Teach me how to fish with a leech

10point

I have never used a leech and have not really fished for walleye but will be in June at Dog Lake. I plan to use leeches. Do I just use a jig head and bounce them off the bottom or should I use a lindy rig which I also have not used before. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I used to fish leeches all the time, but haven't bothered with any live bait for a long time. I guess I'm just to lazy to look after them! LOL

I liked a Lindy rig with a 1/4 oz. walking sinker that is free to slide up and down the main line. Then a swivel and leader tied to a "Phelps Floater" jig and leech hooked through the "sucker end". Just stick your hand in the leech bucket and the most aggressive one will find you! This is the one you want!

Experiment with different leader lengths, colours of jigs, and even sinker weights. It's nice to have the jig head and leech floating just above the weeds.

You can also play around with different set-ups including different floats, coloured beads, and even spinner blades. Leeches are pretty hardy. All you need to do is keep them with fresh water and keep them cold. They are a lot tougher than nightcrawlers if there are lots of panfish around as well. Worms would also be good to try.

I always found Minnows so fragile and they died on me more often than not.

Let us know how you make out!

Bottom bouncer and slip bobber rigs would also work. I really like Lindy Rigs, but I find that the fish tend to swallow the hook more often. It's fine if you want to keep them, but if you get to the point where you are catching a lot of fish and have to release them other methods might be better.

Hook the leech through its mouth. Their skin is pretty tough, so you only really need to pass the hook through once.

I find using aLeech Tamer to hold them in is handy as well.

Fishing with a leach can be hard and a long expensive day...take my cousin Don...he was the best leach I know....I paid for everything and when he reached into his pocket at the end of the day he only had $5 to give me for truck gas, boat gas, tolls and bait...I no longer fish with the leach.... :whistling:

Fishing with a leach can be hard and a long expensive day...take my cousin Don...he was the best leach I know....I paid for everything and when he reached into his pocket at the end of the day he only had $5 to give me for truck gas, boat gas, tolls and bait...I no longer fish with the leach.... :whistling:

Billy I have weeded out a few of them leeches also. One thought if he brought minnows that was his share. I don't use minnows for walleye and by the end of our last trip out he was using my gulp alive so he could catch a fish.