French River help please

brianz

good morning! new poster here, but i have been following your forum for a few weeks. great community you guys have here, very friendly and informative.

i will be heading up to the French River staying at Cranes Lochaven Lodge on 5/27- 6/4. from what i can tell the river is up about 1.5 meters over historical norms.

the last time i fishe dup there was the same week in '05 and the river was just slightly lower than normal.

we had tons of walleye fishing at night casting stickbaits to points and jig and minnows on weed edges.

i am curious how you guys think the higher water will impact our fishing. i presume the fish will be in basically the same type of post spawn spots as normal and its just a matter of finding the right combination of depth and sturcture that teh bait and walleye are relating to.

how about the northern pike? will they be doing anything differently because of the higher water?

any thoughts or opinions are very welcome and i appreciate your help in this thread and all the others that i have read along with.

Brian

You might find those pike up in the weeds a bit more if the water is up that high (Usually when I fish the French the weeds are in 6inches or so of water) Can't complain about high water levels though! I'll most likely be back up in the Main Channel somewhere with the oldman this year.

good morning! new poster here, but i have been following your forum for a few weeks. great community you guys have here, very friendly and informative.

i will be heading up to the French River staying at Cranes Lochaven Lodge on 5/27- 6/4. from what i can tell the river is up about 1.5 meters over historical norms.

the last time i fishe dup there was the same week in '05 and the river was just slightly lower than normal.

we had tons of walleye fishing at night casting stickbaits to points and jig and minnows on weed edges.

i am curious how you guys think the higher water will impact our fishing. i presume the fish will be in basically the same type of post spawn spots as normal and its just a matter of finding the right combination of depth and sturcture that teh bait and walleye are relating to.

how about the northern pike? will they be doing anything differently because of the higher water?

any thoughts or opinions are very welcome and i appreciate your help in this thread and all the others that i have read along with.

Brian

fishing french river, we had almost zero luck last year. i think we went for muskie opener if not mistaken. water levels been lower by 3 feet or so. none of the fishermen catch anything in those 3-4 days we stayed there. i guess one of those lousy weeks for fishing.

i hope you have luck and something to show when you come back. i really liked the nature along the river. would love to come back again. but not sure if its worth it after last trip$$$

This is just a general thought not specific to the French.

Late spring and high cold water generally means fish shallow.

If you think you're fishing shallow enough go even shallower. :)

Defintely less than 10', many times 3-6'...

Under these identical conditions in the shield lakes I fish the best early season spots are the warmest.

Shallow south facing bays protected from the main body of water are key.

Edited by solopaddler

It should make for better fishing. Go get them!

Agreed. I've always found a late spring and high water means great fishing.

Assuming you find them of course. If you don't have a temperature readout on your finder buy a thermometer. Check the temps in various different spots. Even a difference of 2-3 degrees can be huge this time of year and usually that's where the fish are.

Remember, think shallow and protected and look for new weedgrowth.

If you think you're fishing shallow enough go even shallower. smile.gif

Under these identical conditions in the shield lakes I fish the best early season spots are the warmest.

We went to a zone 16 pike lake last weekend for opener....every fish was caught in water between 2-5 feet. We sighted a couple of big pike in the 2 foot depth....think shallow this year for sure!! But thiis water is murky, so a clear water like the french might be a bit deeper...good luck!!

fish the moving water. especially this year. you'll likely have company.

you will not find much in the way of weeds up there just yet.

Edited by Raf

If you think you're fishing shallow enough go even shallower. :)

fish the moving water. especially this year. you'll likely have company.

you will not find much in the way of weeds up there just yet.

Both excellent pieces of advice.

For walleye, fish the moving water during the day, early morning until evening, try to work back eddies (walleye are lazy this time of the year and like to sit and wait for a meal to drop by) as much as you can, I like to use a drop shot rig with minnows, I put the hook in through one eye socket and out the other, this makes the minnow look like it is swimming up stream and very natural to the walleye.

It takes a bit of practice but the technique is to drop your line fast (free spool) with a fairly heavy weight and snelled hooks about 18 and 36 inches up the line. Let the current bow your line (lowering the minnow), wait a minute, if nothing happens, lift your weight and repeat, letting your weight catch and hold bottom, again lowering the minnow. (you will get a lot of snaggs doing this so take plenty of weights and hooks, you will also get a lot of walleye)

I use to guide in the French (many years ago) and could usually put limits in the boat when others were getting skunked). Rick, can you back me up on this? :whistling:

Evening walleye; If you can, fish shallow fast moving water (above or just below rapids using husky jerks, rapals, that sort of thing. Don't be afraid to go a little larger than you would normally think and use something that will run shallow. Very slow retrieve up stream, let the current do the work for you. Move your lure up stream 2-3' pause for 30 seconds and repeat. I use to like to do this right from shore, they will come in very close.

Mid day troll back bays for the pike troll slow, keep your lure in the prop wash and no deeper than you can see it, If you can't see your lure you are too deep, I like to use a Williams Silver or half and half, just depends on the light conditions, Red Devil works but so do a lot of other things. There is no 100% answer.

Late evening (sunset until whenever)casting points, docks, almost anywhere near weeds using shallow running baits will work well for the walleye. One of my best producers is a #3 silver Mepps tipped with two (not one, not 3)but two, 2" white twister tails.

Good luck, let me know how you do, and enjoy God's country!

Edited by Big Cliff

Guest gbfisher

A blue and silver shallow running walleye diver in tight(bumping the rocks in slow current) in the evening will get you fish. It's the way of the RIV! :good: and you'll need a lot of bug juice.

Edited by gbfisher

Thank you brianz for bringing up this topic and thanks to all the fellas for all the great tips. I'm heading up to Wolseley lodge next week and will put them to work.

Say Hi to Harold and Ingrid for me. We have been hitting Wolseley Lodge in September for a number of years now, but won't make it up this year. Gonna spend that time with my Dad over on the Rideau system for bass. Last September, one guy in camp landed 6 musky in one week - all within a mile or so of camp. Unfortunately, musky won't be in for another month yet.

Good luck to all you guys and post a few pics. Show me what I'll be missing this year.

thanks for everyones tips and help...truly a great community of fishermen/women.

although Ed is a great guy i try not to bother him with "where should i fish" questions, i dont want to be "that american". hunting these fish is more than half the fun for me.

i also have plenty of bug juice, last time i was there the black flies were pretty insane at times and even though i only got a couple of bites, the welts lasted a couple weeks...small price to pay for that type of exceptional fishing.

i will be taking a waterproof digi camera this time and hope to capture some pix of beatiful fish and scenery and share them with you all on my return.

thanks again everyone.

Brian, Ed is a good guy and you shouldn't be afraid to ask him for what's been working. Afterall, who better to ask than the guy who lives on the river from May to Thanksgiving. It's also obviously in his interest that you leave happy (and come back next year).

thanks for everyones tips and help...truly a great community of fishermen/women.

although Ed is a great guy i try not to bother him with "where should i fish" questions, i dont want to be "that american". hunting these fish is more than half the fun for me.

i also have plenty of bug juice, last time i was there the black flies were pretty insane at times and even though i only got a couple of bites, the welts lasted a couple weeks...small price to pay for that type of exceptional fishing.

i will be taking a waterproof digi camera this time and hope to capture some pix of beatiful fish and scenery and share them with you all on my return.

thanks again everyone.

"That American"??.....not sure how to take that. I fish at Crane's 2-3 times a year, and while I have discovered many, many spots "where to fish" on my own, I would never hesitate to ask a lodge owner where he may be aware of early weed growth. He's as interested in you having a good experience as much as you are. Also, finding weeds after mid june is never a problem, but prior to that, good weeds may be hard to find. Moreso when the water is at above average and it's been a cloudy spring. On a short trip, this kind of advice can go along way to having a good trip.

Edited by bigcreekdad

"That American"??.....not sure how to take that. I fish at Crane's 2-3 times a year, and while I have discovered many, many spots "where to fish" on my own, I would never hesitate to ask a lodge owner where he may be aware of early weed growth. He's as interested in you having a good experience as much as you are. Also, finding weeds after mid june is never a problem, but prior to that, good weeds may be hard to find. Moreso when the water is at above average and it's been a cloudy spring. On a short trip, this kind of advice can go along way to having a good trip.

Just as a follow-up, some lodges have maps they give their customers. Wolseley Lodge has one that marks some different areas where specific species have been caught - or a good place to start. I'd wouldn't hesitate to ask, especially if this is your first time in the area. They'll get you started and do some exploring on your own. Even as I move from one spot to another, I'll be looking around to find some others.

"that American" , to me is the guy that asks for "x marks the spot" locations for catching. the guy that wants things handed to him. the guy that thinks they should bypass teh use of a guide but has no problem trying to squeexe as much free info as possible... didnt mean to open a can of worms here.

to be clear, i am quite certain i will be enjoying some fun dialogue with Ed and many of the rest of his staff while visiting. some of that dialogue may even be discussing the fishing/catching. but i won't be asking Ed where i should be fishing. for me its just rude (thats me not saying anything about anyone else). i think discussing patterns and colors and depths is fine but being pointed to an exact location takes teh fun out of it for me.

i know Ed has a vested interest in me having a good time, and i can tell you that even if teh fishing is off i would still choose that lodge because of all the reasons OTHER than the fishing that enhances the fishing experience.

thanks again for all the tips.

Further to my original post, I forgot to mention; use light line, the lighter the better when fishing the walleye. I have often seen guys sitting in the boat using 10 or 12 lb mono and not catching a thing while the guys using 4 or 6 lb mono were pounding the fish. This is especially important if the water is clear and you are using live bait. Lighter line also presents less drag on the line from the current which allows you a more sensitive feal. Wish I was going with you!!!!

Cliff

"that American" , to me is the guy that asks for "x marks the spot" locations for catching. the guy that wants things handed to him. the guy that thinks they should bypass teh use of a guide but has no problem trying to squeexe as much free info as possible... didnt mean to open a can of worms here.

to be clear, i am quite certain i will be enjoying some fun dialogue with Ed and many of the rest of his staff while visiting. some of that dialogue may even be discussing the fishing/catching. but i won't be asking Ed where i should be fishing. for me its just rude (thats me not saying anything about anyone else). i think discussing patterns and colors and depths is fine but being pointed to an exact location takes teh fun out of it for me.

i know Ed has a vested interest in me having a good time, and i can tell you that even if teh fishing is off i would still choose that lodge because of all the reasons OTHER than the fishing that enhances the fishing experience.

thanks again for all the tips.

If we cross paths and I'll buy you a beer. And, I promise, I 'll tell you exactly where I have success. I'm old enough that I'm not as competitive as I once was. I'd love to hear you did as well, or better, than I. Imay be stupid, but I love directing newcomers to spots. It's stillo up to them to figure out how to catch them.

You are right about Crane's. If it was just fishing, I probably would try other locations. However, this lodge, as well as the French River ambience, is special. On the other hand, there are some awesome muskies there, and my biggest (47") was caught while Ed was cooking us lunch. I take him or his son Eric, a couple of times a year for the comaraderie and a good old fashioned shore lunch. Also, I have a 28 year old developmentally disabled son I take along at least once a year. Ed, Sue, and EVERYONE there treats him like one of the family. I'm there for life, even if all we catch are ten inch perch.

I hope we can link up.....I've made many friends there.

If we cross paths and I'll buy you a beer. And, I promise, I 'll tell you exactly where I have success. I'm old enough that I'm not as competitive as I once was. I'd love to hear you did as well, or better, than I. Imay be stupid, but I love directing newcomers to spots. It's stillo up to them to figure out how to catch them.

You are right about Crane's. If it was just fishing, I probably would try other locations. However, this lodge, as well as the French River ambience, is special. On the other hand, there are some awesome muskies there, and my biggest (47") was caught while Ed was cooking us lunch. I take him or his son Eric, a couple of times a year for the comaraderie and a good old fashioned shore lunch. Also, I have a 28 year old developmentally disabled son I take along at least once a year. Ed, Sue, and EVERYONE there treats him like one of the family. I'm there for life, even if all we catch are ten inch perch.

I hope we can link up.....I've made many friends there.

Deal! but if you're spilling the spots i am buying the beers!

thanks for your help.

Deal! but if you're spilling the spots i am buying the beers!

thanks for your help.

Actually, and you have to swear not to pass this around, but the best fishing is off the dock. You may catch nothing much at first, but if you stay there all day, you'll see what I mean. Remember....shhh.