Aluminum boats vs fiberglass

ricdorais

A work colleague has just bought a boat. It is a 20-foot Princecraft aluminum boat. I’ve been fiberglass boat owner for several years and it was thefirst time I tried a boat ofthis type. Very surprised! You can feel that theboat is very light but it is also very stable in the waves ... He told me they have a doublereverse chine hull design that keep theboat stable and helps to have a better control. Princecraft even have deck boats that are very beautiful and it’s hard to see the difference with a fiberglass boat ... I think I'll really consider this brand (www.princecraft.com) for my next purchase! What do you think of Princecraft boats?

A work colleague has just bought a boat. It is a 20-foot Princecraft aluminum boat. I've been fiberglass boat owner for several years and it was thefirst time I tried a boat ofthis type. Very surprised! You can feel that theboat is very light but it is also very stable in the waves ... He told me they have a doublereverse chine hull design that keep theboat stable and helps to have a better control. Princecraft even have deck boats that are very beautiful and it's hard to see the difference with a fiberglass boat ... I think I'll really consider this brand (www.princecraft.com) for my next purchase! What do you think of Princecraft boats?

Is this spam?

I just bought a small 16' Starfish DLX SC, and am in love with it.Its a good compact stable fishing platform.

My dad and his dad have always had Princecraft boats, so i am brand bias, but they are well designed, and nicely equipped for the buck.Mine, boat, motor (40 Merc) and trailer was 11.5K a really good deal IMHO. Plus, i had him throw in the spare tire and standup bow seat for free.whistling.gif

Paul

Princecraft make great aluminum boats and they are Canadian built in Quebec right Dore_ric? One day I ran across Lake O in a 20ft princecraft and just got soaked, I blamed it on driver error but he swore it was the boat. Then again, I dont think it had the "doublereverse chine hull design - reg. TM" though as it was a couple years ago. Ran a 2050 Lund and never got close to saoked as I did then.

I would much rather run a glass boat in big water. Hands down, no question about it. Ran a 20ft aluminum and a 20ft glass on alot of big water and the glass way out handled the tinny.

Edited by Harrison

Thank you for your prompt response. I know that this is my first post, I just wanted more information on people who have experienced boats of this company. I'm in a buying process for my first aluminum boat, so I would like to learn more from owner. I want the best boat available.

Edited by dore_ric

But Rich, if I were you and I was really serious about purchasing a Princecraft, I'd make an appointment with Princecraft marketing department and ask for a plant tour. I mean it's not like your not living in the same small town where they are made. Maybe you can take some pictures and show us? We love pictures and Princecrafts really are good boats.

I've just been at the open house (it was really impressive to see the technology now used for building boats that are made ​​right here in Quebec), but unfortunately I didn't took pictures of the event. I found some pictures on the Facebook fan page of Princecraft!!

As I live in Princeville and everyone in my area are a fan of Princecraft, I asked that question to have external review of this brand of boat...

Thank you Roy and other members for your respond!

A friend has a princecraft and the thing is horrible in big waves. We were out on nip on a windy day and travel was painful! I think it is do to the material being so light rather than design. felt like i was in a tin can going over niagra falls. Glass forever!

In the fall of 09 I bought a 2000 Princecraft - 176 Fish n Promenade model. The boat looked like new....but in anything over 1 ft of waves the boat rides like pure crap....if your fillings are loose you'll lose them! I was and still am very surprised and disappointed in this aspect. After everything I had heard about Princecraft being a quality boat it was a big disappointment to me.

In addition to the poor ride I have found that all of the plywood behind the foam padding in the bow of the boat has rotted and basically disenergrated. I am in the process of reconstructing same.In addition the floor appears a little spongy and will most likely need to be replaced in the next couple of years.

I was not expecting the above from a quality builder.

quote name='TheLeetAngler' date='18 May 2011 - 03:06 PM' timestamp='1305749192' post='584594']

You want us to go to the Facebook page now?

:blink:

I have been on wood boats, steel boat, aluminum boats and fiberglass boats, some have a reputation as a good riding boat, some merely fair.

Dad had two wooden Lyman`s, a much better ride than his same size Sandusky wood boat. Different hull designs and the Lyman`s were a heavier boat even though the size and motor was the same.

Most of the tri hull glass boats I have been on were great in calm water, they would beat you up in rough water at the same speed.

My 25 foot Searay rode better than a 25 foot Bayliner, just a better hull design and heavier construction.

All the bass boats I have been on rode well, but taking one out in the Great Lakes in 4 to 6 footers usually isn`t a good plan.

Buy a boat that suits your intented uses.

Had a 17 foot Smokercraft for 20 years, aluminum and never a leak, and it rode well in decent waters, 3-5 foot waves weren`t what it was made for.