyone will be running out to buy Suicks for walleye.

And while their in the fish'n store for the Suicks, they should pick up some big azz spinner baits too Roy :lol::lol:

Cnv0551.jpg

Actually I did switch to a Johnson Silver Minnow for about an hour, but it didn't produce anything. As a sidenote, is it necessary to add anything to the hook of the silver minnow or can you just cast it as is?

I have always added a Twin tail (like mister twister) to the silver minnow.

Try itbiggrin.gif

It's pretty much impossible to keep bass from hitting your pike lures, even larger lures. All you can do is release the bass and get them in the water as quickly as you can without taking a photo. If you are catching multiple bass on a spot, just move to a different spot. That's about it. Some larger lures will limit the smaller bass, but you may be limiting your pike as well with only musky-sized lures... and you'll probably still catch some bass.

I have always liked a Mr.Twister trailer on a Johnson Silver Minnow, pike love the twister tail on them :thumbsup_anim:

Good fishing!

Aaron

I'm wondering if there are any lures that are better suited for catching Pike that the largemouths will ignore? I would rather not catch the bass at all.

Almost impossible....UNLESS....someone could bottle up the scent of me fishing a Tournament on Stoney lake and spray it on your lures. This will rid you of any serious problems with the bass.